Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

!!HELP!! Stainless Manifold for a T5?

Views : 1500

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2012, 00:30   #1
dasonS70T5

Default !!HELP!! Stainless Manifold for a T5?

Hi has anyone got a Stainless Steel manifold on a T5? Myns an S70 1998 ex cop. Theres a few on ebay for Non Turbos, struggling to find any for Turbo cars tho?
I found this one and asked the guy if it will fit my car, he said it would but hes never fitted it to an S70 himself? (im not convinced haha).
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1606645136...84.m1423.l2649

Any help would be much appreciated
Thanks in advance!
dasonS70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 10:38   #2
Axionknight
Premier Member

That states 2004+ so I'd be wary about it fitting cars as old as ours, I can't see it being of a particularly high quality either, that's dirt cheap that is.....
Axionknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 17:06   #3
dasonS70T5

Gotta be better than the standard one? Anyone have any recomendations on where to get a custom one made then?
dasonS70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 18:26   #4
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasonS70T5 View Post
Gotta be better than the standard one? Anyone have any recomendations on where to get a custom one made then?
just buy a V70/S60R manifold, straight fit and better flowing its a proven mod and a straight fit, as for that stainless manifold i certainly would not fit it.
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 19:10   #5
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
just buy a V70/S60R manifold, straight fit and better flowing its a proven mod and a straight fit, as for that stainless manifold i certainly would not fit it.
Can you clarify both your claims that the R manifold is better flowing and as to why the stainless manifold wont fit?..
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 20:34   #6
zoidberg
Master Member

I have always been under the impression that a stainless manifold gave a 'ringing noise' where as the cast one acted in a damping effect.
Am I being deluded or correct ?????
zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2012, 23:59   #7
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strbryan View Post
Can you clarify both your claims that the R manifold is better flowing and as to why the stainless manifold wont fit?..
first of all i have a S60R manifold fitted to my car and the turbo spools up slightly quicker so therefore one would assume its flowing better, do you not agree??

As for the stainless manifold, i didnt say it wouldnt fit, i said i wouldnt buy it.

thanks Bryan
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 00:40   #8
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
I have always been under the impression that a stainless manifold gave a 'ringing noise' where as the cast one acted in a damping effect.
Am I being deluded or correct ?????
Deluded.
My Trans Am has stainless steel manifolds and it sounds the same.
Alot of motorbikes have them too (mine included) and that doesn't ring either
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 00:45   #9
strbryan
I've Been Banned

Quote:
first of all i have a S60R manifold fitted to my car and the turbo spools up slightly quicker so therefore one would assume its flowing better, do you not agree??
No, one would not agree, as I'm sure there are much better ways of testing how manifolds flow other then your ass dyno.One would need only to have a look at the R manifolds to discover here inherent floors.One also wonder as to what turbo was planing to fit to such a manifold as the K24 collector is some what different to the collector of the R manifold..

Quote:
As for the stainless manifold, i didnt say it wouldnt fit, i said i wouldnt buy it.

thanks Bryan
My bad for misunderstanding your recommendation as to why you wouldn't fit the stainless manifold..But would you be in the position to explain your findings as to why you wouldn't fit the manifold?..
strbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:52   #10
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

I can tell you that I wouldn't fit that ebay manifold as just looking at the pics it doesn't even look like it's straight! Looks nasty.

My opinion is that an me7 manifold would be a better option in terms of cost vs performance. I picked one up off ebay for £25 + P&P. This is based on the fact that the headers split off into more separate feeds than the standard manifold and that the ones that are together are such that the firing order means you won't get a pulse effect. However I have not properly flow tested it, or even had chance to fit it yet.

Difficult to explain in text and I'm a bit hungover so apologies if I've not made myself clear.

If you are swapping manifolds it is a good idea to get a gasket for an early V50 T5 as it's one piece (easier to fit) and cheaper than getting the 5 individual bits.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post: