Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removing the front bumper cover

Views : 162166

Replies : 60

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2012, 14:22   #41
mihailkirevsky

Default Many Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcaveman View Post
I have been asked to post this, again this job was how I did it on a s60 2002.
first remove the black trim on the bumper using a wide blade screw driver or similar tool be gentle!!!!.
Undo the bolts x2 holding the bumper cover (12mm socket)
inside the wheel arches you will see a torx screw ( sorry can't remember the size) undo this untill you have just a few threads left holding it on then push the whole screw in, (this pushes the catch holding the bumper cover) which releases the rear edge.
Now look above the grill you will see 5 I think push button catches.
Push the centres with a small screw driver and remove the catches.
The Bumper cover should now be ready for removal dont forget to undo the fog light wires I think thats about it. ( always be gentle)

If you need to remove the headlight you will now need to undo the black plastic assembly which holds the bumper rear catch, (if you have got this far you will see what I mean) quite hard to explain without a picture, 2 torx (can't remember the size sorry) and 2 bolts (10mm socket).
The head lights are held in by 4 bolts (10mm) I refer to the spanner / socket required and not the bolt diam to make things easier for you.
Again next time I do a job I will photograph it to make it easier for everybody.
As I said at the start this is the way I did the job it is not set in stone but use only as a guide.
As with any job in the motor industry do not attempt if you have any doubts of your own capability.
Having said that its a doddle to do and should take no more then 10 / 15 minutes.
Hope this guide has been of use to somebody.
Wheel hub to do this weekend I will post a guide after if it will be of any use to anybody.
All the best Cpt.....
Excellent!

Thank you so much in dead!

Very Kind Regards,
MK
mihailkirevsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 10:33   #42
Aardvark S60

Thumbs up

My headlamp bulb clips have come adrift and as the local gynaecologist is busy at the mo I'll have to remove the headlamps to get access to refit them. This guide helps a lot, thanks.
Aardvark S60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2012, 22:38   #43
coughlanc

Thumbs up

Thanks for write up, changing my headlight in the morning.
coughlanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 17:13   #44
Aardvark S60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Catnach View Post
I attempted to remove the bumper cover a few weeks back when trying to change a headlamp bulb, got all the bolts, clips etc out but was ultimately thwarted in my attempts by the washer jets (post-facelift car). The covers for the jets are, naturally, wider than the holes they cover; I could see they should unclip somehow but didn't want to try and force anything in case I broke it!

Anyone know how to remove the top of the washer jet?
I removed the front bumper and headlights today to refit the headlight bulb wire clips on my face-lift S60 2005 model.

Re. the washer jet cover - Carefully lift and pull the washer cover forward, this pulls out the washer arm too. Hold the arm out with one hand and push the cover back against the spring. This allows the cover's U shaped plastic fixing bracket to be removed one side at a time from the two lugs holding it in place. Don't lose the spring!

The only other difference I noticed to captcaveman's guide for pre-facelift cars is that the top Torx screw in the wheel arch removes completely and then there is a stud fastener at the very bottom of the bumper's rear corner which needs to be prised out from underneath with a thin blunt blade/knife. Relocate by hand and then give it a gentle tap with hammer etc to drive it home when refitting bumper.

BTW - the 3 Torx screws securing the foglights to the bumper were really loose on my car, so worth checking out while the bumper's off.

I also widened the gait of the wire clips so they fitted more securely into the lugs, so less likely to come adrift again.

HTH
Aardvark S60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 19:33   #45
mikehv70

Default Facelift model V70 - front bumper

I've just had to remove the front bumper cover on my 54-reg (05 model year) facelift V70 in order to change the windscreen washer pump. It's quite a bit easier than on the pre-facelift model as the bumper inserts don't need to be removed. There's a good guide, with pictures, on the T5/D5 forum:

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/8599-front-bumper-removal/

Regards
Mike
mikehv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2013, 23:30   #46
Alpha206
S60 Reg Keeper (Retired)

That's a useful post!
One comment though - on the S60 it's a bit more fiddly as the washer jets are of a different design (and I've not worked that bit out yet!!)

MY05 S60 2.0T SE...no more
MY16 V60 T6 Polestar
MY71 H.S.121-3B-101

http://www.savethetrident.co.uk/

Campaign to save G-ARPO, the last surviving Trident 1C
Alpha206 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2013, 19:45   #47
te2800

Default bumper

good point about leaving the torx screws in the bumper to rerlease the catch .. most hhave take the screw out and pulled the bumper off and breaking the plastic!
te2800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 16:28   #48
MartF

This is very useful, does anyone know what size Torx I need to do this job? I've got the 10 and 12mm sockets but I'll need to buy the Torx.

Thanks,

Martin.
Old Jun 16th, 2014, 16:34   #49
JRL
Master Member

You can buy a set of torx bits for a reasonable price. This should give you all the sizes you need..
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2014, 18:49   #50
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

I have just been directed here by Simon Jones as I need to remove my bumper to fit some strobes behind the grill so another thank you to Cavey for the how to.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote