Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V50 Battery/Electrical Power Issues

Views : 877

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 16:27   #1
Fmonty

Question V50 Battery/Electrical Power Issues

Afternoon all,

Last night I went to start my V50 D3 2011 and as I turned the key to III it all went dead. I assumed I had foolishly let the battery go flat so had it jump started and it eventually started after 20 minutes of donor power.

I then drove home, when coasting and going for a sharp turn all electrical power cut out but engine stayed running. I then got home and it promptly died electrically.

This morning I fitted a new battery and cleaned off all the terminals. I noticed a lot of heat damage around the positive terminal, even exposing some of the Battery Management System. The positive terminal clamp was only finger tight, and there was residue on the battery around the terminal.

New battery fitted and wires temporarily insulated with tape, it started fine, but after running for 5 minutes the positive terminal clamp was already warm.

Has anyone experienced this before? I assume the car cut out whilst driving because of high electrical load from the steering pump.

Next step to replace the exposed BMS wire and maybe the positive terminal wire?
Fmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 18:35   #2
Pete-V70 D5 2003

It would appear dodgy connections are the issue and this will cause heat. Undo them all and clean the terminals up witha fine wet n dry or sandpaper. Stick a dab of grease on and should be ok. First thing to try in your situation would have been the battery voltage AFTER checking the terminals.
Pete-V70 D5 2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete-V70 D5 2003 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 20:23   #3
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Worth checking the alternator output, could cause all those issues. Also they are prone to an internal short that can drain a battery

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IainG For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 10:36   #4
Fmonty

Hi both,

Thanks for your replies. I cleaned up the terminals and fitted the new battery, all was fine for 3 days and then this morning same issue with car cutting out as soon as I tried to turn the wheel and all electrical power gone. Whilst the car was running on the weekend the terminal connection was still getting very hot.

The battery terminals were tight and clean, so alternator is my next point of call. It is going into a local good garage for investigation and hopefully the alternator is the fault.

Will update in due course!
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 10:50   #5
Pete-V70 D5 2003

First thing to check when that happens is the battery voltage of course? If voltage is still good (+12) then the issue lies elsewhere clearly. Did you do this?
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 11:12   #6
Fmonty

Hi Pete,

I did not with the original battery as it had obvious damage and fluid leaking around the terminal, so changed it assuming it was very much dead.

As the car was dead around 100m from the garage this morning and not where my multimeter was I have passed it on to them.
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 17:18   #7
Fmonty

Hi all,

Fault found - the alternator was faulty and putting out 17V(!), this was then blowing the terminal fuse at peak and causing the total failure.

New alternator and soldered fuse joint and we are back on the road. Thanks all for the help.
Old Jun 27th, 2021, 11:55   #8
Pete-V70 D5 2003

How did you get on? Also worth noting that some garages put things back wrong so make sure nothings rubbing on steering column etc and no live wires exposed anywhere that could be shorting.

Tags
battery, v50, wiring