Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1072417

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2018, 00:52   #12561
skyship007
Premier Member

Thumbs up 300 K service done last week.

New oil and all filters including a Skandix cabin air filter. Local Indy Liquid Molly 10w40. Pumped up the tyres to 3 bars to allow for several months of natural pressure loss.
Test drive was good, so hoping the cam system does not remember it's now due for a main service. Full Gates or ZF Sachs kit later this summer.

Surprised she who must be obeyed decided to get the car repaired after the door was forked up in a parking wars incident that the local boys in blue decided was the fault of the other team.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 01:18   #12562
canis
Non Fragile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
Full Gates or ZF Sachs kit
What is this please?
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 10:15   #12563
Haizum74
Master Member

Went for her MOT today, passed with 2 advisories for slightly corroded brake pipes on offside.

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 16:57   #12564
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canis View Post
What is this please?
Cam belt kit
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 19:32   #12565
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Fitted a new front antiroll bar drop link. I went for a lemforder part although it looks cheap in places we shall see if it lasts more than a few months!

At least I haven't got the rattling any more!

Oh and a word of advice. If tackling this job a small grinder with a cutting disc is essential. Maybe some mole grips and a nut splitter.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 20:00   #12566
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecabbage View Post
Fitted a new front antiroll bar drop link. I went for a lemforder part although it looks cheap in places we shall see if it lasts more than a few months!

Oh and a word of advice. If tackling this job a small grinder with a cutting disc is essential. Maybe some mole grips and a nut splitter.
No experience of Lemforder droplinks but, Meyle HD droplinks are the dog's danglies. I fitted a pair and 40,000mls later still good as new.
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 21:00   #12567
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

How long ago did you fit them? I've heard that Meyle have gone down hill in the last few years. All these companies have been bought up and the quality pared back until there is no distinguishing them.

Lemforder is part of the ZF group that owns TRW, Boge, Sachs.

TRW used to be a good part but I used a TRW bottom ball joint on a Merc 4x4 and I don't think it lasted 12 months. The boots are so thin they tear away from the collar. The mercedes original part lasted maybe 12-13 years (if it wasn't replaced during that time) and the boot was twice as thick and still intact with the failure due to corrosion of the metal where the boot seals.
I put two more TRW ball joints on as the vehicle as it is due for replacement (and I didn't know why it failed until I took it off). I did however put a plastic washer on to reduce the drag on the boot collar.

Anyway the point I wasn't making is that I don't think you can actually buy a decent quality aftermarket part any more.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 21:04   #12568
Haizum74
Master Member

Quote:

Heh, did mine not long back. A right pain in the arse and ended up buying an angle grinder just to get the fecking nuts off. I also made the mistake of jacking just one side of the car up which made it more difficult. Did both sides and much easier. Lemforder used too and so far no issues.

'08 V50 2.0D
Haizum74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 21:33   #12569
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
How long ago did you fit them? I've heard that Meyle have gone down hill in the last few years. All these companies have been bought up and the quality pared back until there is no distinguishing them.

Lemforder is part of the ZF group that owns TRW, Boge, Sachs.

TRW used to be a good part but I used a TRW bottom ball joint on a Merc 4x4 and I don't think it lasted 12 months. The boots are so thin they tear away from the collar. The mercedes original part lasted maybe 12-13 years (if it wasn't replaced during that time) and the boot was twice as thick and still intact with the failure due to corrosion of the metal where the boot seals.
I put two more TRW ball joints on as the vehicle as it is due for replacement (and I didn't know why it failed until I took it off). I did however put a plastic washer on to reduce the drag on the boot collar.

Anyway the point I wasn't making is that I don't think you can actually buy a decent quality aftermarket part any more.
Three years ago. they were heavy duty which are much, much beefier than the Volvo originals. I fitted some rear drop links 18 months ago and they were still excellent quality, also heavy duty.

I do agree quality seems to be getting poorer with everything - unfortunately price is everything.
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 23:15   #12570
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I think I've finally finished ebaying now and near enough everything is here, foglight bulbs as got one blown, front and rear drop links in preparation for the new suspension, towbar electrics backplate as I somehow managed to lose the one that came with the bar and an aeriel as I didn't have one, all that's left now is the brake pads as noticed the rears are really low and the fronts aren't much better.

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage