Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Correct engine oil for 1.6D

Views : 6070

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 27th, 2019, 15:03   #11
AndyV7o
Premier Member

0w30 would have sod-all effect on emissions and only on a cold start not at full temp since 0w30 and 5w30 are both the same at operating temp.
Its possible the engines have been tightened up further for emissions regs thus arent happy with 5w when cold, but that would be reflected across all brands using this engine, since it isnt a volvo engine anf isnt exclusive to them. It would be interesting to see what the other brands of the same age are speccing.
It may just be volvo simplifying their oil range for cost/profit reasons.

Its all well and good saying volvo decide what oil, but if volvo decided to put 20w50 in then had loads of failures, PSA would tell em to F#-off, thats not the oil we intend that engine to run on. Volvo license the engine from PSA, and will also license the oil spec as part of that, PSA wont let em use just anything in there! PSA will permit A5/B5 since its a decent enough specification and clearly another brand wont want to use another brands in-house spec.
As said though, 0w30 is better than 5w30 for a number of reasons, though the difference id relatively minor.
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyV7o For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 15:14   #12
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
0w30 would have sod-all effect on emissions and only on a cold start not at full temp since 0w30 and 5w30 are both the same at operating temp.
Its possible the engines have been tightened up further for emissions regs thus arent happy with 5w when cold, but that would be reflected across all brands using this engine, since it isnt a volvo engine anf isnt exclusive to them. It would be interesting to see what the other brands of the same age are speccing.
It may just be volvo simplifying their oil range for cost/profit reasons.

Its all well and good saying volvo decide what oil, but if volvo decided to put 20w50 in then had loads of failures, PSA would tell em to F#-off, thats not the oil we intend that engine to run on. Volvo license the engine from PSA, and will also license the oil spec as part of that, PSA wont let em use just anything in there! PSA will permit A5/B5 since its a decent enough specification and clearly another brand wont want to use another brands in-house spec.
As said though, 0w30 is better than 5w30 for a number of reasons, though the difference id relatively minor.
volvo work with Castrol not PSA in deciding on the oil they need, they don't just buy in the engines off the Ford shelf, it is Ford they dealt with not PSA ,volvo define what they want to do with it , that has been how volvo do it historically , going right back, the Renault and VW engines they used were not just off the shelf they were modified by volvo to suit their needs .I don't think anyone would be so stupid to put 20W/50 in a modern engine do you ?.. and warm up emission tests could be exactly why they changed the grade . You and I can only speculate i am afraid .
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 17:24   #13
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Indeed speculate we can only!
20w50 was just for sake of conversation.
The 1.6d came about via ford ownership due to Ford coalition with PSA, but it is a psa engine and they own the ultimate rights, ford was only involved in 'evolving' the engine from its original design (afaik).
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 19:40   #14
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
Indeed speculate we can only!
20w50 was just for sake of conversation.
The 1.6d came about via ford ownership due to Ford coalition with PSA, but it is a psa engine and they own the ultimate rights, ford was only involved in 'evolving' the engine from its original design (afaik).

Yes it must be the worlds most popular diesel engine they all have Peugeot and Citroen logos cast into the block .
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 17:04   #15
emy

I went to Volvo dealer and I saw on the shelves only Total oil, what about Castrol? Have they stopped recommend it? Maybe they already know that there are lots of them counterfeit.
Speaking about Total, are both ok for v50 1.6D? Total Quartz INEO 5W-30 and Total Quartz 9000 Future NFC.
Usually the last one is recommended for V50 1.6D, but there are some owners use the other oil for the same car.
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 18:21   #16
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emy View Post
I went to Volvo dealer and I saw on the shelves only Total oil, what about Castrol? Have they stopped recommend it? Maybe they already know that there are lots of them counterfeit.
Speaking about Total, are both ok for v50 1.6D? Total Quartz INEO 5W-30 and Total Quartz 9000 Future NFC.
Usually the last one is recommended for V50 1.6D, but there are some owners use the other oil for the same car.
Volvo still work with Castrol , but the dealers are not bound to sell just that. they probably make more profit on Total Quartz 9000 5W/30 which is a good quality oil which Citroen recommend for their version of this engine ..
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 19:33   #17
AndyV7o
Premier Member

Total is very good oil, the ineo ecs is dedicated for this engine.
Volvo wont get counterfeit castrol, theyll have a relatively direct supply from castrol. Any counterfeit is generally ebay etc via dodgy sellers, but not as much about as purported.
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 09:53   #18
roony

Tesco have a cracking deal on at the minute for this oil.. £9 for 2ltrs. Ie £18 for an oil change....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey80 View Post
I use this stuff

Which is usually on offer from the likes of Tesco, Asda and Halfords.

Clan, even if the owners manual says otherwise?

roony is offline   Reply With Quote