Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RTI DVD Update process.

Views : 1054

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 13:54   #1
Oil Burner

Default RTI DVD Update process.

Hi all,

Just a quick question.

My RTI MMM system is still running the 2005 version of the DVD.

I have just aquired a 'Genuine' 2015 (and I believe the last update for the MMM) DVD Disc.

Is is just a case of turning the ignition on, waiting for the RTI to boot, then ejecting the old DVD, and putting the new in?

Or do I unlock the car, Eject the DVD from the drive in the Boot, ignition on until it says 'Insert DVD' and them put it in?

Any preference or 'wrong way' to do it?

Thanks.
Oil Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 14:01   #2
reggit
Premier Member

I ‘updated’ mine, the car came with a 2008 map disc in. I got a genuine 2015 as well. Couldn’t get the firmware to update, but works with the 2015 maps. I’ll be interested in what yours does. Allegedly to should have postcode input, but mine doesn’t (unless the xc90 is different as that’s the section where I’ve got most of my info from)
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 14:16   #3
Oil Burner

Will find out tonight when I get home from work and have a play I guess.

As for the 'firmware' I would hope that I already have the latest as when I have the car serviced at Volvo its their on the invoice as firmware updates.

And they did give me some time ago a printout of all the firmware versions for all the 'modules' or whatever they call them on the car.

So I 'should' have all the latest patches.

Does the disc just contain map files or do they hold a 'firmware' update themselves I wonder.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 18:13   #4
Theeggman

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
I ‘updated’ mine, the car came with a 2008 map disc in. I got a genuine 2015 as well. Couldn’t get the firmware to update, but works with the 2015 maps. I’ll be interested in what yours does. Allegedly to should have postcode input, but mine doesn’t (unless the xc90 is different as that’s the section where I’ve got most of my info from)
From reading old threads on here a fair while ago I "think" you just need to move to the right (or left) in the destination field to get post code input. With luck someone on here will confirm or tell me I'm talking cow manure.

2005 XC70 Auto. Now Sold.
Theeggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 18:49   #5
Oil Burner

Well just went out to the car and tried the new disc.

I gave it a clean first as it had some slight marks on it.

Unlocked the car, opened the boot and ejected the old disc.

Then turned the ignition to position 1.

Let the screen come up and say no disc present insert dvd ( or whatever ).

Popped the DVD in to the drive.

It said loading.... followed by a long pause ( Arghh!!! )

Then it said something like Updating or Uploading software and a progress bar appeared.

This crept slowly across the ten squares/divisions with me sweating it out as I know how bad home computer updates can sometimes go.

Then it lit up with the Volvo RTI boot screen.

Followed by the 'new to me' safety message and press enter to continue.

Now I really worried as the map showed somewhere in London !!

After a few seconds the map changed to my location here on the south coast.

I had to reset the preference settings like Male/Female Voice, Route options etc.

It has also cleared out my last destinations used list so will have to put them in again when I use them.

I noticed it does show our new relief road now that was built for the 2012 olympics so I won't be driving through a field on the way to work now and actually following a road line on the satnav for a change.

We shall see how it copes with my commute tomorrow and if the guidance is any better.

So at this time I can say the update was a success, and hopefully give me a better experience.

Just for the record I have updated the MMM system from 2005 DVD to 2015 DVD.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 18:57   #6
Theeggman

[QUOTE=Oil Burner;2460342]Well just went out to the car and tried the new disc.
/QUOTE]

Please keep the forum updated on how it goes. Do you have 'post code' input?

Last edited by Theeggman; Oct 23rd, 2018 at 19:00. Reason: Added a bit.
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 19:08   #7
Oil Burner

Hi Theeggman,

Yes I will update the thread if I find anything interesting or quirks in the system.

Not found the postcode function yet, but I was just getting it updated in the half light of the evening here before it got too dark.

Will have a better fiddle with it tomorrow and see the differences.

Initial observation is that the user interface is the same and the map graphics are as well. At least what I have seen of them so far.
The only change so far was the safety message on startup.

If anyone knows the keystrokes to get to the Postcode feature ( if available ) on this 2015 DVD for the MMM system please let me know and I will try it out.
I never had it on the original 2005 DVD
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 19:44   #8
Theeggman

Come on folks on here.

There MUST be some of you who have had this issue before. (There are threads on here regarding the problem).
I chose not to update my DVD as I have a map which is a lot more reliable but there are drivers out there who need to be told where to go!

Sorry folks but I'm 68 yr's old and the current world makes me wonder where the world is going!

The Following User Says Thank You to Theeggman For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 20:54   #9
reggit
Premier Member

Out of interest, what firmware version is your satnav showing? Want to compare it to mine as I’ve never managed to get postcode input.

Mine is 1405 https://flic.kr/p/245bf37

Last edited by reggit; Oct 23rd, 2018 at 23:25.
reggit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 06:04   #10
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Burner View Post

If anyone knows the keystrokes to get to the Postcode feature ( if available ) on this 2015 DVD for the MMM system please let me know and I will try it out.
I never had it on the original 2005 DVD
Was told to press the ‘right’ button when on the enter city field and it switches to postcode. Mine doesn’t. That was on the xc90 section. Got me wondering if they have a slightly posher version, hence my request for firmware version above.