Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Windscreen: Water ingress on x70/80 P3 models 2007 on

Views : 280067

Replies : 109

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2017, 22:28   #21
Simon Jones
Premier Member

Been in to Snows in Southampton today and it looks like they will be able to remove and re-bond free of charge even though it's a 10 year old car. They have a contract with a national windscreen company who will undertake the work at the main dealer. There is the risk that the screen may break in the process and they will not cover any costs incurred in that instance, so I'll contact my insurance company and find out whether they would still cover it under the windscreen policy. I can push the screen from the inside and it moves several millimetres so I would have thought it should pop out quite easily.
Simon Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 17:54   #22
Semnoz

Had my windscreen replaced today by Autoglass, via my insurance policy, due to chip/crack right in the middle of the critical zone - enough to have made it fail the forthcoming MOT.

The Autoglass engineer was really good. He hadn't much experience of V70s the same age as mine, and I didn't tell him anything about known issues with leaking. So it was interesting when he showed me the old windscreen where the sealant hadn't ever bonded to the glass along the top section. He said is was odd as it had bonded properly elsewhere and was surprised to see such poor quality on a Volvo. I didn't say any more, but it was reassuring to hear a professional give his opinion on faulty installation/manufacturing - and completely confirmed the issue that in my opinion should have led to a safety recall.

With the windscreen removed, I had a chance to look around the top of the dash. I had expected to see a gap with some kind of deep channel or cross-member full of water, and had hoped to be able to extract all the water I hear sloshing around. There was no gap at all. The edge of the black rubber top section of the dash extends all the way, and slightly beyond the top of the firewall body-panel. The dash edge actually chamfers down to a taper that fits snuggly against the inside of the windscreen. I was able to prise the dash upwards slightly, but not enough to see underneath, and certainly not enough to reach inside to extract water. So I'm not even sure the water is sitting directly below that front section of the dash.

The very edge of top dash section exposes the foam base under the black rubber coating. This felt damp, which wasn't a surprise as I know water has dripped down there. What I'm not sure about is how much water this foam panel soaks up, and if it has been slowly dripping water somewhere further inside the dash. I rather suspect it's a combination of water soaking into this foam, and also water dripping under it, and falling in to a cavity immediately below - and this is the part I couldn't look into, or access. So I can only hope this water eventually evaporates away, and I'll never have to experience this again. We might have a warm few days coming up, so I'll leave the car out in the sun with the windows down all weekend.

Also, I pointed out the paint-chip damage on the front edge of the roof panel to the screen fitter, and he again acknowledged surprisingly poor design/installation [for a Volvo]. He decided to install the new windscreen about 3 to 4mm higher than the previous one, and it certainly looks a better fit. I clearly saw the difference this made, as the top rubber seal now goes right up to the curve of the roof panel, and means the parallel 'plane' of the windscreen (if viewed from the side) is now almost level with the roof edge, which may help eliminate any future damage as stones should bounce over the edge of the roof, and not into it. So perhaps one reason some of us have had paint chip damage there was because Volvo installed some windscreens too low ?

Sorry I didn't get to take any photos. I didn't want to make the Autoglass engineer think I was suspicious of his work.

Hope this is useful/interesting to everyone

Last edited by Semnoz; Oct 12th, 2017 at 18:07.
Semnoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2017, 12:29   #23
inaminute23

Daft question. This has just happened to my s80 d5 2007. I was in wales over the weekend and was parked nose down. It hammered down Sat night, Sunday morning and when i got in car it was coming through the lights on to the the gear stick. The windscreen has a gap of about 6-8mm at the top,so if that was filled with silicone/rubber sealant woud this repair the problem?
inaminute23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2017, 13:53   #24
Pepperguegan

Hi every one,

I'm from france and i'm the owner of a 2010 V70 D5 withour sunroof. Very good car, but my windshield is leaking...

Is there someone who as tried to re-seal the windshield from the exterior with this sort of product :

https://www.uksealants.co.uk/sikafle...ant-300ml.html

Regards.
Pepperguegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 19:34   #25
Backpedal

Hello everyone,

Thought I'd tell you all about my experiences today with getting my Windscreen rebonded on a 2008 (58 plate) V70 T6.

I phoned Volvo head office a week ago to speak to them about the leaking front screen, armed with the knowledge that they *should* be fixing the faulty sealing under warranty/good will.

The person I spoke to at Volvo was very helpful and I didn't need to do any arm twisting to get them to suggest that the work should be carried out under warranty.

They got my local dealer (Bristol City Motors) to call me back and book me in.

There were two caveats. The windscreen needed to be an original with Volvo stamps on it and they made me very aware that it could crack when they remove it. I knew it was an original screen and accepted the risk.

Luckily I'd already spoke to my insurance company (Tesco) about this procedure and they were happy to replace the screen with my small windscreen excess should it break on removal.

Took the car in and by 10am they'd removed and unfortunately cracked the screen. I phoned my insurance company and they had a guy come out by 12 to fit a new one.

The screen was in by 1 and I was ready to drive home at 2 after the bonding agent had gone off.

Happy with the outcome but a few points I've learnt:

1 Check with insurance company first that they'll replace the screen if it cracks. Get it in writing.

2 If it does crack, the windscreen fitter person may not be super happy finishing a job someone else has started.

3 The rain sensor for the wipers is fragile and can break. Fortunately mine didn't. Factor this into the cost.

4 Volvo will and should do this job FOC so don't pay to have it done yourself if you have an original screen. I was getting quotes from £200 - £300 to remove, rebond and refit my screen with the risk of it cracking creating an additional cost.

Good luck!
Backpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Backpedal For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 10:31   #26
Alecm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpedal View Post

4 Volvo will and should do this job FOC so don't pay to have it done yourself if you have an original screen. I was getting quotes from £200 - £300 to remove, rebond and refit my screen with the risk of it cracking creating an additional cost.

Good luck!
Thank you for this extremely helpful posting Backpedal.
I am in exactly the same situation with my 2010 XC70. Discovered a water leak a week ago. Saw that the rain was coming down the driver's door pillar, searched V70 water leaks and found this thread. Sure enough, if i push the top of the windscreen it moves, so it is clearly not bonded there.
I phoned autoglass who quoted me £193 to refit, or £440 if the screen breaks on removal - my risk.
I phoned me local (well, nearest ... hardly local) Volvo dealer, where I get the car serviced, and after a two hour wait came back with an offering. "Pop" the car in to them so they can have a look at it and establish the cause of the leak. Ideally leave the car with them for a few days. When they know the cause of the leak they will speak with Volvo UK. How much? £66. That's for the 'investigation'. But how much for the repair? "Oh we won't know that until we have investigated the cause and spoken with Volvo." "So it will involve me bringing the car to you twice?" "Yes."

So there you are.

Tell me please: do you know the name of the person you spoke to at Volvo Cars UK? Or at least, the department? "Complaints department, Windscreen leaks subdivision" maybe?

Many thanks,
Alec
Alecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 01:30   #27
wilbydoughboy

Thank you for your email, I am very sorry to hear this.

We would suggest that the vehicle is taken to your local Volvo dealership for further investigation.

I regret that there is no recall in place regarding this, If the windscreen is however the original factory fit one we can of course review goodwill on this matter.

Kind Regards
Description: Volvo Car UK Limited
Connie
Wheeler
Customer Relations Consultant (UK & Ireland)

+ 44 (0) 1628 422522 / +353 1 4631220
custcare@volvocars.com

www.[volvocars.com]volvocars.com

Registered office Volvo Car UK Limited, Scandinavia House, Norreys Drive, Maidenhead, SL6 4FL
Registered in England & Wales No. 02281044. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority to carry out credit broking.
This communication and any attachments are intended for the sole use of the addressee. It may contain (and if labelled 'Private and Confidential' does contain) confidential information. Any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication and its attachments to persons other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Unless specifically stated, the contents of this communication do not necessarily represent the views of Volvo Car UK Limited. If you received this communication in error, please email custcare@volvocars.com and destroy this email and any attachments.
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 17:34   #28
Alecm

Well, good progress.
I phoned Volvo UK customer relations and they had no hesitation in saying that the refitting of the windscreen would be done foc at my local Volvo dealer, as long as the windscreen is leaking, and that it is a genuine Volvo screen. I booked it in at my dealership and they also said that they would undertake drying of the mats, again foc. Only downside is that they need to keep the car for a few days, and if the screen is damaged on removal the replacement is down to me.

My insurance company (NFU Mutual) also confirmed that replacement of the screen, if it is damaged when it is removed, would be covered by them, subject to an excess of £70. The excess would be £50 if an 'approved company' (i.e. Autoglass) did it. I'm happy to pay £20 extra, if necessary, to keep it all in the Volvo environment.
So I'm happy. And feeling better about Volvo.
Alec
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 22:59   #29
Backpedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecm View Post
Thank you for this extremely helpful posting Backpedal.
I am in exactly the same situation with my 2010 XC70. Discovered a water leak a week ago. Saw that the rain was coming down the driver's door pillar, searched V70 water leaks and found this thread. Sure enough, if i push the top of the windscreen it moves, so it is clearly not bonded there.
I phoned autoglass who quoted me £193 to refit, or £440 if the screen breaks on removal - my risk.
I phoned me local (well, nearest ... hardly local) Volvo dealer, where I get the car serviced, and after a two hour wait came back with an offering. "Pop" the car in to them so they can have a look at it and establish the cause of the leak. Ideally leave the car with them for a few days. When they know the cause of the leak they will speak with Volvo UK. How much? £66. That's for the 'investigation'. But how much for the repair? "Oh we won't know that until we have investigated the cause and spoken with Volvo." "So it will involve me bringing the car to you twice?" "Yes."

So there you are.

Tell me please: do you know the name of the person you spoke to at Volvo Cars UK? Or at least, the department? "Complaints department, Windscreen leaks subdivision" maybe?

Many thanks,
Alec
I spoke to:

Vijay Tanda
Volvo Cars (UK & Ireland)

+ 44 (0) 1628 422522 / +353 1 4631220
custcare@volvocars.com

Keep pushing. You shouldn't have to pay for anything to get this fixed if you have the original windscreen in the car. The investigation isn't hard – the service manager can see if the screen is moving.

I'd get on to Volvo UK head office and go from there.
Backpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 23:02   #30
Alecm

Thanks Backpedal. It was Vijay I spoke to today. Car booked in for next Friday, keeping it until Tuesday for drying out.
Thanks for posting as you did.
Alec