Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Speed limiter

Views : 8747

Replies : 237

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2019, 15:45   #21
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
Out of interest, what did it feel like and did you decelerate quite quickly after you had got there? I've gone 120mph as a passenger in an E class Merc and it was as easy as you like but it may feel differently as the driver.
Feeling is....

Imagine doing plain, simple, 60mph.. But on a road that's only 2 inch wider than your car.

That's the feeling.

To be frank, I didn't decelerate all that rapidly. I kept that for some 10 miles, then dropped down to area of 100mph which was a lot easier to manage and kept it for two or three hours.

In the end I didn't save any time doing that, as I needed a longer break after, compared to usual one.

Add extra fuel burned at that speed and the only question that remains is

"Why would I want to do that again?"

90 mph in Poland- yes. For one thing, speed limit is 87mph, for another road (at least A2 and "that other one" motorways) are better than in Germany. Smooth cruising at that speed. But that's still well below 120.

Last edited by ThomasG; Mar 5th, 2019 at 15:49.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 16:03   #22
Whippy
Premier Member

I've done the old unrestricted autobahn bit, both in a car and on a bike, what I noticed that there were so many cars pulling out in front of you I was constantly on the brakes, secondly, the level of concentration required at speeds of 140mph are staggering, I lasted ten minutes before dropping back to a comparatively staid 100. It's exhausting.
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Whippy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 16:05   #23
Spike56
Master Member

Diesel and petrol cars will disappear or be legislated off the road. Electric cars will be a stopgap for a while, until the real cost of producing all that electric emerges. And don't start on the whole charging point topic! Hydrogen cars and autonomous driving will be the next big step.

Don't know if I or the planet will ever see it though!
Spike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 16:27   #24
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike56 View Post
Diesel and petrol cars will disappear or be legislated off the road. Electric cars will be a stopgap for a while, until the real cost of producing all that electric emerges. And don't start on the whole charging point topic! Hydrogen cars and autonomous driving will be the next big step.

Don't know if I or the planet will ever see it though!
Em..

You sure it for this thread?

Not for the other one?
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=292433
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 16:39   #25
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I could see myself doing 80-85 if legal but no more. Even then I'm not sure I would go over 80mph. As has been mentioned it sounds tiring and a little stressful. Fine if the motorway is empty, hello M6 in The Lake District, but for the rest of the country, not really viable without hovering over the brake constantly.
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 17:50   #26
derek vivian

Default speed limiter

I have always had a speed limiter since learning to drive 51 years ago! It is in two parts namely my brain and my speedometer!
derek vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to derek vivian For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 18:48   #27
Spike56
Master Member

Absolutely! Once autonomous cars do arrive, you will no longer be able to go faster than the vehicle will allow!

Given that global positioning satellites track sat navs every move, know what the speed limits are, it isn't a large stretch of the imagination to see the Sat nav linked to throttle control surely.

If the limit was set to the true limits, it would allow flexibility through the gears, but only that far and no more. The logic of this would presumably be that since everyone is going at the same speed, you should have the same time to stop or avoid any trouble.

Break out the classic car/bike. Have you seen irobot?
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 08:56   #28
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

So they're going to limit your manhood to 112mph oh dear, what next? they'll be wanting to fit some sort of recording device into your vehicle to see how many hours you've been driving, at what speed and when you had a break (of sufficient length. Hell's teeth!! they're turning you all into truck drivers

But seriously, picking up on a couple of Thomas' comments,
The hard limit, the best limited truck I drove was back before they were a legal requirement and Merc trucks had a system that was set for 60mph (the legal limit for a truck) but which had a sort of 'kickdown' facility that meant if you needed extra speed to pass someone doing 59 you could stamp on the pedal and it would override the limiter, only for as long as you kept your foot hard on the floor so no good for high speed cruising but enough to get you past quickly. (Conversly the worst was also a Merc with a different system that if you hit 55mph would kill the throttle until it had dropped to 50mph, a total nightmare when trying to join into motorway traffic at 60mph.)
Driving at higher speeds, I've done it a few times in a car (family medical emergency) and yes it does require extra concentration and feel like the road has got narrower. The speed limit for trucks on single carriageway roads was increased a few years back so all the roads I was used to doing 40 on became 50mph, that extra 10mph took a lot of getting used to at the start but now it seems to have become my natural rhythm.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 13:40   #29
Spike56
Master Member

The bigger question is 'why?'.

America has a much lower speed limit on the highways (generally-there are exceptions) and yet they still have huge traffic problems, huge crashes and huge road rage issues.

Slower. Faster. There are just too many cars and not enough road space. There may be a cull.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 15:48   #30
Whippy
Premier Member

If you don't agree with Volvo, it appears that your just out of luck.

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/22326/man...in-three-years
Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote