Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Towbar issues.

Views : 953

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 21:48   #11
V70Driver76

I'm interested but the forum won't let me message you.

How much and does it include genuine Volvo electrics?
V70Driver76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 22:17   #12
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I'll try to get some photos uploaded tomorrow. It's complete with 13 pin electrics with the TRM that just plugs straight into the connectors under the boot floor, and you add two fuses (included). Also to be included is a printed copy of the Volvo installation instructions.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2017, 22:24   #13
V70Driver76

Thanks - I assume it would still need coding in.

If you could message me with details (price etc), I am on the lookout for a tow bar.
V70Driver76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 10:03   #14
cheffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
Do you mean that the towbar bracket was on the car when you bought it, or also the part you show on the pictures? The removable part, that is?

I'm asking because the first thing one has to learn when you have a car with a detachable towing hitch is to detach. They do not survive if they sit on the car all the time. The mechanism deteriorates and stops working. The detachable part should rid in the luggage compartment at all times when it's not used. If you maintain them like that, then you don't get problems.
The car was sold to me by the main dealer with everything already installed. All the electrics, the bracket, the part in the picture, the lot.

Thanks for the hint about not riding around with it on the whole time. I had no idea and the salesperson never mentioned anything about it. I took the car back to the dealer this morning as it would appear that the mechanism has seized and I can't get it back on. The part in the picture is still at the dealer as I type this and they're trying to unseize it it for me. Once I get it back and take the tree chippings to the tip (whenever that'll be) I'll make sure to take it off and store it in the boot. Is it a good idea to keep them well lubed up so the mechanism doesn't seize again?
cheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 10:06   #15
cheffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
If you need a genuine Volvo removable towbar, I've got one for sale
You've tweaked my curiosity. What's the difference between a genuine Volvo towbar and the one I've got? Also, how much work would there be involved in swapping the one I have for a genuine one?
cheffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2017, 13:06   #16
Simon Jones
Premier Member

I'm not familiar with the tow bar you have, but this is what the one I have looks like. It was purchased by a gentleman who had it fitted with a view to towing a caravan but due to ill health he never used it. Subsequently, it was removed before he traded the car in so it's pretty much good as new. In terms of fitting, it should just be a case of removing one & refitting it in the same way. If yours is faulty (as opposed to not being fully locked in place), then the problem could lay with either the hitch or the bar to which it locates so it would wise to replace both parts rather than mix & match two different sets.

If this is of any use to you, or anyone else on the forum, let me know & I'll work out a price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Towbar & TRM 2.jpg (129.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Towbar & TRM.jpg (144.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Part number.jpg (80.3 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Plate.jpg (77.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg TRM part number.jpg (51.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Hitch attached.jpg (117.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Hitch dettached.jpg (137.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Cover, bag, fuses.jpg (133.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by Simon Jones; Jul 24th, 2017 at 13:14.
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 13:19   #17
apersson850
Premier Member

Volvo has over the years used different subcontractors for the towbars, like Thule, Brink and VBG.
Note when fitting an already installed towbar once again, you may need new bolts, to be able to tighten them correctly.

Some such manufacturers make towbars that fits Volvo cars, without actually being labeled "Volvo". Just make sure the towbar is rated at least the same as the car is, so you don't compromise the towing capacity for such a stupid reason.

Last edited by apersson850; Jul 28th, 2017 at 13:21.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 16:56   #18
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Sometimes, one tow bar has multiple brand names
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Manufacturers 2.jpg (149.9 KB, 15 views)
Old Jul 28th, 2017, 20:27   #19
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Jones View Post
Sometimes, one tow bar has multiple brand names
Yeah I have had the same thing. Thule sold out their towing section to Brink and brink still use the Thule name on some products. Volvo simply want their name on their genuine parts.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote