Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

tailgate strut removal and wiring loom repair

Views : 1431

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2018, 10:18   #1
rogereld

Default tailgate strut removal and wiring loom repair

How do I remove the plastic trim panels in the rear of the luggage area. The ones that cover the rear lights and the tailgate struts?

The rear wiper stopped working, and now the boot will not lock or unlock. Replacing the fuse fixed the problem but it soon blew again and inspection of the wiring loom at the hinge point suggests the wiring has probably broken. I want to release the loom at the connector block which is by the rear speaker and get some access to remove the sleeving and do a repair.

I have also had some oil dripping through one of the trim panel joints in the top of the luggage area on to the luggage cover for a while and I suspect one of the tailgate struts has been leaking so I want to tackle both jobs at the same time if they both need the trim removing.

I have been searching the forum and also looking for videos and so far I have found one video on wiring loom repair that says he used a chisel because he did not know how to remove the trim, and one on tailgate strut replacement done by children that does not show how the panels were removed.

I have removed the top centre plastic trim, that holds the interior light for the luggage area, and I have removed the speaker covers. I can not see how to remove the large plastic trim section that covers the lights and speaker area and goes up to cover the hinge and tailgate strut pivot.

Can anyone help with any directions or useful links please?
rogereld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 10:56   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzODxCjalKQ
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 12:07   #3
rogereld

Thank you Brendan. The V70 in this video has different trim panels, and still left me guessing on where to pull, or how to avoid cracking the plastic.

I have now removed the top side trim which runs above the side window which is shorter in my 2001 P2 v70 than the sections shown in the video. That has allowed me to pull the pillar trim away just enough to reach the point where the tailgate loom is cable tied to a fixing point and I have managed to snip the cable tie. That has allowed me to get the grey multi connector up and with a bit of lowering of the tailgate, out through the hinge.

Peeling back the two layers of sleeving has revealed a lot of broken wires. At the point where they are broken they are very stiff and it feels like the insulation on each wire has gone hard and brittle.

I will need to get some heat shrink sleeving and then do a bit of soldering.

There was oil on the roof trim panels from the struts on both sides so I will need to find a couple of good tailgate struts before I reassemble the trim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3338.jpg (66.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3341c.jpg (124.4 KB, 31 views)
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 12:44   #4
Brendan W
Premier Member

Wow. Never seen one as bad as that. Looks like someone took a hatchet to it.
What was pinching them? You wonder about the wisdom of putting wires and a hinge in the same hole.
Rock and a hard place with the soldering. Not really enough room for spades but if the wires start bending near solder they will break soon. Bind them up good and tight a good length both ways from the break I suppose.
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 13:00   #5
rogereld

There is a plastic clip on cover that holds the loom to the hinge bracket. From the bottom of the hinge, the loom bends approximately 90 degrees and feeds to the side, where it is held on the side of the pillar by a cable tie. The damage appears to be where the loom exits the plastic cover on the hinge.

A main dealer have quoted just under £150 inc VAT for a replacement loom. I could get something from a breaker, but it could have hidden faults and be not much better than what I have now so repair seems a good place to start.
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 13:03   #6
Brendan W
Premier Member

At least you have a 'smoking gun'. Quite often you see people know the wire is broken but the insulation is intact. I wonder how big a job it would be to completely rewire from plug to plug.
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 15:40   #7
harveys
Master Member

I had the same issues with mine ,But I went for a replacement harness Volvo charged £120 for it happy to pay that as I keeping the car long-term.
You also need to consider the fire risk , I can recall a V70 that did catch fire at the hinge .
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 16:08   #8
rogereld

That began to sound familiar and got me searching some old threads. This one was about a broken tailgate wiring loom but had a different title and I had not found it in my earlier searches even though I had contributed to it in 2016.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=260136 (2003 V70 rear electrics).
The Following User Says Thank You to rogereld For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2018, 21:48   #9
Brendan W
Premier Member

I imagine that they are industry standard terminations in the plugs that could be freed with a small screwdriver and replaced with new.
Old Aug 12th, 2018, 08:56   #10
Theeggman

If you are removing the loom could you not splice in new sections of cable terminating on a non-flexing length and save some pennies?

2005 XC70 Auto. Now Sold.
Theeggman is offline   Reply With Quote