Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nightmare with radio in our XC90

Views : 70076

Replies : 65

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 17th, 2013, 23:17   #51
rowleyd3

Quote:
Originally Posted by falay View Post
hello
have had three years of trouble free motoring with my XC90. Advertised it for sale as my oldest lad now driving and don't needd 7 seater. Sold it and day after buyer rings me to say radio not working. Went to his house in case he doing something wrong. He wasn't. When hit the on switch it comes on and says HIGH PERFORMANCE SOUND and then goes straight off. Have read with horror the other post re radio problems. Prior to this radio, CD player all working ?????
do I have to spend £1000 sort this for the man have just sold too - cant walk away as wouldn't be right thing to do !!!!
any advise appreciated !
Mine does this occasionally and my fix works for me as advised in other posts. Under the seat there are 3 plugs attached to the amp(?). Take the key out of the ignition, take all 3 plugs out then reseat them - try the radio again.
That works 90% of the time. If that fails, do the same but spray contact cleaner into the 3x plugs and 3xsockets and leave for 10mins to dry - that should do the trick (well it does on mine anyway - thanks to whoever told me previously !!)

The 3 plugs are the ones immediately under the seat if your stick your head in the drivers footwell -the ones on the front of the amp - as per the pic

HTH,

Darren.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo amp plugs.jpg (52.7 KB, 214 views)

Last edited by rowleyd3; Dec 17th, 2013 at 23:24.
rowleyd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rowleyd3 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 19:35   #52
niccodeamus

I have a mystery ICM problem in an 05 XC90. when first starting on a morning the system works fine except that the radio crackles on all frequencies. there is no crackle from the cd player which works fine. after about half an hour the system fails, it blinks and tries to work an few times, but over a minute or so it shuts down completely. if you turn it off and on, you get the high performance sound message followed by a blank screen. turning off the car does not "reset" the ICM. If the car is left off for a period, the system may work for a shortened period.
This car is new to me and came with the problem. It has recently had a replacement ICM, 6 months ago, presumably for this fault and was cleared as functioning normally. my guess is that it functioned for 1/2 an hour....
any ideas?
i am sort of thinking that the antenna module may be the problem due to the crackle. I believe that the actual radio receiver is in the antenna module

by the way...the above photo for the amp connectors is in fact the seat control system, i have no idea why this may affect the audio system. the amp is below, set into the floor and comes out with three bolts, easy enough with the seat right back.
niccodeamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2014, 15:20   #53
Tommi1976

Hi,

I have the same issue and very affraid about the cost of repair...

Everything was OK, and I have not noticed any issues. Just yesterday I wanted to turn the radio on, and the display remains blank. Analysing so far, the radio doesn't completely work, nor the CD (CD is inside, but it will not start to play; I cannot eject the CD anyway). But I can enter a menu to Radio or CD menu. If I turn the volume knob, it shows the "volume bar" empty (like if you set the minimum), even if turn it the way for higher volume.
I can enter a FM/AM band menu as well, but no change, no sound, nothing on display. Carphone doesn't work at all (not even a menu).
Parking sensors are not working at all, too.
:-((((((((((

Radio will turn on after a apx. 1 - 2 minutes of drive.

I found that if the knobs on ICM are lighting, the ICM has elecric power (if they don't, the fuse or ground is cut). My knobs are lighting.

I will be very thankfull for any ideas how to solve it (without buying new ICM for € 1000).

Martin

Hello

Have anyone find a solution of this kind of problem, i have just same on my xc90

Regards

Tommi
Tommi1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 02:26   #54
spokoluzik
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi1976 View Post
Hi,

I have the same issue and very affraid about the cost of repair...

Everything was OK, and I have not noticed any issues. Just yesterday I wanted to turn the radio on, and the display remains blank. Analysing so far, the radio doesn't completely work, nor the CD (CD is inside, but it will not start to play; I cannot eject the CD anyway). But I can enter a menu to Radio or CD menu. If I turn the volume knob, it shows the "volume bar" empty (like if you set the minimum), even if turn it the way for higher volume.
I can enter a FM/AM band menu as well, but no change, no sound, nothing on display. Carphone doesn't work at all (not even a menu).
Parking sensors are not working at all, too.
:-((((((((((

Radio will turn on after a apx. 1 - 2 minutes of drive.

I found that if the knobs on ICM are lighting, the ICM has elecric power (if they don't, the fuse or ground is cut). My knobs are lighting.

I will be very thankfull for any ideas how to solve it (without buying new ICM for € 1000).

Martin

Hello

Have anyone find a solution of this kind of problem, i have just same on my xc90

Regards

Tommi
Hi
I can repair your existing radio for £150 quid mate.
Just drop an email to conatct@volvodiagnostic.com
Regards
Lukas

http://volvodiagnostic.com/
spokoluzik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spokoluzik For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2014, 20:58   #55
Swhamblet50

Exclamation Bolton 58

hi can anyone help with my cd unit problem 54 plate xc90 with built in cd player ,
the radio works ok but the cd player will not play anything and sounds like it is trying to load ,display shows deck error.
Swhamblet50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 16:34   #56
Mikendoherty

Default Music system problem

Hello,
If anyone can help, I live between Wolverhampton and Cosford and am having problems with the music system on a 2008 XC90. The main dealer has offered to replace the unit but wants silly money. The CD player went first, then the display became intermitent and now the AM radio station volume is going up and down on its own. Can anyone recommend someone who can help and who is not a long way away?
Thanks,
Mike
Mikendoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2015, 17:14   #57
joemc99

I had a similar problem in the past. I have the center console out to fix a deck error on the cd changer. When I put it back in, the premium sound flash screen would show, then shutdown.....nothing. The volume control would show the empty bar, that was all.

I pulled out the console again and saw a tight curve on the optical fiber wire. This must have got tighter when the console was fixed in place, and kincked the wire.

You should try this first, just to see. Check if the console works when pulled out and wires are not compressed in.
joemc99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 22:25   #58
Steveevo71

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsaunders View Post
I have exactly the same issue. Just happened with the same á_TZ coming up on the screen. Is there any resolution that does not involve me having to dip my hand in my pocket yet again
(In the last three months, replaced disks all around (350 quid), new valve pump inside gearbox (1800 quid) and the ubiquitous rear wheel bearing (250 quid).
My 2006 xc90 exec is doing exactly the same as described did you get it fixed?
Any advice would be appreciated....
Steveevo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2015, 11:27   #59
jamesholley

Mine is starting to play up, so I may give this guy a whirl

http://volvodiagnostic.com/shop/inde...roller=product
jamesholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2015, 23:47   #60
1tinkerer

Default Another XC90 entertainment system

Well, here's one for you..
The Radio in our 2004 XC90 started to play up a while ago by displaying 'rubbish' on the screen when on a while, plus the scrren was getting incredibly hot.. If it was switched off again and allowed to rest for a while, when switched on, all was normal,
for a while until the rubbish appeared once again...

Until one day, when the radio was on, the wife noticed a smell in the car, and promptly stopped and got the kids out, when the smoke started to appear from the dash.. The smell and the smoke came from the radio..

Now, the display does not work at all now, but the radio still works (but afraid to touch any buttons as we will lose the station).. Parking sensors work too..

Is this something that can be repaired or is it too far gone??

BTW, if we did send it away for repair, can the XC90 be driven without the radio in place??

Last edited by 1tinkerer; Aug 5th, 2015 at 23:49. Reason: extra info
1tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote