Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Heavy Steering

Views : 1410

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 13th, 2018, 17:52   #11
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierremcalpine View Post
Hmmm, good question. Is the tube itself part of the reservoir assembly? If so I’m thinking the tube is in place as I just replaced the reservoir with a genuine Volvo one last month. Would that make sense?
If it's a genuine OEM then it should have the restrictor already fitted in the inlet tube - you can't miss it - it is bright and shiny it isn't actually brass but a plated steel look alike and looks like a brass ring or washer within the plastic inlet - if memory serves it's about 1.5inches long i.e around 3 to 4cm in length - it literally narrows the inlet to approx 10 % of the orifice diameter and should be visible in the plastic inlet tube of the reservoir if you take off the upper rubber tube inlet, ie the high pressure return from the steering rack - it maintains the fluid pressure throughout the system prior to the low pressure return/dump to the reservoir for re-circulation via the pump to be re-pressurised to drive the powered rack.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; May 13th, 2018 at 18:37.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2018, 18:54   #12
oragex
Premier Member

There's two types of reservoirs. The newer model (without the brass fitting) has the two hoses connecting at the bottom of the reservoir.
Old May 17th, 2018, 20:12   #13
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Well fellas, curiosity got the best of me so I visited my local wreckyard last night and installed a replacement p/s pump. Holy crap, $50CAD later, what a difference! I have gone from having to use 3/4 of my arm strength to turn at low speeds to being able to turn with one finger. Aside from fixing the fluctuating idle issue a few months back this may very well be the most rewarding car job I have ever done. Feels like I'm driving and brand new car!

So here is what I think happened: the previous owner knowingly kept driving the car even though the reservoir was leaking to the point where not much fluid was left to lubricate the pump. Then, I'm pretty sure he just kept driving...many miles. Eventually lack of lubrication just did it in. When I bought the vehicle, the rack as rattling and moaning like it too was done in. With new fluid in, it came right back to life. Go figure.

Side note, 2004 and below use a power steering pump with a threaded high pressure hose fitting...be cautious when putting it back together as it's pretty soft metal easy to put on crooked.

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2018, 23:38   #14
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

In the end the heavy steering returned and I was stuck replacing the rack. Here’s a guide for anyone contemplating doing same.

https://youtu.be/NgVRA-DM6fY

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pierremcalpine For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 12:07   #15
MarvinMitt

Great video, thanks!
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 12:36   #16
sreviz
Master Member

Thanks for the video.
Engine D4204T8.
sreviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 19:07   #17
oragex
Premier Member

How would you describe the feeling now? I once got mine to work like new and the feeling was a shock to me: I would describe it as a "Bentley" steering: butter smooth and easy with a stuning heavy yet light weight to it. Still think the main issue with the steering on these cars is the spool valve inside the steering rack gets clogged with debris.
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 21:47   #18
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
How would you describe the feeling now? I once got mine to work like new and the feeling was a shock to me: I would describe it as a "Bentley" steering: butter smooth and easy with a stuning heavy yet light weight to it. Still think the main issue with the steering on these cars is the spool valve inside the steering rack gets clogged with debris.
Well, it definitely felt great especially given the number of hours I put into the project. At low speeds it performs wonderfully and almost makes up for the terrible turning radius that the S60 has with the 17" wheels on it!

My only disappointment has to do with the minor (yet annoying) glitch relating to a scenario of 1) high speed driving, 2) slowing down and then 3) immediately needing to turning. In such cases the stiff steering is slow to switch to "assisted" mode for whatever reason. If you pause for a few seconds (not something you can always do!) the smooth steering returns and all is good. If you are driving through residential streets you don't notice it. It's really only in cases where you are getting off the highway or a higher speed regional road and then you need to slow down fast and then turn. I'm wondering if it might be the solenoid that is sticking a bit but honestly I can't be bothered to look into it further right now. I'm done for the fall!

Thoughts? Is the spool valve the same valve that activates the "power assist" mode? If so, I'm thinking you are right. My old rack didn't leak. It's possible I could have replaced the solenoid only but honestly the two bolts on the solenoid were so rusted out that even with the rack out of the car, I managed to strip one of the two retaining screws when I took it off just out of curiosity to inspect it.

Old Oct 24th, 2018, 22:01   #19
oragex
Premier Member

I'm not sure how the speed sensitive assist does affect the spool valve. Only thing I can say is that on mine which has only the mechanical rack and the steering feels perfectly numb and on the heavy side. And then one day all of a sudden the steering got like what I describe here above to be a 'Bentley' feeling. No idea what happened, but it lasted for 2 days then all of a sudden the steering become numb and heavier again. This makes me think it cannot be the pump or other steering/suspension components (also the coupler works fine), so the only other item is the spool valve inside the rack - or the speed sensitive sensor on cars equipped with.

By the way, I watched a bit your video, I get what you meant by 'done for the fall', doing a rack on this weather brings me memories of a similar job & conditions on a Honda years ago.
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 22:17   #20
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
I'm not sure how the speed sensitive assist does affect the spool valve. Only thing I can say is that on mine which has only the mechanical rack and the steering feels perfectly numb and on the heavy side. And then one day all of a sudden the steering got like what I describe here above to be a 'Bentley' feeling. No idea what happened, but it lasted for 2 days then all of a sudden the steering become numb and heavier again. This makes me think it cannot be the pump or other steering/suspension components (also the coupler works fine), so the only other item is the spool valve inside the rack - or the speed sensitive sensor on cars equipped with.

By the way, I watched a bit your video, I get what you meant by 'done for the fall', doing a rack on this weather brings me memories of a similar job & conditions on a Honda years ago.
Strange: what you describe was EXACTLY what happened to mine (the old one) after I replaced the pump only and did a fluid refresh. It was crazy smooth for two days and then the stiffness was back. I think you are on to something. I wonder if changing the fluid temporarily cleaned out some of the debris you refer to...