Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

240 Whining Noise

Views : 5059

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 7th, 2007, 03:30   #1
xasm

Default 240 Whining Noise

Hey all,

I just stumbled on this form a few days ago and now I've been searching through it like mad! Tons of good info on here, I've already learned a lot.

My 1990 240DL is making a whining noise when moving. Now, this noise sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side, near the wheel, or perhaps above it, hard to tell while driving. I jacked it up yesterday and spun the wheel to see if it might have been a wheel bearing, but I didn't hear the same noise. The pitch of the noise varies directly with speed, not engine RPM, nor does it matter how quickly I accelerate. If I turn the car off while driving at about 40km/h, the noise is still there, so I know it's mechanical and not electrical. Oh ya, it doesn't happen when stopped, only when moving.

I'm still not positive that it isn't the wheel bearing, but I did change the driver side wheel bearing not too long ago, but it was making a grinding noise when it went. Could it be the alternator?

Does anyone have any ideas on where I should start looking for the problem?

Also, from my searching on this forum, I've found likely problems to a couple other issues that I have. I haven't fixed them yet of course; but I'll get to them eventually. One was a knocking sound under the driver's side footwell that's probably related to the front wishbone rear bushing. The other was sqealing noise from the engine; drive belts of course.

One more question to finish off my first post. When jacking the car, I saw in another post to jack it up at the front cross member and then place the jack stands at the jacking points behind the front wheels. The only problem is, which is the front cross member?

Thanks guys!! Much appreciated.

Tim
xasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 04:58   #2
adamsky01
back for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasm View Post
Hey all,

I just stumbled on this form a few days ago and now I've been searching through it like mad! Tons of good info on here, I've already learned a lot.

My 1990 240DL is making a whining noise when moving. Now, this noise sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side, near the wheel, or perhaps above it, hard to tell while driving. I jacked it up yesterday and spun the wheel to see if it might have been a wheel bearing, but I didn't hear the same noise. The pitch of the noise varies directly with speed, not engine RPM, nor does it matter how quickly I accelerate. If I turn the car off while driving at about 40km/h, the noise is still there, so I know it's mechanical and not electrical. Oh ya, it doesn't happen when stopped, only when moving.

I'm still not positive that it isn't the wheel bearing, but I did change the driver side wheel bearing not too long ago, but it was making a grinding noise when it went. Could it be the alternator?

Does anyone have any ideas on where I should start looking for the problem?

Also, from my searching on this forum, I've found likely problems to a couple other issues that I have. I haven't fixed them yet of course; but I'll get to them eventually. One was a knocking sound under the driver's side footwell that's probably related to the front wishbone rear bushing. The other was sqealing noise from the engine; drive belts of course.

One more question to finish off my first post. When jacking the car, I saw in another post to jack it up at the front cross member and then place the jack stands at the jacking points behind the front wheels. The only problem is, which is the front cross member?

Thanks guys!! Much appreciated.

Tim
it is the bearing m8 when u jack the car up next take the grease cap of and see how much grease is in there what ever u will still need to replace the bearings
adamsky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:25   #3
malb

Default Front crosss member

Hi, The front crossmember is the transverse bit accross the front sub frame members. It supports front mounts for front suspension wishbones, engine mounts, steering rack and front brake lines.

In terms of jacking, it depends on what equipment you have, and what parts of the car you need clear access to. Crossmember lift needs a trolley jack but can lift whole front together. Stands under jack points may not work if the fitting at the top of stand is not compatable, mine are too wide to fit into jack recess but too short to fit accross it. A good alround spot is under the lower suspension brace if fitted. (round tube from outer end of crossmember to rear w/bone rear bush housing on each side).

Primarily, the essential thing is to ensure that the stand location and head fitting will give stable support to the car without restricting access to the components you are working on.
malb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 12:53   #4
Peter D
Peter D

Bearing fail in different ways but if you whine starts as 30 and peaks at 60 then seems to get quiter then it sure is the bearing. Regards Peter
Peter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 14:41   #5
xasm

Thanks for the help guys. Makes sense that it is the bearing. I did recently get the front drivers side replaced, so it makes sense that they both go around the same time since they have the same wear.

Last time I didn't replace it myself, but I'll give it a shot this time around and see what happens. Hopefully I won't need any *special* tools. hah.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Tim
Old May 15th, 2007, 04:34   #6
xasm

Well, to somewhat of a suprise, it was not the wheel bearing...

Not only that, but I couldn't even get the Calipers off! The bolts were on too tight for my non-air tools to loosen. I must have put them on way too tight with the impact gun when I changed the rotors. But I don't have that tool anymore, maybe soon when I have some more space to work I'll get a compressor.

Either way, I did have the front passenger side wheel bearing replaced at a local volvo certified mechanic. Great shop, KWL in Toronto, just opened up in November. By all means head that way if you have a Volvo and you live in Toronto...

So, now that my 240 is still whining, another Volvo enthusiast who I bought car off of suggests that it could be the center hanger bearing. Does anyone know what that is? Me neither, I'm looking into now. The whining seems to be the worst when it's cold and damp and in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Perhaps it just needs some grease. I haven't searched the forum about this yet, but I am about to; well, after I read all the other new posts!

Cheers,
Tim
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:20   #7
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I think that means the roller bearing supporting the middle of the propellor (drive) shaft. It is held in a rubber carrier, clamped in a support cross-member.
You can undo two bolts, and lower the cross member and drop the prop assembly clear of the underside of the car. pell back the rubber, exposing the bearing, and spin it to test for noise or roughness.
it's a palaver replacing it, but in my experience they respond well to a few drop of oil injected behind the seal, without any dismantling. It's easy to test, and at least eliminates one further common suspect.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:42   #8
malb

Default "centre hanger bearing"

Hi, back again.

My best guess on a "centre hanger bearing" would be the bearing in the centre of the tailshaft (rear of first half). But it is located behind the B pillar, so the whine won't be coming from the front end of the car, probably about in line with your ears with seat slid back and seatback near upright. Is a sealed bearing and press fit onto shaft so a workshop job to replace.

Is the car auto or manual? If manual could be clutch thrust bearing running, (cable adjustment) but would expect some change in noise when pedal depressed.

First post mentioned 40km/h coasting with engine off and noise still present, that would tend to rule out all engine accessory items such as pumps and alternator.

Only other thing that I can think of in the front half of the car would be stone flicked into brake system. Does happen but they make a very obvious scraping sound and either you or the guy who did the bearing for you would notice it when you started on the bearing.
malb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 19:02   #9
xasm

Thanks for the info.

The car is manual, and the noise does not change when the clutch is pressed or depressed.. Going to try and find the bearing tonight, should be interesting, I think it's near the middle of the car. I'll let you know what happens.

Tim
Old May 22nd, 2007, 23:28   #10
93240se
VOC Member 3801

Default whining noise

Could it be a sticking piston in the caliper ? My 240 occasionally has noise from the front end when first moving then dies down & disappears after a while. Also seems worse when it has been raining, like a slight build up of rust on the disc.

Regards Richard. VOC 3801
93240se is online now   Reply With Quote