Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Front Discs, Pads Replacement - Guide

Views : 8285

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread : galloot633

Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 21:29   #1
BestGear
Master Member

Default Front Discs, Pads Replacement - Guide

Hi Folks

Having replaced the rear brakes a few weeks ago, I decided to replace the fronts too. They were not too bad, but would need doing in a few months, so doing them now, meant that they did not need doing in mid-winter!

Anyway - firstly, getting the right partnumbers for genuine or aftermarket pads and discs for the front was tricky, as several conflicting numbers appeared for the VIN... and when looking at the diameters and size of pads, they did not agree!

Anyway - I was told that all UK XC90s have the same front discs and pads - I am not sure if this holds true for the 17" wheeled vehicles (mine is 18") but suspect it is.

This is further confused by the fact Volvo seem to state 16" or 17" wheel son the boxes and listings!

Anyway - these are the discs and pads...

Have a close look at the pads - the upper pad (in the picture above) has a small rectangle cut on the pad bracket - this is the bracket that you see from the front of the caliper and it locks the caliper anti-rattle spring.

It is not obvious when you look, but you need to unclip the spring from this bracket when you start the job. The bracket you see below - at the left hand side is the pad bracket - this its easy to see how to release the spring.

And..the spring when removed...

Anyway - when I first got the car, I thought it must have 2 or 4 pot calipers, given the size of the calipers - they are huge! They are however, single pot (piston), but are substancial.

The good news is that removing them follows what has become standard practice on most modern cars.

To remove the pads, you need to remove the two caliper slides. These are similar to the rear setup on this car - remove the two plastic caps (highlighted within the red ) then under them, two hex head pins - easy to remove and no threadlock so easy peasy.

Take note - unlike the rears, these pins are of differing lengths - the longer one being fitted to the upper slide.

When the caliper is removed, remove the pads - one is clipped into the caliper front, and the other clipped into the piston. When removed, ensure that you support the caliper properly, and that the rubber brake hose is not being unduly twisted or under tension.

Next - you need to remove the caliper carrier bracket. This is two bolts to the hub - shown below. These appear tight, but in reality, its just the threadlock holding them in.

Once the bracket is off, its a simple job of removing the centre 10mm bolt and removing the disc. If the disc is tight, give it a few hits from the rear to free it off. If its really stubborn, put some release oil through the wheel bolt holes aiming between the disc and hub - that usually does it.

With the disc removed...

So - put it all back together!

When refitting the disc, ensure that there is no debris between the hub surface and disc rear.

Its usually advised these days, to loosen the bleed nipple on the caliper when pushing the piston back in to save any risk or reversing the direction of any seals within the ABS or master cylinder. Your call - just get it pushed back!

Fit the pads to the caliper - both clip in.

Refit the caliper carrier, having replaced the bolts or cleaned the threadlock out of the original bolts - remember to use threadlock when fitting (if the replacements dont already come with threadlock in the threads).

Now, get the caliper back on the disc and fit the two slide pins having cleaned them up first - remember to observe the long/short fitment.

All that remains is to refit the spring - just the reverse of removal - this time clipping it into the pad bracket.

Its sensible to put some coppaslip around the hub centre where the wheel locates, as they often corrode on.

Thats it!

David

Last edited by BestGear; Oct 2nd, 2010 at 22:47.
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to BestGear For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 21:37   #2
chb
Master Member

Talking

Excellent guide, and as a photographer can I congratulate you in the quality of the photo's....you must be using something half decent.

oh...and what gold paint are you using for the calipers?
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 22:43   #3
BestGear
Master Member

Hi

The camera is my trusty Nikon D200... a bit "old" by todays standards but a well made body. Lense is a 18-200, which equates to 28-300mm in old money. Its not always easy to get the right shots when you want to get the job done - so some shots could be much improved...

Paint? - Hamerite smooth gold - and a 1/2" brush. I have always found you dont need to get every surface or indeed the whole caliper to look good.... which perhaps appears sloppy, but the end effect is good. Worth getting a tin of brake cleaner too - just to clean them up before painting.

Smooth Gold

Brake cleaner

The brake cleaner is available from tyre typical high street car shop - usually in 300 or 500ml tins.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to BestGear For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 08:18   #4
chb
Master Member

I have the same lens on my D80. Maybe we should be upgrading to D7000's
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 11:20   #5
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb View Post
I have the same lens on my D80. Maybe we should be upgrading to D7000's
It would be nice... but I am happy with the D200 really... I dont need more resolution in reality... plus, being full frame, you loose the convenience of the longer lenses as I am sure the 7000 is full frame...

David
Old Jun 24th, 2011, 17:32   #6
ascender

Thanks for this guide, its spot on.

Just for info as I was caught out, the allen/hex key you need to get the hex head pins out is a 7mm. I seemed to have every size but the 7 so had to make a quick trip to B&Q.

When replacing the pads with aftermarket ones, is it worth fixing the anti-noise shims to the back of them or not?
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 07:48   #7
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
When replacing the pads with aftermarket ones, is it worth fixing the anti-noise shims to the back of them or not?

I would always refit them....should fit no problems.

Give them a lick of coppaslip too to reduce possible noise.

David
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 09:13   #8
JimG
Premier Member

I wish we could get all of David's "How to" threads put in the Articles section. I've tried requesting it before but nothing seems to happen.

It would be nice if they were all in one place.

Thanks for the valuable guides David!

Jim.

www.alignmycar.co.uk
www.rearfacing.co.uk
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JimG For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2011, 17:52   #9
dsd1976

Excellent write up and top quality pictures used this guide a while back.. Even painted the calipers the same colour.

For anyone in north america I have the 18" wheels but had the 16" pads and discs installed.. This is on a T6 was told by the dealer that if the tyre pressure sticker behind the filler door shows psi for 16" wheels then you'll have the smaller disc/pads.
dsd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dsd1976 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2018, 19:47   #10
Pejo

David : if you still have all photo please share. I'm confusing with disc dimension as seller say xc90 have 3 different diameter disc.

thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pejo For This Useful Post: