Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sender unit problems

Views : 600

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2018, 13:27   #1
Rangers789

Default Sender unit problems

Hi. I have a 2007 S80 D5 and after intermittent instances of the car not starting (would turn over but not start) had the sender unit replaced. The same issue persisted and the garage replaced the unit again. And...the issue continues.An AA guy had seen the problem before and showed me how to hit the fuel tank to release something and in most cases, ilthe car then starts! I can’t continue to do this or spend ££ without getting a long term fix. Does anyone have any ideas and suggestions as to what is causing the persistent failure? Thanks in advance
Rangers789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 14:09   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers789 View Post
Hi. I have a 2007 S80 D5 and after intermittent instances of the car not starting (would turn over but not start) had the sender unit replaced. The same issue persisted and the garage replaced the unit again. And...the issue continues.An AA guy had seen the problem before and showed me how to hit the fuel tank to release something and in most cases, ilthe car then starts! I can’t continue to do this or spend ££ without getting a long term fix. Does anyone have any ideas and suggestions as to what is causing the persistent failure? Thanks in advance
do you mean the engine would not start because there was no fuel and the sender was stuck showing some fuel ?
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 17:41   #3
Rangers789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
do you mean the engine would not start because there was no fuel and the sender was stuck showing some fuel ?
There was plenty of fuel in the tank and engine turns over. Just doesn’t start - unless I whack bottom of fuel tank! Thanks for your reply and question.
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 20:04   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Piossily clogged filter or stuck fuel pump

Replace one then the other...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 20:52   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Isn't there an in tank pump on these ?
Sounds to me as if it's a pump that doesnot want to start, which could be crud or just worn out.
It realy depends where this pump is, confess I do not know but have come across some where it's biuld into the sender unit. As 2 of these have been changed if the pump is in the sender unit then it has to be either filter (which I would expect to be on the same unit) or wireing to the pump.
If the pump is seperate I would be looking to hoik it out and have a look see. In fact were it mine I would assess condition of pump and dependant on price put a new one in if there was any doubt.

Fuel filter is about £32 I think so not going to break the bank compared to the in tank pump and would do no harm to change.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 21:39   #6
Rangers789

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
Piossily clogged filter or stuck fuel pump

Replace one then the other...
Thanks for your reply and suggestion - very helpful.
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 21:40   #7
Rangers789

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
Isn't there an in tank pump on these ?
Sounds to me as if it's a pump that doesnot want to start, which could be crud or just worn out.
It realy depends where this pump is, confess I do not know but have come across some where it's biuld into the sender unit. As 2 of these have been changed if the pump is in the sender unit then it has to be either filter (which I would expect to be on the same unit) or wireing to the pump.
If the pump is seperate I would be looking to hoik it out and have a look see. In fact were it mine I would assess condition of pump and dependant on price put a new one in if there was any doubt.

Fuel filter is about £32 I think so not going to break the bank compared to the in tank pump and would do no harm to change.

Paul.
Thanks for your reply and advice. Really helpful! Thanks
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 21:46   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
There was plenty of fuel in the tank and engine turns over. Just doesn’t start - unless I whack bottom of fuel tank! Thanks for your reply and question.
ahh right , you better get a new in tank pump , that will sort it out .
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 18:03   #9
Rangers789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
ahh right , you better get a new in tank pump , that will sort it out .
I believe the fuel pump is part of the sender unit which worries me as after 2 new sender units, it’s still failing. Wondering if I need a new tank or perhaps it’s an electrical fault? Thanks again for your reply.
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 20:41   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I believe the fuel pump is part of the sender unit which worries me as after 2 new sender units, it’s still failing. Wondering if I need a new tank or perhaps it’s an electrical fault? Thanks again for your reply.
The terminals on top the sender for the fuel pump can overheat , try replacing the plug and terminals on the car loom plug .