Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new member volvo 145

Views : 2446

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 18:07   #11
Underdrive

SandG; Sorry to hijack this thread, has the 140 you are breaking got a usable nearside front wing?
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2020, 21:00   #12
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
SandG; Sorry to hijack this thread, has the 140 you are breaking got a usable nearside front wing?
It would be an excellent sieve, but not usable as a wing I'm afraid
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 09:35   #13
Underdrive

Ok, not to worry. Don't need a seive so I'll let you keep it.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6th, 2020, 22:00   #14
142 Guy
Master Member

That is a very nice looking 145. Either the product of a very extensive restoration or a car that has been stored in a giant Ziploc storage bag for the last 50 years. A nice acquisition either way.

The up-side to rare is that you won't be meeting yourself driving down the road soon, or ever.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 18:26   #15
145estate
145estate

Thank you....yes it appears to be a rare car indeed....it has obviously undergone some restoration down the line, I'm the third owner, the first being a retired major i believe based somewhere in suffolk/norfolk.
Nigel Case was the second owner who bought the car from a classic car auction roughly 4 years ago, he used it on a regular basis but he does own a classic car rental and storage company (kept in cocoons ) so its been looked after.

Unfortunately i don't keep it in a garage at the moment and the weathers been pretty bad lately, consequently I've got a couple of leaks, one i think through the front screen (glovebox has an inch of water in it) the other rear seat footwell slightly damp oh and a bit round the rear end.
Ive ordered door and hatch seal rubbers from brooches so should fit them soon.
thanks
145estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 18:35   #16
145estate
145estate

Hi swedishandgerman, I have tried to send you a private message but i need a post count of 30 apparently, I can be reached on Whatsap 07940458890, don't worry anybody Im fine giving my number out.
thanks
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 19:42   #17
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 145estate View Post

Unfortunately i don't keep it in a garage at the moment and the weathers been pretty bad lately, consequently I've got a couple of leaks, one i think through the front screen (glovebox has an inch of water in it) the other rear seat footwell slightly damp oh and a bit round the rear end.
Ive ordered door and hatch seal rubbers from brooches so should fit them soon.
thanks
My 1971 142E has the bonded windshield and not the gasket mounted windshield so my comments may not be applicable if you have the gasket mounted windshield. My observation is that if you have the bonded windshield, because of the way the glass overlaps the body along the bottom edge of the glass it would be difficult for significant amounts of water to work its way up under a failed bond and into the passenger compartment. The more likely result of failure there is dampness along the bottom edge of the glass and rusting at the glass - body interface. I would be more inclined to check the rubber grommets / seals around the windshield wiper drive. On a LHD 140, there are also 4 huge rubber plugs in this cowl area that are directly over the LHD glovebox. If these plugs are compromised water would drain from the cowl area directly into the glove box. On a LHD car these plugs don't exist on the driver side where your glove box would reside and I don't know whether RHD cars have the equivalent plugs in that area. Something worth checking. I have a photo of the inside of my car during restoration showing the plug location and I will post it if I can find it and if I have enough posts logged to get permission for posting.

The other place to check is at the top of the heater. There is a large fresh air intake for the heater that extends up into the cowl at the base of the windshield. This fresh air intake is sealed with a large foam gasket which hardens / shrinks / cracks (all the getting old symptoms). Normally, water that enters into the cowl would drain to the left and right via the fresh air vents in the footwells. If you have debris in the cowl area or the car is parked at a significant angle or if you have a significant deluge (car wash event) it is possible for water to get into the area of that foam seal and drain down into the passenger area. However, I would normally expect this water to drain down around the outside of the heater box and into the floor area unless it managed to run along the inside of the cowl area before dripping into the glove box. If this is the source of the water I would also be checking under the front carpets for dampness.

If you had a trunk, I could help you with water problems there; but, can offer no advice on tailgate or rear passenger door seal problems.
Old Oct 15th, 2020, 19:53   #18
142 Guy
Master Member

I now have permission for attachments. The four round black spots on the right are the four rubber plugs I talked about. Check to see if you have the equivalent on your RHD car.

Looking at that photo, if the bond in the glass right above the glove box had a significant failure I expect that it would be possible for moisture to work its way up under the glass and down into the glove box area. However, to have a significant accumulation of water I would expect that you would have to be shooting a pressure washer directly below the window trim in that area for an extended period. On the bonded windshield there is a piece of plastic trim between the base of the glass and the top of the dashboard. If you pull back this trim (carefully because it is easy to break - long and flimsy) it will expose the base of the glass and any water ingress should be obvious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP1283 comp.jpg (88.3 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by 142 Guy; Oct 15th, 2020 at 20:01.
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 07:03   #19
mocambique-amazone
Master Member

Hi 145 guy
At your car the windscreen is bonded.
This old stuff isn't made for 50 years to resist the attacks of rain etc.

The new stuff, PU, is way better.

The old bond you can't cut out. It will stick again behind the knife. At WD40 or other thin oil while cutting. It's a mess.

If you want to stay 100% original you have to buy the old stuff from a Mercedes Dealer.

Good luck and safe this beautifully car.

Regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mocambique-amazone For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2020, 10:13   #20
145estate
145estate

thank you so much guys for taking the time to help me.