Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Best way to get 3.5mm auxilliary jack input to Hu-803?

Views : 7363

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2014, 17:46   #1
vern0s

Default Best way to get 3.5mm auxilliary jack input to Hu-803?

Hi Guys,

I've seen various products and methods for connecting the industry standard (personal headphone style) 3.5mm aux jack to the HU-803 but i wondered which in your opinion was the best taking into account the quality of the sound, installation method and budget?

I'm not bothered about controlling the auxiliary device from the head-unit just merely connecting it as a music source :-)

Cheers and thanks in advance...
vern0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 19:24   #2
RobbieH
Two wheeled lycra lout

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...&highlight=MP3

54 V70 D5 SE (163, EUIII) MTE, Eibach, Powerflex, IPD arb's, TWR FMIC, Ferrita cat-back.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 22:50   #3
Smeggers

I installed one of these in place of the autochanger; took about 10 minutes to install. I have about 700 tracks on a 4Gb SD card (and free space for more) and I also have a 3.5mm jack if I want to use it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yatour-Car...item3f24ed7b6a
Smeggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 23:46   #4
chiptivo
Premier Member

As Smeggers said.

I have been using one for a couple of years now.
Great little device, and no issues.

Bargain at under £50

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=122023
chiptivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:13   #5
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Are these really just plug n play? Will it work on a fully spec'd SE Lux with Sat Nav and phone with 4 disc CD?

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:48   #6
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile MP3 player box

I would have a quick look at the rear of your HU803, if the external CD changer socket is unused, it should be a very easy plug in and go solution, i doubt the satnav uses this port, but as mine doesnt have one its just a guess..

Youll probably be less likely to need to plug anything in on a 3.5jack as all you need is a cheap SD card with music in .mp3 format or a couple of other supported formats, you can change tracks/volume etc from the sterring wheel controls or HU buttons - quality is excellent easily as good as CDs, esp if you use higher bitrate files (up to 320kb/s),

Heres a pic of the external changer socket on the HU's rear (HU850 pic but i believe the 803 is very similar) its an 8 pin DIN your looking for incase its not identical, on the HU850 the DIN to the right feeds the external amp under the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aux_CD594.JPG (164.1 KB, 125 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 18:12   #7
taz

Cool

I just pop one of those cassette's with the 3.5mm plug attached into the unit in mine & then use an extension with a 3.5mm female & male connection on this to connect to my mobile & switch source to tape on the unit & I've got myself a cheap n cheerful "Beatbox"........lolol. The bass off it is well WKD!!
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 00:16   #8
krisby
2.5T screamer

so where do you guys put the black box? attached under the dash or hide it behind the stereo and just poke a 3.5mm jack cable out to plug in your phone/mp3 player?
If playing directly from a USB stick does the stereo show the track name or just a number?
Might be interested in one of these as it seems real simple to install.
krisby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 07:23   #9
Smeggers

I just led the wire through into the glove box. There's a reasonable gap between from the centre console under the dash and the Yatour box lives in there. I don't use the 3.5 jack as this puts a straight analogue feed into the system so I wouldn't be able to skip tracks from the steering wheel (true of any 3.5 installation) and SD cards are dirt cheap so leaving it in the glove compartment makes sense. If I was planning to use the 3.5 jack, I'd probably make up an extender with a 3.5 plug for the box and route this back to a panel mounted 3.5mm jack socket, which I would fit somewhere on the centre console or inside the storage box under the arm rest.
Smeggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 10:46   #10
krisby
2.5T screamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeggers View Post
I just led the wire through into the glove box. There's a reasonable gap between from the centre console under the dash and the Yatour box lives in there. I don't use the 3.5 jack as this puts a straight analogue feed into the system so I wouldn't be able to skip tracks from the steering wheel (true of any 3.5 installation) and SD cards are dirt cheap so leaving it in the glove compartment makes sense. If I was planning to use the 3.5 jack, I'd probably make up an extender with a 3.5 plug for the box and route this back to a panel mounted 3.5mm jack socket, which I would fit somewhere on the centre console or inside the storage box under the arm rest.
#
Brilliant, sounds great, I think SD or USB stick is the way to go then. Hadn't occurred to me that I would lose the steering wheel functionality.
krisby is offline   Reply With Quote