Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 51202

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 07:44   #611
J liddy

Default 940 TIC AUTO 1995 .300000 miles

Wow the engine bay is absolutely rust free from the photo how do you keep it so good or is it all new metal
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 09:24   #612
Dippydog
Premier Member

Seems to be some good progress there and it's coming along nicely.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 12:58   #613
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Excellent progress Tom!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 22:38   #614
Chris1Roll

Good work!
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 22:41   #615
volvo always
Premier Member

Great job. Interesting to follow progress. I wouldn't know, what went where.

James
volvo always is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvo always For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 02:10   #616
TomSaintJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by J liddy View Post
Wow the engine bay is absolutely rust free from the photo how do you keep it so good or is it all new metal
Cheers, Jim. Apart from a hole under the passenger footwell where it meets the chassis rail, it's a remarkably rust-free car, I imagine it was well looked after for its life in service though.
One or two areas would soon have become holes I think, I just about caught them as 'surface' rust.
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 02:30   #617
TomSaintJames

The next progress update happened a week after the engine-in day. Tristan lives close-ish to me and came back for another session, we spent most of the day organising and plugging wiring bits in.

We ended the day with everything significant plugged in, Tristan tackled the passengers side and I the drivers. We left the dashboard out and some of the associated wiring unplugged (radio, indicators, headlights etc) as, obviously, these will need to be plugged in after the dash goes in.

We made a quick trip to get oil and some fresh fuel before everywhere closed on the Sunday, went through and checked all the engine bits (checked the torque on the cam and crank puller bolts using Tristan's HAND MADE tool! He's a genius) and then tried to start it - no good! No crank at all. Tristan confirmed that 12v was at the starter feed, but not at the trigger/solenoid wire.
We did get a click, but it was relay 'J' which I believe is an overload relay that controls the electric windows and seat heaters (I feel like this is significant but I don't yet know why...)

Our next thought was the starter inhibitor switch, the loom came from an automatic car, so we plugged in the auto shifter we had and this made no difference, even wiggled in different positions. Time was getting on so we called it a day here and left things as below.

2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 04:31   #618
TomSaintJames

So things are not yet quite right, only some of the dash lights work, the HVAC doesn't work at all and obviously there is no crank. Last week I spent an hour or two here and there doing a few bits.

I bypassed the starter inhibitor switch. Initially I read that it was the blue and pink wires that needed bridging, but the blue wire was much smaller than the pink and when I checked the green book of wiring, it said that the pink and blue/green were the wires that made the circuit - so I bridged these.

No crank...

Luke phoned me one evening with some wisdom about the Volvoguard alarm, which might also be an issue. I had a set of fuel and EZK chips ages ago when I was still going to use the Penta 2.5 engine so Luke recommended that putting the fuel chip in will bypass the alarm amongst other good things. So I put my big boy pants on and put the chip in the ECU.

ECU innards

Standard

Removed. There is a notch in the chip housing that faces the LHS of the ECU and they must go in that way, if you zoom in you can just about see it here.

Modified chip installed

But also no crank.

Now I did something stupid, I broke the instrument cluster... There is a part of the PCB on the rear that is a fuse, in my ferreting around I must have touched the rear of the cluster onto the metal steering column supports and smoke happened. I plan to do something similar (but tidier) to the below to fix it, as there is currently no life in the cluster apart from the clock which I can hear ticking. I understand there is also a fuse behind a metal cover on the RHS looking at the back (behind the clock) - I will check this too.

I checked and cleaned all the connections on the alternator and starter but realised there was no earth from the alternator, the green book says that the starter earths through it's connection to the block (as in it is bolted to the block) but the alternator should have a wired earth to the block. I had a spare earth cable from when I replaced all the Saabs battery cables that was too short, so popped that on. Luke very helpfully sent me a photo of his alternator, I didn't put the earth in the factory position so will move it (not that I think it's current location would not work as an earth)

No crank...

I'm itching to attack it with a multimeter, I've been looking up how to approach it and will test the trigger wire at each junction from the key to the starter solenoid, the junction where 12v is not present will tell me where the problem is and hopefully I'll then be able to solve the problem.
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE

Last edited by TomSaintJames; Oct 7th, 2023 at 04:35.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 7th, 2023, 23:09   #619
Chris1Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
I'm itching to attack it with a multimeter, I've been looking up how to approach it and will test the trigger wire at each junction from the key to the starter solenoid, the junction where 12v is not present will tell me where the problem is and hopefully I'll then be able to solve the problem.
This is the way to go, of course.
However if you just want to hear it crank over, or maybe even start it, you can bridge the terminals on the starter with a screwdriver (or a stick with a nail in it)
With the key in pos 2, if everything else is in oder, it will start.

Note - it is essentialthat you make sure the car is definitely in P!
Embarrassing story I haven't relayed yet - outside work, no crank (but a relay click). Assuming sticky solenoid, I tapped solenoid with the wheel brace, still no crank but relay click. Key in pos 2, screwdriver across the terminals, fired right up. Cheer turned to mild panic as after a moment the car lurched backwards! I'd left it in R!!
Good job the handbrake works! Valuable lesson learned.
Chris1Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris1Roll For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 06:39   #620
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1Roll View Post
This is the way to go, of course.
However if you just want to hear it crank over, or maybe even start it, you can bridge the terminals on the starter with a screwdriver (or a stick with a nail in it)
With the key in pos 2, if everything else is in oder, it will start.

Note - it is essentialthat you make sure the car is definitely in P!
Embarrassing story I haven't relayed yet - outside work, no crank (but a relay click). Assuming sticky solenoid, I tapped solenoid with the wheel brace, still no crank but relay click. Key in pos 2, screwdriver across the terminals, fired right up. Cheer turned to mild panic as after a moment the car lurched backwards! I'd left it in R!!
Good job the handbrake works! Valuable lesson learned.
P! P! P! Good god sir this has a proper gearbox not an autotragic!
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: