Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Slight free play in the steering

Views : 3338

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 31st, 2018, 09:55   #1
Turbodave
VOC Member

Default Slight free play in the steering

Chaps,

Probably thinking out loud here but bear with me...

I have a very small amount of free play in the steering wheel on my V70. It's probably about 2mm lateral play in the wheel so I've investigated and I know that it's not between the wheels and the rack, the universal joints seems fine (and lubricated) so unless it's within the rack, I think it may be the lower shaft but it's difficult to be sure...

But has this part (13) got any parts within that could wear and create play aside for the universal joint? Somebody suggested there is a part of the rack that is a splined shaft that slides inside a splined tube (excuse the crap descriptions!) and that this may be worn and that drilling through both and putting a roll pin through could be a cheap / easy way to at least eliminate that part... but which part that refers to, I don't know but perhaps where part 9 meets with the upper part of the column (not illustrated)

In short, is there anything that is more likely to be to blame. I'm 99% sure the play is in the column, not the rack as holding the base of the column and rocking the wheel does seem to have a bit of play, but again so slight it's difficult to ascertain where.

Issue is, at 80mph on the motorway it becomes a wee bit more apparent!

Cheers

Last edited by Turbodave; Jul 31st, 2018 at 10:09.
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 11:04   #2
Turbodave
VOC Member

Veering slightly off topic but lots of Googling the subject has also lead me to believe that some rountine cleaning and lubricating of the lower joint won't go amiss... granted it won't solve the free play but when in there, worth doing...

1. Take lower kick panel off to give you some more room
2. Peel back carpet
3. Boot is doubled over on itself. Peel the first layer back to expose big clip to remove.
4. Pull entire boot up.
5. Take that 13/14mm nut off the steering shaft and the lower part will swing away from the top that moves up and down.
6. You see the bearing in there. Mine was starting to get stiff and make have been a source of some sounds. Cleaned with brake cleaner, oiled and then greases. Good as new.
7. Exposed c/v joint was bad. Very stiff. Hit it with Kroil (sp?) penetrating oil and let is soak for half hour. Worked it up and down and left and right until my hand cramped...felt a bit better. More oil and more motions. Added some c/v grease, just some purple moly stuff I had from work for high temp use. Made a mess of the c/v joint and put back together.
8. Reverse of taking a part...went back together easily. Moves WAY more smoothly.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 11:23   #3
Kevin_L

the steering wheel is loose

take off the air bag and tighten the column nut
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 11:38   #4
Turbodave
VOC Member

Hmmm, I did not consider that however if that was the case would the wheel not have play fore and aft and not just when rocked? There's no side to side movement in the steering wheel, ie hold the wheel and 9 and 3 and rock forwards and backwards and it's solid... it just free play off the centre point.

Will certainly check, though removing airbags doesn't sound like an enjoyable process... any procedures to follow? I assume battery disconnected and lave it for an hour or so or can the bag be removed but left plugged in whilst I check the nut?
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 11:57   #5
Kevin_L

yes disconnect battery and leave for 10minutes - air bag removal is dependant on year - earlier is torx fixings, later is a spring loaded clip
Kevin_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 13:14   #6
oragex
Premier Member

If that a play or more like a vagueness feeling?

Part 13 has the lower coupler on it (at it's lower point) but this coupler seizes rather than getting some play.

But check if the bolt 12 on top of the part 13 is in place and secure (don't tighten it, just ask someone to move the steering wheel while you look at the bolt).

To check if the steering wheel itself is loose, again keep a front wheel from moving (may park the car against a curb) and rock the steering wheel.

The steering wheel airbag is a bit tricky to release, it has clips (or torx screws) behind, maybe there's some video on Youtube
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 14:40   #7
Turbodave
VOC Member

Cheers.

No, the steering vague at all, quite the opposite so it's definitely not a worn bush or geometry related and the lower arms, inner and out track road ends are all new and it's just had a four wheel geometry set up (at huge cost!) and the very slight free play in the wheel was noted... though I knew it was there but it's very very slight, but it's there. It's feels like a small bit of play in a splined joint or a UJ coupling or something like that but it's not knocking.

I'll pass on parking it against a kerb, it's sat on 18" Pegs thus that would be a dear day out but I know what you mean when you say lock the road wheels and check for play thereafter. I'll check and lubricate the lower couple this evening as a matter of course (though it won't help the free play) but I'm confused by where this other chap said the two sections slide together on a splined joint... would this be where the top of part 9 meets the upper part of the steering axle?

I how does section 9 come out... once bolt 12 is removed and that joint disconnected, does section 9 just slide down and off the upper part of the column and if so, I better not remove it or my wheel / rack alignment could end up all to pot!
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 18:20   #8
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodave View Post
I how does section 9 come out... once bolt 12 is removed and that joint disconnected, does section 9 just slide down and off the upper part of the column and if so, I better not remove it or my wheel / rack alignment could end up all to pot!

Section 9 comes out completely if needed, may need a little bit of pulling because at the top is full of grease which acts like a shear force a bit. Be sure to mark one of the splines between section 9 and the part where it's engages, so as to insert it back at the exact rotation (good to have the steering wheel straight when doing so)
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 19:40   #9
Turbodave
VOC Member

I've sussed it out.

Checked the 18mm nut on the steering wheel first and having mastered how to unclip the airbag, checked it and got a fraction of a turn on it but nothing significant.

Next, did my Russian gymnast act and got under the pedals and unbolted the lower universal joint bolt, pushing the upper section up and giving room to wrestle the rubber boot off.

Cleaned and greased the bearing, what purpose it serves evades me as it's not load bearing of whatever but never the less, it's done anyway.

With the lower coupling disconnected and flopping around, I put light turning force on it and there's definitely a tiny bit of play evident, which will obviously multiply up at the wheel. The universal joint isn't seized or stiff but there's play there, not much... but enough.

So, looks like it needs the lower coupling replaced which is annoying as I believe that can be a bit of a bugger of a job, more so knocking the universal joint off the rack itself?

Any hints or tips or is it a air chisel and a tame mechanic job and any suggestions where to source... I assume Volvo only?

Cheers gents

Last edited by Turbodave; Jul 31st, 2018 at 19:47.
Old Jul 31st, 2018, 20:37   #10
oragex
Premier Member

Good find, the coupler has a lower bolt but the harder part is that the coupler itself may get stuck on the steering rod coming from the rack (but who knows, maybe it was already replaced some time ago so may come out gently)

Not sure how to pull it if it's stuck, maybe kick it with a hammer but that may damage the rack. Maybe cut it with a dremel tool?