Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Part number - can someone look up a replacement number?

Views : 1222

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 4th, 2019, 21:38   #11
Piers1956

I'll let you know how I get on. I have found a unit at £65 which could be good or bad, who knows. I was working on the logic that it's unlikely to have exactly the same fault as my unit, if you follow my drift. So mine goes stupid on full left lock. after the swap I could have:-

1. Still goes stupid on full left lock only. Perhaps not the clock spring?
2. Goes stupid but under different circumstances. Likely to be a second bad unit?
3. Everything in the garden is rosy..Yes you can get a clock spring for £65 and know that your unit is faulty.

Whatever the outcome it gives me a spare to dig into and see if anything is serviceable/repairable/checkable etc.

Amazing to look at the prices of other manufacturers units. I see it's "Made in Japan" By whom I wander?

Catch you soon.
Piers1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 16:34   #12
Piers1956

Default Replacement Number.

Well a day of good fortune, I have tracked down and captured 1 off 30669744 so they do exist. Cost £60:00. The man who supplied it said, and I quote, "Not sure if I've got a 744 but i'll probably have an 083 which supersedes it" This must refer to the cross reference to 31313083.

As it happened it was the other way round but he will call if either which one becomes available in the next couple of days. Tomorrow will be the moment of truth. I'll keep all posted.

Regards.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 21:33   #13
yoda960
Volvo 960

Good luck, look forward to your findings. Would be great if these are a simple enough repair or a clean
yoda960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 21:21   #14
Piers1956

Default Replacement part.

Well, I fitted the new second hand clock spring and everything looked rosy.

Old unit would fail on tight left hand lock even if vehicle was stationary. For every other maneuver it behaved itself.

Replacement fitted calibrated to the best of my ability and full lock to full lock a dozen times or more and no lights on. Out onto the road and within 200 yards it failed in a straight line.

Completely different scenario and different fail code. So more homework and another crack tomorrow.

I am convinced that the 1st unit has a break in the ribbon cable. It meters fine from 496 degrees right lock to 380 degrees left lock and then dies.

Interestingly old unit is 5.5 turns lock to lock and the new one is very close to 6.

The new one is biased to the right so tomorrow I'm going to ignore the "2.5 turn and put the yellow crest in the window" and set it up to show as close as I can zero degrees when dead ahead.

It is a mile out as supplied, with an imbalance at 180 degrees. In real terms, to make the car think it's straight the steering wheel has to be held upside down (exactly) and the car is aiming itself at 2 O'Clock.

Guess that's how they come for £60.

If there is anything positive to report I'll post it.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 00:08   #15
Piers1956

Hi Yoda.

Well being honest, which is rare for me, I am kinda stuck at the minute. My man is sorting me another FOC unit to play with on Monday.

Initial unit is almost there but in the last inch of turn (Left) it drops out.

Second unit. I now have in the right orientation so 0 degrees is straight ahead. This unit drops out at all points of the compass.

I don't want to build 2 into 1 as if I screw up I haven't got a unit to drive the car on. So Monday I'll try and splice 2 and 3 together.

If anyone picks up on this I am now doubtful that the ribbon cable has anything to do with the steering angle other than to rotate a disc in the base of the unit. Electrically it only appears to take feed from Steering wheel radio controls, cruise control and horn.

Pure guesswork, is it a bad sector/magnet or the like on the bottom end.

Perhaps the wise will inform me.

I have several prices from the Yard Kings all of which are obscene. £161:00 was the last one. There is no justification for a component that new is now Circa £280 and they want £161 for a 13 year old unit!

Robbin' ****ard*
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 09:59   #16
Piers1956

Yoda,

Just to let you know I finaly sorted the problem at a cost of £50 and far too many man hours.

In real terms I guess they ain't worth repairing unless it's something like no horn or radio/cruise function. To split and swap parts is straightforward and quick.

Point is, I now have two units spare, both the original 30669744 part.

The one still fails on full left lock and the other is ok lock to lock but doesn't like straight ahead?

Your welcome to try them plug and play if you so wish. If nothing else it confirms that your fault is in the unit.

The 3rd unit was given to me as "Totaly Scrap" Marked with a red x in paint and only being kept for parts. I plugged it in, it worked perfectly and now on day 3 it is still 100% OK.

Who knows?
Old May 1st, 2023, 23:17   #17
ianski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers1956 View Post
Yoda,

Just to let you know I finaly sorted the problem at a cost of £50 and far too many man hours.
How did you manage to fix it , I have the same problem on a XC90 , I tried a used one and have exactly the same fault . anti skid error on hard left turns.
ianski is offline   Reply With Quote