Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Wiper Arms

Views : 979

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2020, 16:36   #1
volvobusman
busman

Default 940 Wiper Arms

Hi, does anyone know where I can get new wiper arms?, Skandix sell them but very expensive, cheers Andy.
volvobusman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvobusman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 18:38   #2
jpliddy
VOC Member

best try and find a breaker car but not sure if there are non genuine one out there . thought there should be something that fits . some one on here must know best place to get them .
keep us informed of progress !
jpliddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jpliddy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 19:17   #3
940volvoman
Master Member

Have they broken,then,Andy?Its worth getting blades with the wind spoiler,too

Shaun
940volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 940volvoman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 20:47   #4
deeman940
Master Member

Volvo still do them as fae as i know....
deeman940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deeman940 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 21:51   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Try your dealer first. Mine often surprises me with what they can still supply and at a competitive price. The more you use your local dealer parts department the better they know you and appreciate your custom, albeit slight compared to their overall turnover. The staff in my local dealer parts department are true gents.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2020, 23:01   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvobusman View Post
Hi, does anyone know where I can get new wiper arms?, Skandix sell them but very expensive, cheers Andy.
I'd also suggest your main dealer as the first port of call, might even find they're cheaper than Skandix.

Many dealers also recognise this forum and offer a discount for membership, depending on their attitude (and yours!) they may require you to be a fully-paid-up-card-carrying-member or just a "free" member on here but it's still nice to see that bit of discount applied.

If you're lucky, like many of us are on here, your local Volvo dealer will be an "old skool" dealer for whom nothing is too much trouble in terms of help, even if it's a 30p clip on a 32 year old car. Simple rule is don't be afraid to ask - as long as you're respectful to them they'll be a very useful ally in Volvo ownership.

Don't get me wrong, i also use pattern parts for a lot of stuff but certain things are worth getting from Volvo, wiper arms being one of them because they have the correct spring tension in the arms to make them work properly with the wiper blades and generally they're better quality than aftermarket stuff.

Had a quick look on ECP, doesn't appear they sell wiper arms for the 940, also looked on PFV, nothing there either!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2020, 11:35   #7
bob12
bob12

Ever seen a Europarts van at a Volvo main dealer ... sometimes there's a two way trade. Bob
bob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bob12 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 18:41   #8
volvobusman
busman

Smile

Hello everyone, thanks for the info, tried my local dealer but not listed anymore so see what I can do, mine aren't broken but a bit of wear in the pivot pin , getting a juddering mainly on the drivers side, new blades fitted, not much wear on the linkage but the old car is 30 yrs old now and some bits are past the sell by date, thanks again, be sure to pass on if I find any that fit, cheers Andy.
volvobusman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvobusman For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 20:29   #9
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvobusman View Post
Hello everyone, thanks for the info, tried my local dealer but not listed anymore so see what I can do, mine aren't broken but a bit of wear in the pivot pin , getting a juddering mainly on the drivers side, new blades fitted, not much wear on the linkage but the old car is 30 yrs old now and some bits are past the sell by date, thanks again, be sure to pass on if I find any that fit, cheers Andy.
Don't bother finding new arms, simply correct the twist in the wiper arms. You need a good pair of pliers to do it and only do it a bit at a time.

If the blade judders on the way up, grip the wiper arm near where the blade fits with the pliers, handles uppermost and twist the arm slightly towards the screen.
If it judders on the way down, same grip position but twist away from the screen.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 9th, 2020, 11:43   #10
monkeh
Pain in the backside

I am after a set too, Splines have stripped out on one side, If the screen gets drier than a moist paper towel, One arm decides to park half way up the screen!
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeh For This Useful Post: