Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Text message replies

Views : 2000

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 17th, 2019, 01:41   #1
Ropey

Default Text message replies

I have a MY19 XC60 inscription with CarPlay and use an iPhone 7 Plus on the Vodafone network in Ireland....

I rarely plug in for CarPlay... I guess theres no option to enable CarPlay without USB plugin??

As text messages come in whilst driving and without CarPlay, sensus will alert me and read them out... very nice but won’t let me reply?

Not sure if it’s a car, iPhone, Vodafone, location or possibly settings issue that stopping me reply to text messages via the voice command interface whilst driving.

Interested to hear if anyone else has this issue...

Ta
Ropey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 02:01   #2
Ringthane
VOC Member

This is standard behaviour.

The iPhone over Bluetooth won’t allow you to respond, and from what I can gather, it is a phone issue, in collaboration with Sensus, as my iPhone 7 would allow me to reply in my 2010 XC60.

You have full control however, when connected to CarPlay.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 02:37   #3
encroute

I think this is an Apple issue.
Android (and possibly older BT phones) will allow a reply.
The keyboard is greyed out when moving however.
encroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 09:22   #4
mr rusty

My Samsung S7 certainly replies speech to text just fine.
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 13:00   #5
Kenp8257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
This is standard behaviour.

The iPhone over Bluetooth won’t allow you to respond, and from what I can gather, it is a phone issue, in collaboration with Sensus, as my iPhone 7 would allow me to reply in my 2010 XC60.

You have full control however, when connected to CarPlay.
Very surprised to hear that as my Note 9 (like other Android users above) works perfectly with speech text reply.

I wonder if its an Apple thing, as in Apple forcing owners to buy Apple Play?? I'm sure Apple get a kick back from every Apple Play purchased.

Ken (MY17, S90 D4 R-Design)
Kenp8257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17th, 2019, 18:28   #6
Ringthane
VOC Member

I don’t think it’s that so much as Apple trying to be safe while driving.

They implemented the Do Not Disturb feature a while back, to mitigate calls and texts in the car. I have it disabled while driving, because I thought that it might be preventing me from sending texts over Bluetooth. Unfortunately not.
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 12:21   #7
CoopsSA
Volvo Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr rusty View Post
My Samsung S7 certainly replies speech to text just fine.
My Sony does. The reply is sent from the car (and received) but in the phone it does state "Not sent. Tap to try again".
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 19:04   #8
Torshen

I have an iPhone and have always been unable to reply in the past but in the last few weeks I’ve noticed the feature now works. Has anyone else had the same? I can’t say if it’s the car or iOS because I’ve updated both operating systems in the last 4-6 weeks or so, so might be either.

What was annoying was the first time I had the option and selected “answer” in the car menu it popped up a screen asking me to agree to the T&Cs, which is fine, but then after agreeing it just went back to the normal screen, like it had forgotten I had a message to reply to. And then the next time I was in the car it did the same thing so I wondered if agreeing to the T&Cs wasn’t remembered by the car. So today when I had an incoming text I clicked agree as previously, and like before it forgot about answering so then when I got home I left the engine running and sent myself a text. Sure enough this time it did it properly and I didn’t have to agree to the terms first, tested it dictating an answer and it worked. Hoping that next time I start the car it will have remembered the agreement to the T&Cs now. Bit of a bug on Volvo’s side that.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 20:03   #9
GTA SOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torshen View Post
I have an iPhone and have always been unable to reply in the past but in the last few weeks I’ve noticed the feature now works. Has anyone else had the same? I can’t say if it’s the car or iOS because I’ve updated both operating systems in the last 4-6 weeks or so, so might be either.

What was annoying was the first time I had the option and selected “answer” in the car menu it popped up a screen asking me to agree to the T&Cs, which is fine, but then after agreeing it just went back to the normal screen, like it had forgotten I had a message to reply to. And then the next time I was in the car it did the same thing so I wondered if agreeing to the T&Cs wasn’t remembered by the car. So today when I had an incoming text I clicked agree as previously, and like before it forgot about answering so then when I got home I left the engine running and sent myself a text. Sure enough this time it did it properly and I didn’t have to agree to the terms first, tested it dictating an answer and it worked. Hoping that next time I start the car it will have remembered the agreement to the T&Cs now. Bit of a bug on Volvo’s side that.
Had the same issue. Once you’ve accepted the T&Cs you need to save your settings profile within Sensus - you need to do this before you switch the car off (assuming you have your profile set up NOT to save changes on an ad hoc basis). Then the next time you receive a text, even after restarting the car, you will be able to reply.
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 20:21   #10
Torshen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA SOL View Post
Had the same issue. Once you’ve accepted the T&Cs you need to save your settings profile within Sensus - you need to do this before you switch the car off (assuming you have your profile set up NOT to save changes on an ad hoc basis). Then the next time you receive a text, even after restarting the car, you will be able to reply.
Great tip, thank you for that. Would have had me stumped for ages if you hadn’t said, really appreciate it.
XC90 D5 Momentum (MY18), Osmium Grey, 22" wheels, Blond nappa, Winter + HUD, Xenium, Illumination, Family, Seat Pack, 12.3" display, 230v 3-pin, Heated rear seats, Tinted, CarPlay, Side running boards, Thinkware F770 F+R
Torshen is offline   Reply With Quote