Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 buyers guide

Views : 1899

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2016, 21:16   #1
skiffy

Default XC90 buyers guide

Hi all, first post on here. After years of loyal Audi ownership 3rd child dictates a big car, so for now I have to hang up German car hat, the S4 is sold :-( and I'm in the market for an XC90.

Budget is around 6k, was initially hoping to get a manual but this might be too big an ask. Definitely diesel.

From what I can tell basic choices are:
pre 06 - no DPF (and risk of failure) better economy.
auto - boxes are fairly solid but I've always been wary of autos and potential bills, and more of a manual guy, but this isn't exactly a drivers car.
manual - risk of DMF failure

Is there a check list of common faults to check for?
Were there any recalls/campaigns to check for?

I've been advised to check for rear driveshaft play.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers all.
skiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 21:48   #2
binty

Smile Search buyers guide in forum search button

Hi Skiffy,
Welcome.
There are a few guides on the forum, just open the search box on the right and type in buyers guide.
Here is one thread,
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...t=buyers+guide

I have a 2006 model year D5 SE Auto and my brother has a 2010 D5 Active manual.
A major update was the 2007 model year, (square reversing lamps), but some cars have been retrofitted with these lights so best to check.

Both manual and auto are great, personally i like the auto, seems to suits the car really well.
You will not be short of power with any D5.
History is vital, and if it has been used for towing check auto transmission fluid has been changed at 70 000 miles, (Cost up to about £300)

Any car registered before 23 March 2006 will be no more than the lower tax band K £290 regardless of its emissions.
If registered on or after this date the emissions must be 225 g/km or below to get the band K, if higher they will be bands L (£490) or M (£505). Check the V5 for the date of registration and emissions for your vehicle as they do vary.

Black leather seems to wear better than cream. Tyres cost me £120 each for Michellins (18 inch wheels), cheaper are available.
A quick check is to press the READ button on the left hand stalk, it will bring up any messages even if someone has disabled a warning light. It should say 'no messages' in the instrument cluster.(I get sellers to text me a photo of this before I will even travel to look at a car)

Buy the best car you can, I walked away from 10 before finding the right one.
I expected evidence of kids, but some had been inhabited by a herd of goats
Good luck
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to binty For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 09:27   #3
skiffy

Thanks, that's really useful info. I'd also plan to scan for codes.

Is there a table of service intervals for cambelt, brake fluid, etc etc? How long to the DPFs last? is there any maintenance on them?

I'll take a look at your link.

Cheers.
skiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 19:31   #4
binty

Smile Cambelt interval etc

Hi Skiffy,
On mine cam belt is 108 000 miles or 6th service. thereafter I think it is 90 or 96 000 miles.
Brake fluid is same as any other car, 2 or 3 years generally. Coolant is long life (10 yrs).
No idea abut DPF as mine does not have one.
Happy hunting
Mercedes SLK 250d 9G auto AMG line (Black)
Previous Volvos C30 Rdesign 2.0D (black), C30 Rdesign 1.6D (black), S60 T5 (black)
binty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 21:25   #5
Acer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffy View Post
Thanks, that's really useful info. I'd also plan to scan for codes.

Is there a table of service intervals for cambelt, brake fluid, etc etc? How long to the DPFs last? is there any maintenance on them?

I'll take a look at your link.

Cheers.
Scan for codes using a proper tool if possible. Not all codes will trigger warnings. There is another method where you can check if any DTCs are set. I think it is by holding the read button and pressing the fog light button twice.
Acer is offline   Reply With Quote