Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car won't start checklist....

Views : 5311

Replies : 77

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2017, 08:37   #21
Semnoz

and.....it's not starting again this morning....at all. So most probably not related to engine speed as it's turning quicker than before with this new battery.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 09:28   #22
Splodger

That's what I fear in the morning when I go to start the car now, fingers crossed all ok.

Hope you get it sorted for the hols.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 09:41   #23
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnoz View Post
and.....it's not starting again this morning....at all. So most probably not related to engine speed as it's turning quicker than before with this new battery.
Capture the same data exactly as per the video.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 10:07   #24
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Capture the same data exactly as per the video.
I did set Torque logging for one of the [failed] attempts to start this morning. It's still configured the same as yesterday, so not setup as per the video, but I will do this eventually. The following is about 10 seconds of data, the relevant part being the 2 seconds between me pressing the Start button, and then off again:

Old Jul 7th, 2017, 10:11   #25
cheshired5
Premier Member

Is there a particular reason why you don't do it the same as the video?
Coolant temperature is very important but missing and MAF is irrelevant but you include it.....
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 11:26   #26
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Is there a particular reason why you don't do it the same as the video?
Coolant temperature is very important but missing and MAF is irrelevant but you include it.....
The only reason is that I quickly configured Torque after first trying it on my Focus, and haven't yet spent any time re-configuring it to make it useful for diagnosing this current fault on the Volvo. Just lack of time, that's all.

The SiRobb YouTube channel was already my reference point for all things accurate and helpful (I owe the author of those videos a big thanks already !), so I'm by no means ignoring the one related to using ODB/Torque to diagnose engine not starting - I'd not come across it until you referenced it yesterday.

RE: coolant temperature, I was viewing this in real-time when the engine started yesterday. I can confirm that it initially matched ambient temperature, and started to rise once the engine had started. I recall that it had reached about 88°C after I drove the car for about 5 minutes, and then it cooled down gradually after stopping the engine again once back home. I'll configure the app to log this as well.

thanks again

Last edited by Semnoz; Jul 7th, 2017 at 11:29.
Semnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 11:34   #27
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Coolant temperature is of prime importance for starting the engine as it controls the "choke" function of the ECU's fueling regime. Without it the ECU doesn't know what fueling adjustments to make to enable the engine to run cold.
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 12:46   #28
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Coolant temperature is of prime importance for starting the engine as it controls the "choke" function of the ECU's fueling regime. Without it the ECU doesn't know what fueling adjustments to make to enable the engine to run cold.
That makes sense. When I back home after work, I'll have another go with Torque, this time logging coolant temp. Presumably I'm looking for an irregular value (e.g. way off ambient temp) or lack of value at all ?

However, if I have an intermittent fault with the coolant temp measurement, won't this have resulted in other problems, or error messages on the dash ?

Prior to this new issue of it not starting, there hadn't been a single issue, and no warning messages at all (for the time I've had the car at least).

I have another question, not about coolant temp, but related to fuel. I read somewhere that issues with the electronic fuel pump mainly manifest themselves with starting issues, and not once the engine is running as the mechanical fuel pump can pull enough diesel through on its own. And I guess the electronic pump could suddenly fail. I don't believe everything I read, but it might be valid ?
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 13:09   #29
tommyweaves
Premier Member

I had a 2006 Passat that had in -tank fuel pump (lift pump). One day it wouldn't start but turned over as normal. AA chap came out to look and gave the fuel tank a thump. Then it started. Apparently the fuel pump sticks on its bearing before failing completely. A thump was enough to get it going.

So possibly worth looking into that?
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 14:17   #30
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semnoz View Post
The SiRobb YouTube channel was already my reference point for all things accurate and helpful (I owe the author of those videos a big thanks already !)
In that case, your thanks are accepted.