Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help the problem is choice!

Views : 2643

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 22:53   #1
ChrisV50

Default Help the problem is choice!

Hey guys n gals My first post .... bear with me....

In advance yes I have been reading posts before registering n thought I would see what your opinions are on my query...

First car was a Volvo 360 2.0 litre - with bouncy leaf spring And since then I have lubbed the volvo

Although I was not a major fan of the 440 but it served me so well - at age i think 13! or 14! - it failed its MOT by 2 and half pages!!!! Now that is a soldier! It was fine!

But why I am here - I want some owner opinions ............

I want ......... the V50 as I just like it - I do not care about ifs, buts, and yes I have seen posts of faults etc, I like it!! I want it!

Budget

about 8500 - I want no less than 4 yr old

SE spec petrol is coming in about 35 to 40k miles in budget

2.0 diesel SE is pushing 10k! (07 plate diesels mmm 8800 8900 ish)

1.6 S petrol is as low on 08 plates with as low as 25 28k miles at 7600 7500

S40 is about 1k lower than the V50 all round in price - R design options etc a bit more more SE spec options with the S40

the V50 is rare below 10k in price

SO my questions

or what I would like to see as volvo owners ........ ideally V50 and s40 owners..............

Diesel v petrol ?

Should I go for a nice buy petrol R design oooo looks good 08 09 plate?

Or wait n wait for a great 40k miles diesel option?

Planned usage is ferrying myself n chums into the scottish wilds every weekend - being central - a run to the cairngorms - or glencoe - is like easy 250 miles round trip .... - so ill be a 12 to 15k mileage a year guy

Diesel or Petrol? S Spec or SE Spec? or R Design - if you were about to buy a used 4 yr old minimum V50 or S40 - what you want what you recommend ?

Thanks in advance to you owners for advice

Bearing in mind my sense options at around 8500k for a 4 yr old car, see what I can get ford focus diesel wise, SAAB wise, and so on ......

Yes there is great buy n options the Ford Focus is superb!

but feck ford! I am a volvo fan so i will suffer more running costs, insurance, tax and so on - just cos i like it!!!! if car buying was about sense we would all be driving 800cc eco mobiles

And yes the V50 is a ford in disguise - but looks sooooo much better the V50 dont it

Did you go for the 40 over the 50 or vice versa?

Are you happy? Do you think the petrols are worthy? Is the SE spec worth it? Is the R design worth it?

If today you had 8500 for a volvo 50 or 40 what would you want? SE? S? SE Lux? 1.6 1.8 2.0 - diesel.petrol - would you accept below 40k miles or 60k for diesels - what would you look for

I am posting this for a first time heads up from owners if they could be buying now again what would they want ...

and again cheers in advance
ChrisV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 00:02   #2
Bendolfc
Premier Member

At around 15K I'd probably go Diesel to be honest. A 1.6 Petrol I'd imagine would be really underpowered and not at all nice to drive.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 08:09   #3
Lee '71

With your estimated mileage I'd go diesel definitely.

I bought my 2007 model V50 2.0D Sport on a bit of a whim and I just love it, it's the best car I've ever owned and, while it may be a pre-facelift model, I still love it's looks.
Lee '71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 10:22   #4
Daim
Brit in Germany

I'd head towards a petrol (non less or more than a 2.0l!). Reliablity is something I don't want to miss today. The 2.0l was introduced 2007. Best fuel consumption you can get out of all petrols (with a steady foot you can even get more MPG out of a 2.0l than of the 1.6l!).

2010 V70 (Type 135) D5 (D5244T10) Automatic (TF-80SC)
Daim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daim For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 10:37   #5
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

I went from a V40 (predessor to the V50) to a 2005 S40 and I've not regretted it, I had a shot in a V50 1.6D as a hire car for a day, was basic spec with Blis & stop start added, and I have to say I missed the leather seats, the premium sound system and the torque of my T5, but it was nice enough, wasn't as fast as other diesels I'd been in but was ok. I prefer the S40 over the V50 as I think the S40 looks nicer, and there's not as much extra room as you think in the V50. My girlfriend has a C30 1.6 petrol R Design and I have to say that feels a little under powered so I presume the 1.6 in the S40/V50 must be very under powered. If it was me I'd go for SE or SE Sport trim over r design as the two tone interior in the C30 is a nightmare to keep /look clean, The c30 interior in my girlfriends C30 (19k on a 08 plate) look in worse nick than my S40 (76k on a 54 plate) and that purely down to the two tone, as opposed to the full leather in mine. I think its rare to get the SE Sport trim the girlfriend looked for a C30 with that spec for ages, give the bodykit, chrome mirrors, but the heated full leather, we only found one in about 6 weeks & unfortunately that was a week after she'd got the R Design.
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 15:02   #6
jaygee
Avid Member

My opinions in RED

Diesel v petrol ? Diesel for sure!

Should I go for a nice buy petrol R design oooo looks good 08 09 plate?

Or wait n wait for a great 40k miles diesel option? Wait for the diesel

Diesel or Petrol? S Spec or SE Spec? or R Design - if you were about to buy a used 4 yr old minimum V50 or S40 - what you want what you recommend ? SE Lux

Did you go for the 40 over the 50 or vice versa? V50 - IF you are camping the extra boot space will be useful?

Are you happy? Do you think the petrols are worthy? Is the SE spec worth it? Is the R design worth it? SE as quote by scooby is much better than going R-design, for the very reasons scooby has pointed out

Hope that helps you decision making.

I think I've posted this before but ever since buying my V50 I do not think I will buy anything but a Volvo again. I love it!
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jaygee For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 24th, 2012, 21:11   #7
ChrisV50

Many thanks folks for the replies.

Good to hear from owners. I am kinda fed up of sensible advice regards the focus, astra, and the Kia Ceed - all great advice but when you want what you want .........

I am mostly seduced by the V50 its not huge, but its a nice size for the rucksacks loaded in and solo wise would be a good size to snooze in as well

The S40 is tempting too simply in that it falls a bit cheaper than its V50

I guess the V50 is done with and replaced by the V40 and V60 now

But thanks I do think diesel is becoming the most sensible option but still a little hmmmm with the quite large gap in price on the markets at the moment.

I know mileage is not much to a diesel but am also aiming for as low mileage as possible - come on the ex motability cars please

Old Jul 25th, 2012, 14:54   #8
slingading

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysn7x View Post
I went from a V40 (predessor to the V50) to a 2005 S40 and I've not regretted it, I had a shot in a V50 1.6D as a hire car for a day, was basic spec with Blis & stop start added, and I have to say I missed the leather seats, the premium sound system and the torque of my T5, but it was nice enough, wasn't as fast as other diesels I'd been in but was ok. I prefer the S40 over the V50 as I think the S40 looks nicer, and there's not as much extra room as you think in the V50. My girlfriend has a C30 1.6 petrol R Design and I have to say that feels a little under powered so I presume the 1.6 in the S40/V50 must be very under powered. If it was me I'd go for SE or SE Sport trim over r design as the two tone interior in the C30 is a nightmare to keep /look clean, The c30 interior in my girlfriends C30 (19k on a 08 plate) look in worse nick than my S40 (76k on a 54 plate) and that purely down to the two tone, as opposed to the full leather in mine. I think its rare to get the SE Sport trim the girlfriend looked for a C30 with that spec for ages, give the bodykit, chrome mirrors, but the heated full leather, we only found one in about 6 weeks & unfortunately that was a week after she'd got the R Design.

You can get R-Design's without the 2-tone leather you know, mine is plain dark Grey. I didnt want one with the 2-tone as it was too 'loud', it didnt look classy.

this is mine:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Oct 8th, 2012, 22:06   #9
ChrisV50

Many thanks Chaps

After a long journey of looking and thinking and almost opting out of Volvo dare I say it.

A bit of a treat came up.

A Volvo V50 D5 SE in black - the wood trim to boot - 08 plate with 36k miles

- will add some pics after I collect it at the weekend

I am so looking forward to the drive home with it - I am flying to Birmingham to collect it ...

And all the way I will be

Gangnam Style! V50 remix

The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2012, 08:06   #10
jaygee
Avid Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV50 View Post
Many thanks Chaps

After a long journey of looking and thinking and almost opting out of Volvo dare I say it.

A bit of a treat came up.

A Volvo V50 D5 SE in black - the wood trim to boot - 08 plate with 36k miles

- will add some pics after I collect it at the weekend

I am so looking forward to the drive home with it - I am flying to Birmingham to collect it ...

And all the way I will be

Gangnam Style! V50 remix

Looking forward to seeing the Gangnam Style remix!

V50 2.0D (05) SE Lux - Euro IV || 168 BHP - 404 NM
V40 D3 (13) SE Lux - Euro IV || 150 BHP - 350NM
jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote