Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying 2nd hand Selekt: MOT question

Views : 1199

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 13:17   #1
MuscleFlex

Default Buying 2nd hand Selekt: MOT question

Hi all,
Was hoping you guys can help me please?
I placed a 5,000 deposit on a 2016 (65 plate) XC60 D5 from Marshalls Volvo yesterday (Sunday) and I'm supposed to be picking it up this Friday and paying the rest of the amount.

I would like to ask you guys if the car will come with a fresh 12 months MOT?

When I asked the salesperson, he told me it had an MOT in January so next one is January 2020.. that leaves me with around 9 months left.
Is this correct? I would have thought I'd get a fresh 12 months MOT?
MuscleFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 13:58   #2
Peter86
Pete

Usually it's done if under 6 months left as a general rule of thumb. I got my V70 from Arnold Clark and it had 7 months left so said I wanted it doing along with a service otherwise I wasn't taking the car, anyway they did it. You don't want to buy a car and be paying out in the first year do you.
Does the Volvo selekt cover everything for 12 months? If they say it does, if anything fails on the next MOT then they should pay out for the repairs, that would be a win win for you then. Ask them if that would be the case.

My wife has a Honda Civic and the dealer said get the MOT done before the 12 months warranty runs out as they would fix it for free, it passed anyway without any faults 12 months later.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter86 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 14:01   #3
Ian21401
Premier Member

IMO it’s all part of the sale negotiation. You will want as much as you can persuade the seller to include and seller will want to give away as little as possible. I think that a 12 month Selekt warranty at no cost to you is much more important, and insist on seeing the service schedule since it was new. When daughter bought her 2010 XC70 we were offered the 12 month warranty, thank goodness, as there were quite a few warranty issues in the first year of ownership but the dealer dealt with everything without any problems. It took a while to wheedle the service schedule details out of them but the service manager eventually provided us with a print out of all the work done since new. We also took out a “Service Plan”. We had to be careful there as the plan was set up as if the car was new. We realised that due to the mileage the cam belt etc. change was due but the service plan did not recognise this, so we had to have that done as a “one off” outwith the service plan.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 14:07   #4
Friendly

I think that you will get MOT protection anyway for an MOT int the first year.

I did with mine which I bought in November 17. MOT passed in August 18, but I did have a document that showed what is included in the MOT protection and it seemed to cover most expensive things.
Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 19:11   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Nope, from experiance.
The car came with a new 12 month MOT, however it was at an inconvenient time of year for me so had a second MOT 6 months after buying it at my local dealer not the supplying one. Of course things not on the original MOT were found, like worn rear trailing arm bushes. OK do them under the select warranty. Sorry, wear and tear not covered, on a 36k mile car, £350 that cost me as to maintain the warranty that would not cover the work volvo had to do it I was told.

I learned my lesson and baught the bush changing tool for £160. They will never change another pair of trailing arm bushes for me.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 19:45   #6
The Thong
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Nope, from experiance.
The car came with a new 12 month MOT, however it was at an inconvenient time of year for me so had a second MOT 6 months after buying it at my local dealer not the supplying one. Of course things not on the original MOT were found, like worn rear trailing arm bushes. OK do them under the select warranty. Sorry, wear and tear not covered, on a 36k mile car, £350 that cost me as to maintain the warranty that would not cover the work volvo had to do it I was told.

I learned my lesson and baught the bush changing tool for £160. They will never change another pair of trailing arm bushes for me.

Paul.
I’ve got the MOT insurance and that’s pretty much the same, sounds great in paper but somethings are not covered like natural wear and tear so unless is an oil leak or a failure that’s not wear and tear then it’s a waste

TT
The Following User Says Thank You to The Thong For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 23:04   #7
MuscleFlex

Thanks all,
Unfortunately I'm no good at negotiating and I didn't get anything with the car! There's a 2cm tear on the leather seat mid console on the back seat and I didn't even try and get that repaired. I asked if they would offer me a free tank of gas like the other branch did to me..and they said no they couldn't do it.

Not even picking me up from the train station when I pick up the car. Crap!

The more I think about it, the more I want to cancel and get my 5000 deposit.. but I have not seen any nice D5 SE Lux through Volvo main dealer so I can't really gamble and say no I won't take it unless they offer me something as I do like the car.
MuscleFlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 07:27   #8
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscleFlex View Post
Thanks all,
Unfortunately I'm no good at negotiating and I didn't get anything with the car! There's a 2cm tear on the leather seat mid console on the back seat and I didn't even try and get that repaired. I asked if they would offer me a free tank of gas like the other branch did to me..and they said no they couldn't do it.

Not even picking me up from the train station when I pick up the car. Crap!

The more I think about it, the more I want to cancel and get my 5000 deposit.. but I have not seen any nice D5 SE Lux through Volvo main dealer so I can't really gamble and say no I won't take it unless they offer me something as I do like the car.
Bloody hell, it's got a 2 inch tear in the seat and you put a 5k deposit on it. In my book unless it was a 1 grand banger that tear alone would have me walking away. Even a good repair would see me negotiating a discount because it's NOT A 1.

I had the temp spare and a genuine volvo detachable tow bar plus a grand off the initial asking price. I tried for polestar upgrade as well but dealer wasn't wearing that.

You tell them what it will take for you to buy the car and if they do not make substantial moves towards your requirement walk away. There are plenty out there, just be prepared to travel.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 08:45   #9
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

I agree Paul.

To me , the dealer has well and truly sussed that he does not need to do anything with the OP to secure a sale so why should he.

OP. get your deposit back and find another car at a better dealership AND get someone to negotiate for you if you can't do it.

You are being shafted . Why not try your username when dealing with the next garage:

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic

Last edited by S60D5-185; Mar 19th, 2019 at 08:50.
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 09:19   #10
Ian21401
Premier Member

I agree with both the above. I’m no good at negotiating either but I would be asking for return of deposit and walking. If the person you are dealing with declines to return your money take it further. I presume he’s on commission for successful sales. This dealership doesn’t sound very customer friendly to me, they should be desperate for your custom and jump through hoops to seal a deal. If this is their attitude before you have actually bought the car I wouldn’t expect them to be accommodating at all to any warranty issues after you have bought it. Dig your toes in, get your hard earned money back and walk. With an attitude like that they don’t deserve your custom, or anyone else’s for that matter.

Last edited by Ian21401; Mar 19th, 2019 at 09:22. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post: