Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parking Brake - Almost Non-Existant & dealer issues

Views : 4707

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 20:16   #11
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal master tech View Post
Ditch clelands and mate and head to Edinburgh for a proper dealer?!
Just curious. What part of Livingston are you in? I often stay in the Village.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 20:18   #12
Unreal master tech

As long as your not going to stalk me?! am in mid Calder just between Livingston and Edinburgh.
Unreal master tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 20:31   #13
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal master tech View Post
As long as your not going to stalk me?! am in mid Calder just between Livingston and Edinburgh.
No worry, that won't happen. Driven through there on the way to Edinburgh loads I'll keep my eyes open for an XC90 next time.
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 22:25   #14
Arianne
Premier Member

Default It truly gets worse & wose....

Update as at Thursday, 22nd March....

The dealer says that they have now found out what they really think is wrong. They say it's now the parking brake cable from the front of the car all the way to the back. They think it needs replacing because it's either frayed, snagged or seized somewhere.

They tell me it's a big job - heavy on labour. So they started by telling us that it's and extra £400 - £500. That's because they say they have to take all of the centre console out and remove the rear seats to do the work. Flippin' hec!

After some serious complaining the dealer says they'll discount the hourly labour rate and reduce the bill to approx £350. Which, together with the £150 I've already paid for this element of the overall service charge (that was £524 but £150 of that was for the useless first effort to fix the parking brake) means that I am paying £500 anyway! That's not customer care is it?

Anyway boys, to the point.......

1. What do you think? I've read the guru post thread on the parking brake problems and nobody talks about their XC90's needing rear seats and consoles removed to replace the cable;

2. What do you think of the cable thing? I asked the dealer if they're sure they've identified the problem and they say they're sure because they've already done everything else (shoes, discs, retainer springs and pads - £380 from June 2011, 8k miles ago and this week's work)!

There just doesn't seem to be any recognition from the dealer that the dealer's brand and reputation should be maintained by offering a proper, meaningful cash reduction to the remaining work. It's all just words but nothing substantive.

It's a bit fishy but do we have any choice?

Any help welcome. They still have the car and we're going in to see them tomorrow. Will check for any advice or good ideas first on this web site.

Thanks people......

Arianne
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 05:27   #15
AyrshireXC90

I would agree with your gut feeling; they are at it. How did they manage to get it thro the MOT if the parking brake is u/s? Also calls in to question the quality of their work if they thought the brake was ok after the job. Might they have damaged the cable while working on it? Good luck, but stroppy customer mode might be worthwhile. If they don't see reason, they might lose a valued customer - do point that out.
Gary
AyrshireXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:22   #16
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Update as at Thursday, 22nd March....

The dealer says that they have now found out what they really think is wrong. They say it's now the parking brake cable from the front of the car all the way to the back. They think it needs replacing because it's either frayed, snagged or seized somewhere.

They tell me it's a big job - heavy on labour. So they started by telling us that it's and extra £400 - £500. That's because they say they have to take all of the centre console out and remove the rear seats to do the work. Flippin' hec!

After some serious complaining the dealer says they'll discount the hourly labour rate and reduce the bill to approx £350. Which, together with the £150 I've already paid for this element of the overall service charge (that was £524 but £150 of that was for the useless first effort to fix the parking brake) means that I am paying £500 anyway! That's not customer care is it?

Anyway boys, to the point.......

1. What do you think? I've read the guru post thread on the parking brake problems and nobody talks about their XC90's needing rear seats and consoles removed to replace the cable;

2. What do you think of the cable thing? I asked the dealer if they're sure they've identified the problem and they say they're sure because they've already done everything else (shoes, discs, retainer springs and pads - £380 from June 2011, 8k miles ago and this week's work)!

There just doesn't seem to be any recognition from the dealer that the dealer's brand and reputation should be maintained by offering a proper, meaningful cash reduction to the remaining work. It's all just words but nothing substantive.

It's a bit fishy but do we have any choice?

Any help welcome. They still have the car and we're going in to see them tomorrow. Will check for any advice or good ideas first on this web site.

Thanks people......

Arianne
Armed with all that you know and what you've posted I'd go straight to Volvo UK with this one. That Volvo Dealer needs a stern talking to. I would also ask (like post above) how did they get it through the MoT like it was?? There is no way it passed a proper brake test??

If you get no joy with Dealer/ Volvo UK then also go straight to VOSA. Also tell the dealer this and I wouldn't be suprised if you get it fixed for 'Free'. The dealer will not want their MOT licence taken away from them nor excess regular visits from VOSA checking up on them. VOSA will re-test your car and then take appropriate action. As your car has literally just been MoT'd there is not much the dealer can come back with as your car should have clearly not passed.

Then you can always go on further to trading standards and complain too. Volvo have not provided the service/repair you have paid for. If Volvo had done their job properly they could have told you it needed all this extra work etc but they didn't! They probably on give it a quick look and sprayed on some grease. Fact is you paid for a repair and they took your money, if they have not done a sufficient repair then that I would say is their problem. The last thing they should have done was give you your car back saying it is all done and fine - when quite obviously it was not!! Especially on 'brakes' whick is one of the biggest safety systems on the car.

Thinking about it I wouldn't put it past them to have MOT's the car in the knowing they were to be looking at the brakes so have passed it? Then either they have not had time or couldn't then be bothered to do a proper job they were being paid for??

Wouldn't even be suprised if you could even involve the H&S Executive as the non existant repairs are a safety issue and potentially life threatning.

The incompetence of this dealer is quite frankly - momentous!! IMHO.

Last edited by SonyVaio; Mar 23rd, 2012 at 10:33.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:27   #17
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Meeting the dealer

My Husband & I are going to meet the dealer this afternoon and we're waiting for a call later to tell us the time of the appointment, hopefully with someone in authority.

It's a sad situation as, by & large, they have been a decent bunch since we bought the XC90 from them new in 2006.

Perhaps they will rescue this situation? I hope so as we really don't want the hassle of a dispute and future trips to Murray Volvo in Edinburgh - but perhaps we will have no choice.

Thanks guys, keep the advice flowing if you have anything to add.

Arianne
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arianne For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:50   #18
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
My Husband & I are going to meet the dealer this afternoon and we're waiting for a call later to tell us the time of the appointment, hopefully with someone in authority.

It's a sad situation as, by & large, they have been a decent bunch since we bought the XC90 from them new in 2006.

Perhaps they will rescue this situation? I hope so as we really don't want the hassle of a dispute and future trips to Murray Volvo in Edinburgh - but perhaps we will have no choice.

Thanks guys, keep the advice flowing if you have anything to add.

Arianne
I wouldn't wait too long for that call, I'd be more inclined to go down to the dealer and sit and wait there for them to see you. If they keep you waiting then kick up a fuss and they will soon see you.

Tell them you want to speak to both the Service Manager and the Dealership Pricipal - together!! State your case to both of them and don't allow yourself to be fobbed off. Don't just deal with some sales rep or the service counter staff. If both the service manager and pricipal is not available then arrange a time when they are. Although if just the Principal is available I would proceed with the meeting.

Tell them straight you are not happy with situation, your car came in for an MOT and for the handbarke to fixed. They have charged/invoiced you for the work, told you it was all done and sorted, it was all working and tested (MOT) and indeed, infact apparently pass the MOT (Certificate in hand).

You get your car back and straight away as soon as you get home you struggle to even keep the car on the virtually flat drive as the handbrake won't hold. This is with the handbrake pulled on to the last notch! There is no way the vehicle could have passed an MOT with it in its current condition (and that's got to be after their repair).

Tell them if they are not prepared to fix the item for 'Free' then you will contact anyone and everyone you can to highlight the fact that their conduct, workmanship and customer service is appauling! Tell them your next step is to contact Volvo UK as well as having the car retested by VOSA and that you will also be going to Trading Standards.

If it has got this far in the conversation then the dealership must really be ignorant and arrogant. Try not to let it get you wound up and certainly don't let it show to the dealership. Be professional and polite and if you don't have any joy by the end of the meeting then just contact Volvo UK and VOSA. It would probably mean you don't continue to drive around in your vehicle until VOSA have inspected it. You could obviously drive directly home and then directly to the VOSA testing station. The more mileage you put on the car since the MOT the weaker your argument becomes (to an extent).

Last edited by SonyVaio; Mar 23rd, 2012 at 10:59.
SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 10:54   #19
doc4246
2007/MY07 XC90 V8 Exec

Albeit perhaps as a last resort (as with some of the other suggestions) because it will no doubt tarnish the relationship with the delaer beyond the point of no return is:

Ask for their insurance details or if they refuse to provide these, then their lawyers as you wish to persue a claim against them for professional negligence...you could also include informing their motor traders' organisation.

As already mentioned we're talking about the braking system here and how the vehicle passed its MOT.
doc4246 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doc4246 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2012, 11:01   #20
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Ask to speak to John Cleland ( the head honcho and yes the ex-BTCC touring car driver ) he is the owner/dealer principal etc, and a fairly straight talking guy .... dont mess about or take any crap, they are in the wrong and they know it .... dont lose it, but make sure that they know you mean business.

Hope it works out ...
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TruckbusUK For This Useful Post: