Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How is BOOST measured in the 2.0d engine??

Views : 6183

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2015, 21:16   #41
alfadave11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELO View Post
So at idle the turbo actuator rod should be fully retracted in Max boost position, touching the stop screw?
it will be moved to default position ie it will be moved against spring tension
the position will be low boost
alfadave11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alfadave11 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 5th, 2015, 21:03   #42
alfadave11

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=170193
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 13:42   #43
ELO

Update :-

Action taken -

1. Checked air filter for obstruction - clean
2. Check all charge pipes for splits or leaks - replaced 1 as precaution but P0299 still present
3. Make homemade boost leak tester and pressurize from turbo outlet up to end of charge pipes before throttle body, thus checking all charge pipes and intercooler for leaks - held 25 psi solid
4. Replace MAP sensor with new - no change
5. Clean MAF sensor - no change
5. Replace 3 TCVs (turbo control valves) and all vacuum hoses - no change (diagram of set up here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239019 )
6. Remove intake manifold and clean, check for cracks, renew gasket and o-rings - no change
8. Check for obstructions in exhaust as turbo can be resticted by blocked DPF or CAT (just loosened cat from turbo and drove so turbo could vent out easily) - no change
9. Checked turbo vane movement and operation by creating vacuum at actuator with a length of pipe and sucking with my mouth - worked fine
10. Cleaned vanes side of turbo to be on safe side - no change
11. Checked vacuum pump output - 27-28"Hg - fine
12. Checked vacuum at TCV output to turbo - 27"Hg - fine
13. Checked vacuum required to move actuator - 1-2"Hg to start and full actuation at 17"Hg - fine

Last thing in sequence to check -

14. Check operation of Turbo Actuator Position Sensor - remove and clean, then check voltage supply to sensor is good ( I was getting 5v between pin 1 and 2 and 4.3v between pin 1 and 3. Pin 1= +ve, pin 2= -ve, pin 3= signal).

This is where it gets odd! Since Ive taken this sensor out and checked it, exercised it, and cleaned it I've gone from one problem - P0299 under boost - up to P0238 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor 'A' Circuit High !!!

With the underboost fault the car was working fine, no limp mode or breaks in power delivery, but now when I hit 3000rpm under load, like climbing a hill or accelerating hard in 4th, where high boost is requested, the car is sensing over boost at 3000rpm and shutting off power delivery!!

I have ordered a new Actuator sensor and will fit it as soon as it arrives.

If this doesn't work its going back to have its remap erased or altered.
ELO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 15:51   #44
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Yes. The car is driving fine. The tuner is suggesting that he could just delete the under boost code from the ECU as a solution but that is glossing over faults to me and doesn't sit right!

Could it be possible that if EGR hasn't been mapped out properly then ECU is expecting different MAP values and therefore throwing up under boost fault code??
Car is running fine then there are no faults to gloss over. You seem to have spent a lot of time and cash to try and delete a code that is causing no issues.
I would have taken back to who ever did the remap.
Some EGR blanks need a hole in them to avoid confusing the ECU
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 21:39   #45
alfadave11

Quote:
Update :-

Action taken -

1. Checked air filter for obstruction - clean
2. Check all charge pipes for splits or leaks - replaced 1 as precaution but P0299 still present
3. Make homemade boost leak tester and pressurize from turbo outlet up to end of charge pipes before throttle body, thus checking all charge pipes and intercooler for leaks - held 25 psi solid
4. Replace MAP sensor with new - no change
5. Clean MAF sensor - no change
5. Replace 3 TCVs (turbo control valves) and all vacuum hoses - no change (diagram of set up here http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=239019 )
6. Remove intake manifold and clean, check for cracks, renew gasket and o-rings - no change
8. Check for obstructions in exhaust as turbo can be resticted by blocked DPF or CAT (just loosened cat from turbo and drove so turbo could vent out easily) - no change
9. Checked turbo vane movement and operation by creating vacuum at actuator with a length of pipe and sucking with my mouth - worked fine
10. Cleaned vanes side of turbo to be on safe side - no change
11. Checked vacuum pump output - 27-28"Hg - fine
12. Checked vacuum at TCV output to turbo - 27"Hg - fine
13. Checked vacuum required to move actuator - 1-2"Hg to start and full actuation at 17"Hg - fine

Last thing in sequence to check -

14. Check operation of Turbo Actuator Position Sensor - remove and clean, then check voltage supply to sensor is good ( I was getting 5v between pin 1 and 2 and 4.3v between pin 1 and 3. Pin 1= +ve, pin 2= -ve, pin 3= signal).

This is where it gets odd! Since Ive taken this sensor out and checked it, exercised it, and cleaned it I've gone from one problem - P0299 under boost - up to P0238 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor 'A' Circuit High !!!

With the underboost fault the car was working fine, no limp mode or breaks in power delivery, but now when I hit 3000rpm under load, like climbing a hill or accelerating hard in 4th, where high boost is requested, the car is sensing over boost at 3000rpm and shutting off power delivery!!

I have ordered a new Actuator sensor and will fit it as soon as it arrives.

If this doesn't work its going back to have its remap erased or altered.
removing actuator and refitting it has given you code p0238 which is consistent with variable vane issue ie sticking but more than likely out of phase ...that's why turbo technics garrett have a flow bench to set thus the adjustment rod
in your vida dice select parameters for desired and actual boost pressure and run a log of driving ...you will see actual and desired not being in sync
I still think your car problems are YOUR REMAP you shouldn't be going through all this when you didn't have issue before ....its called an action causes a reaction
Old Nov 12th, 2015, 21:49   #46
ELO

I wouldn't dare play with the actuator rod set up as I'm aware its factory set and I wouldn't be able to set it right. I've merely removed the electronic actuator sensor and tested it, then refitted it. I suspect it's been giving out poor information. Since refitting it exactly as it was removed, but having cleaned and exercised it for smoother operation, the underboost fault code has gone and been replaced by over boost fault code! It's the last possible thing I can check, if the new one doesn't sort the problem then its back to the tuners with the confidence that I've checked everything I can before I suggest someone else is at fault.
Old Nov 24th, 2015, 15:45   #47
ELO

Update:

After all that searching and testing I decided to return to the tuners and get the car's software map returned to stock. So far after two drives its not showing the P0299 or P0238 Boost fault codes.

She is back to how Volvo intended now.

Stick with stock is the moral of the story here!!
Old Nov 24th, 2015, 18:26   #48
alfadave11

Quote:
Update:

After all that searching and testing I decided to return to the tuners and get the car's software map returned to stock. So far after two drives its not showing the P0299 or P0238 Boost fault codes.

like ive stated before ....these are generic maps they download and call themselves tuners
moral of story is take it to professionals with a good reputation ..mappers charge in region of £400
Old Nov 24th, 2015, 18:30   #49
ELO

I'm not 100% out of woods yet....http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...29#post2016429
Old Nov 21st, 2023, 20:27   #50
nolanc30

Quote:
Update:

could you have been maxing out the stock map sensor? its only good for 2 bar and a mapped 2.0d would be about 2.5
nolanc30 is offline   Reply With Quote