Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thermostat replacement - Guide

Views : 33301

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 22:17   #21
Ron_XC90
Master Member

I like that interface!!!
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 08:20   #22
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Hi Chaps

perhaps the marked temperature is when its fully open, NOT when it starts to open?
Sounds like a little physics experiment is in order with a new thermostat, a bain marie and a thermometer. I did this once with an audi a4 thermostat that was also marked 90 degrees but was only fully open at that temp and began opening at around 85.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:11   #23
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_XC90 View Post
I like that interface!!!
Yeh, its nice and clear.... although you are limited to viewing data from 4 sensors at a time really.

You can step through the data and see chronologically what each sensor is doing... and also if any DTC appear, you see what each sensor was up to exactly when the DTC was triggered - handy for diagnostics.

David
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 09:14   #24
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Sounds like a little physics experiment is in order with a new thermostat, a bain marie and a thermometer. I did this once with an audi a4 thermostat that was also marked 90 degrees but was only fully open at that temp and began opening at around 85.
Hi

Yes, think it must have started to open around 80-85 degrees... The flutter on the graph will be the stat opening and closing making the water temp fluctuates.... its just doing what a stat is meant to do - many folks think a stat is shut when cold, and open once hot..period. You dont really think about it opening and closing by varying degrees all the time the engine is in use.

The journey was a mix of heavy stop start trafiic and also 60mph on the bypass so a stable cruise.

At least my heater works now... we will see next winter when its really cold. I just got so fed up of never being able to sclear the screen with the heater if left to idle!

David

Last edited by BestGear; Mar 24th, 2011 at 12:00.
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 19:45   #25
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Hi

I had a wee search around the web and it seems that the stamped temperature on a themostat is the temperature that its fully open, NOT the temperature that it starts to open.

Having replaced the engine and EGR (yes, EGR - its water cooled) thermostats on my BMW E60 - the economy of the car has increased considerably (8-12MPG)! Seems that modern diesels are not fuel efficient unless circa 82-92 degrees.

David
Old Oct 28th, 2016, 21:33   #26
markh1

Gents,

This evening I have been trying (and failing) to remove the thermostat housing.

I can't for the life of me see a way of removing the lower torx bolt that holds the housing to the block. There are two holes there but neither of them are big enough to fit a torx driver through.

Please can someone tell me what tool they used?

Many thanks!
markh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2016, 09:08   #27
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Seems that modern diesels are not fuel efficient unless circa 82-92 degrees.
Would make sense.
As a reference: my XC90 runs at 87° to 89°C, very steady.
Mainly at 89°C on the motorway
Never seen it over 90°C

As we come into winter I will be interested in the warmup cycle when it gets under 9° and the auxilliary diesel heater kicks in (I got the car in March 2016 and it was already too warm to have the auxilliary heater run)

PS: here's a good page on testing thermostats:
http://www.davidboettcher.uk/thermostat.php
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 10:20   #28
JohnL

Best Gear,
What interface are you using please? Will it work on 2003 model year?

Markh1
Could you not open the hole out a bit more to take your torx?

John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 12:34   #29
markh1

John,

The thought did cross my mind but I am loathed to start drilling holes if other people have successfully managed to change the thermostat without drilling.

it would also not look very good to any prospective buyer as and when I sell the car on.

I have ordered a haynes manual so maybe that might help. If not the local volvo main dealers has quoted £170 labour to change it and will happily use the part I already have.
markh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 13:06   #30
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markh1 View Post
I am loathed to start drilling holes if other people have successfully managed to change the thermostat without drilling.
Could you not measure the hole diameter using a drill bit that just passes through then buy a torx driver with the same or smaller diameter?

The alternative is just to disassemble some components in the area to facilitate access.

Tags
diy, heater, replacement, thermostat, xc90