Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leather seats - not

Views : 2229

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 28th, 2018, 23:44   #1
FIBAMAN

Default Leather seats - not

Just noticed today that the side panel of the drivers seat on my 14 V70 is cracked, so it is not leather but vinyl.
With only 55k on the clock I am dismayed by this obvious corner cutting.
I gave up my 03 5 series BMW for this car, it had 250k on clock and the leather was in virtually perfect condition (side panels included).
Has anyone seen this before?
FIBAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 01:01   #2
PJordan

Volvo advertise it as leather faced so sides and back are other leather looking materials, as you say - vinyl.

I have never been under any illusions that it was all leather as all the information I have read online and in brochures states it is only leather faced.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 08:19   #3
green van man
Premier Member

Another reason I like cloth seats.
Unfortunately you are out of warrantee but given the milage you may get an ex gracia payment out of volvo towards repair. You need to speak to your dealer.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 08:56   #4
bersmasirah

My seat did exactly the same thing on my 59 plate S80 D5 at just under 4 years old and a similar mileage. It's had a strip of gorilla tape on it since then which has lasted longer than the original rubbish vinyl! By contrast the leather seats on my 17 year old LR Discovery at 130K are barely worn. Cost cutting as you say which Volvo probably didn't expect to fall apart well within the normal life of the car but I guess they were duped by the supplier into believing what a great material it was without any long term proof.

Other than the seats though the S80 has been a great buy and probably the best vehicle I've owned ever and light years ahead of anything made by Land Rover in terms of overall build quality! In 108K other than normal maintenance it's only needed two rear shocks, a temp sensor and boot wiring loom section replaced where it breaks through flexing with boot lid opening/closing.
bersmasirah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 11:12   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Some of the synthetics these days are so good that when they are new it is difficult to distinguish between the real and the fake leather. It is only when they wear that the plastic becomes obvious. If the seat designer gets it right the plastic is not put in areas which are subject to wear or stress but it's only long after the warranty has expired do you find out if he got the plastic material and the cover design right. On one of my long term cars the selection of plastic for the piping between the seat squab top and sides lead to the piping wearing away from the driver sliding over it to enter and leave the car. All the second hand cars of this model have this fault but the designer has, no doubt, long gone from the scene.
Old Jul 29th, 2018, 11:26   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bersmasirah View Post
My seat did exactly the same thing on my 59 plate S80 D5 at just under 4 years old and a similar mileage. It's had a strip of gorilla tape on it since then which has lasted longer than the original rubbish vinyl! By contrast the leather seats on my 17 year old LR Discovery at 130K are barely worn. Cost cutting as you say which Volvo probably didn't expect to fall apart well within the normal life of the car but I guess they were duped by the supplier into believing what a great material it was without any long term proof.

Other than the seats though the S80 has been a great buy and probably the best vehicle I've owned ever and light years ahead of anything made by Land Rover in terms of overall build quality! In 108K other than normal maintenance it's only needed two rear shocks, a temp sensor and boot wiring loom section replaced where it breaks through flexing with boot lid opening/closing.
That would apply to just about any car including volvo which is that old . Cost cutting came in around 2006 , I would imagine most manufacturers seats are similar material these days ..
Volvo will have an improved material on replacement seat covers I believe if you can get them to pay for the job .
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 08:51   #7
Steff79

I'm interested in this since my 65 plate v70 has done exactly the same. The bolster also seems more worn than I would expect an under 3yr old and 25k miles car.

Out of interest you mention warranty Green Van Man..... anyone got experience of Volvo sorting stuff like this?

I assumed not so was going to go to a seat repair person but it is not 3yrs until November and even after that has an extended warranty so might be worth a try.
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 08:59   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffan Eldred View Post
I'm interested in this since my 65 plate v70 has done exactly the same. The bolster also seems more worn than I would expect an under 3yr old and 25k miles car.

Out of interest you mention warranty Green Van Man..... anyone got experience of Volvo sorting stuff like this?

I assumed not so was going to go to a seat repair person but it is not 3yrs until November and even after that has an extended warranty so might be worth a try.
Your car is in warranty there should be no problem , as I said :
"Volvo will have an improved material on replacement seat covers"
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 11:10   #9
Steff79

Excellent. Thanks Clan.

Think I had better get it to the dealer.... I have quite a list of niggles!
Steff79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2018, 12:29   #10
Thommykent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIBAMAN View Post
Just noticed today that the side panel of the drivers seat on my 14 V70 is cracked, so it is not leather but vinyl.
From BMW`s website for 5 series. You can`t even get leather until you step up to the $61,000 model. Other wise you get something called Sensi-Tec ( probably fancy vinyl). From the site here is a statement regarding seating surfaces.
"Selected material is on all seating surfaces; other components may be Leather or SensaTec"
Thommykent is offline   Reply With Quote