Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What's the deal with... the 960?

Views : 956

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2020, 13:56   #1
taiwan740

Default What's the deal with... the 960?

Hi

I've got a 1995 960 mk2 3.0 (202,000 miles). I've had it for two years and it's been great! Done 16,000 miles in it already.

I've heard reports that it's not such a good car for others, heard it's not reliable and very complicated to fix if something goes wrong, although I've never had an issue with that.

Does the 960 have a reputation or is this fake news? Is there any common faults that one would expect to occur over 100,000 miles?

While we're at it, anyone with some serious mileage on one of these vehicles?

Ta
taiwan740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 14:35   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

I've a 1997 S90, 3 litre auto, so essentially the same vehicle. I've owned it for 2 years now, taking it from 88,000 to 120,000 miles in that time.

In that time I've changed the front wishbones (advised on the last MOT), the drop links, a headlapmp wiper motor, a front brake calliper, a little piece of dashboard trim around the light switches, a new battery and some tyres. Oh and I needed a new door mirror glass and motor a few weeks back. All of which seems pretty fair for a 23-year-old car that's in daily use.

By comparison our S70 in that same period has needed a new exhaust, new front struts, new rear shocks, four new tyres, and a door check strap or two - although to be fair it's a bit up on miles at 220,000 now.

I've never had a problem getting parts for the S90, and the car seems to run very well.

In their time yes, they were expensive beasts to own and run - about £30,000 to buy new I believe.

My only real concern about the car is the fuel consumption - low-to-mid twenties at best, 30mpg on a steady run.

I guess that if I ever needed interior trim then that might be an issue, and certainly the engine with it's 24 hydraulic valves wouldn't be the easiest of DIY fixes. Arguably the more straightforward redblock 940 would have the edge there. But I'm loving the smooth understated quality and elegance of the car, and it's a fantastic drive. If one day it does all go wrong then I guess I'll have to think again, but at the moment I'm just enjoying owning what is a very rare car now!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 14:51   #3
taiwan740

Yeah I'm just enjoying it as it is now, there will be a time where parts run out and I just can't fix it, but hopefully not soon, although it doesn't owe me anything, I paid £400 for it two years ago. It's far from mint, which suits me fine. It's a workhorse (although still in decent condition for its age I reckon). The rear nivomat shocks are worn out, i have replacements in the parts room, just its not bothering me that much yet. It gets a bit of a ribbing in the office by the older crowd (I'm 29) who think their german marque is the bees knees, but this doesn't bother me either.

I recently drove up to Scotland on a good run and it got 26.4mpg the whole way, which is pretty rubbish by todays standards, but i'm happy to pay the fuel as I can afford it and it beats being in debt to some insane leasing/finance deal personally.

Did not know it had hydraulic lifters - my engine does tick. Has clean oil. Oh well, see what happens.
The Following User Says Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 15:57   #4
capt jack
VOC Member

Sounds like you got a bargain. Even if you broek it for parts tomorrow you'd get your £400 back - and int he meantime you've had 2 years of bargain-price motoring, and in some style.

Ignore the workplace car-park jibes. Your 960 isn't costing you 500 per month in PCP or depreciation - and it's a far better car!

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to capt jack For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 16:20   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I have a few 960's both MK1 and MK2 versions. There are pros and cons to both.

The Down side of the 960 is the engine is harder to work on but you do not get silky smooth 6 cylinder power without having a little more complexity to the engine.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 17:59   #6
Estate87

I've got a '97 V90 and it's an awesome car. Not a missile but fast enough for todays traffic. BIG boot, comfy seats what more could you want. Who gives a monkeys what the people in the office say. My wife despises it but I'm not bothered. It's not her car. I'm 33 so don't really suit the type of stereotype that the car has but who bloody cares. The only thing I would say is it's a thirsty beast hey ho. You probably knew that before you brought it so I doubt that bothers you to much.
Estate87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estate87 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 18:36   #7
taiwan740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate87 View Post
Not a missile but fast enough for todays traffic.
Yeah I forgot to mention, mine's an estate.

I got close to getting rid of it a while ago in exchange for a Nissan 300ZX (non-turbo) cos I think they look awesome, but in basically every respect that matters to me, the 960 is the better car. Decided to keep it and save myself a few grand.

My main concern is finding something I like just as much when it does eventually go =( - I have a 940 as well which I'm very happy with (currently lacking alternator though - on backorder). Think I'll just save my cash and then fix whatever happens with it to be honest.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taiwan740 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 20:13   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
Did not know it had hydraulic lifters - my engine does tick. Has clean oil. Oh well, see what happens.
Add 0.5 - 1.0L of synthetic ATF (i know Carlube ATF-U works well) to the engine oil. It will sort your ticky tappets and give you some nice other benefits too.

Oh yeah, don't run it on cheap supermarket fuel either!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 22:45   #9
Estate87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Add 0.5 - 1.0L of synthetic ATF (i know Carlube ATF-U works well) to the engine oil. It will sort your ticky tappets and give you some nice other benefits too.

Oh yeah, don't run it on cheap supermarket fuel either!
Nice other benefits? Such as?

Cheers
Estate87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estate87 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 23:04   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estate87 View Post
Nice other benefits? Such as?

Cheers
Improved economy, compression, cleaner engine inside, cleaner emissions, revives weepy oil seals (not leaky), smoother running and so on.

Dip and analyse the oil in either of my beasts now and you'll find when i do the oil/filter changes, the first litre that goes in each time is ATF-U, topped up with 10W40 semi-synth.

One of my beasts has 24 valves with hydraulic tappets, the has 12 valves with soldi tappets but i use it in both.
Just found the emissions sheet from last years MoT on my other beast, CO 0.00% and HC 43ppm - that car is about to have it's 26th birthday. My 760 isn't much different, it's had the MoT tester hunting for a non-existenet cat more than once! That's 32 y/o with 226k on the clock, both cars are 90 degree V6s, non turbo

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: