Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Dad is buying a 440

Views : 594

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 14:53   #1
gturban

Default Dad is buying a 440

My dad just crashed his Toyota and is wondering about buying a 440, are they good cars? I have a v70 and I'm very pleased. But know nothing about the 440!

He wants something reliable... He's not a hazard on the road but I would like him to have a safe car as well.. Are they safe despite the age? he's been looking at a 90 model, not sure what engine..

Thanks
GT

Last edited by gturban; Sep 3rd, 2009 at 14:55.
gturban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 15:32   #2
ahal
Master Member

Smile

Okay, my opinions ...

If you want outright reliability, Toyota is the better choice. If you want quite good reliability, safety, a car that can withstand serious knocks and still keep going, loads of space ( with the rear seats dropped ), reasonable economy and a fair amount of nice electrical gizmos ( like heated seats - even on base models ) the 440 is a good bet. It also looks quite modern, even though the last of them were made 12 years ago, and they're cheap to buy.

Coming from a Japanese car your dad is going to find both the pedals ( clutch in particular ) very heavy, and - in common with Opel / Vauxhall, VW etc. you have to 'put' these volvos into gear. They don't just slide into gear with the little finger, they're a wee bit more agricultural in my experience. Any time I drive a Japanese car I keep thinking I've missed gears every time

There's plenty of advice on the 440 threads about buying ... I would say, having owned one for nearly 9 years, that it's the best car I will ever own. I suppose the main thing to watch for is neglected examples. Volvo have such a reputation for durability that sometimes people will have ignored the basics, like oil changes. I'd check that the cooling works okay too.

Regards,

Tony.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 15:35   #3
ahal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtufta View Post
I would like him to have a safe car as well.. Are they safe despite the age? he's been looking at a 90 model, not sure what engine..

Thanks
GT
Yes they are safe, though no airbag on the series 1 models. Airbag came in late 1993 if memory serves, with the facelifted series 2 range. I have both series 1 and 2. You still get some serious side impact beams on the series 1 as well, and it feels a bit more solid than the newer model. The newer one feels a bit less solid, but has the driver's airbag.
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 16:44   #4
gturban

Thank you very much!
He just bought it, said he was inspired since I'm so happy with the v70, he bought from a mechanic, so I would think it is looked over properly.
My dad normally pushes himself a bit harder than he should(working too much), so it's important for me to know that he's got a safe car! And for him its important that it is reliable..
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 16:55   #5
s60

I had a 1994 1.8 440 a few years ago great car, had loads of fun with it. decent spec for age as well
s60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 19:56   #6
ahal
Master Member

Smile

I don't know how I forgot this but the series 1 like the one your dad is looking at also has a manual choke, whereas the facelift one has an automatic one. In fairness this should only be an issue if not used to a manual choke ... in fact I've often heard people say that manual is more economical - and certainly anyone 40+ years of age would probably be familiar with them anyway.

Regards,

Tony
Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 21:23   #7
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

Good Choice Good luck Dad! LOL
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote