Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1.9 TurboDiesel buying advice needed

Views : 1439

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 29th, 2009, 16:23   #1
ahal
Master Member

Question 1.9 TurboDiesel buying advice needed

Hi all,

My father had a wee 'off' in his 440 some time back and it's looking like replacement time. I have my eye on a 440 1.9 TD, going to have a look in the morning. Now I know nothing about Diesels whatsoever, apart from the following stunning technical insight: You can, um, drive in the wrong gear, and if they won't start from cold it could be an expenisve problem.

First off, are all of the 1.9 Diesels Volvo, or did they share these with the Renault 19? I'm nervous at the best of times when it comes to 'taking the plunge', but even more so when it comes to a variant which I'm not familiar with. Mileage, incidentally, is almost 150k. miles.

Thanks in advance,

Tony.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 22:26   #2
bvs
Blue TD

Hi Tony
I have just sold my 440 TD.
It is the 1870cc renault engine,so nice if the cambelt has been changed and it has some sort of service history.
Mine did 48-50mpg but I do a fair mileage,short distance driving might give closer to 45mpg.On a touring holiday in scotland last year (long distance 45-50mph country roads) she did 56mpg.
I would suggest that if you do buy it - keep the fuel gauge above the red sector as the TD seems to be prone to cutting out when down to the last 2 gallons ,that is of course if the fuel gauge works

edit PS Haynes do not do a manual for this car...so I used a petrol book + a haynes diesel engine manual (old) for the donk

regards baz

Last edited by bvs; Apr 29th, 2009 at 22:28.
bvs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bvs For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 23:16   #3
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up

Many thanks Baz, I appreciate the pointers. This car apparently has had one owner, and a FVSH. That's not the norm here for a 150k. car, but I'm guessing due to the dickie wheeltrims it was probably a Taxi. No doubt a closer inspection tomorrow will reveal two aerials!

That's interesting about the Haynes manual too ... then again, if the standard Haynes manuals of recent times are anything to go by I'll get over it :P

Thanks again,

Tony
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 23:33   #4
carl4u44
Master Member

Mine currently has 194000 on the clock and by far runs better than any 19td i've ever owned including 406's. A good service, belts and heater plugs will ensure a healthy motor! Like always with these...electrics and oil leaks...but then again they can be easily fixed.
carl4u44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carl4u44 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 00:11   #5
ahal
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl4u44 View Post
Mine currently has 194000 on the clock
That's impressive by any yardstick. Lol ... I'm looking at a low mileage one so!
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 12:03   #6
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

If you're gonna buy a 440, 1.9TD, it's a good choice. It's a very fuel efficient car & quite fast for an old diesel.
You should choose a car with at least 1995 year of fabrication; and at most 100k miles on the road.
Somewhere after 150k miles, you can have some trouble with the turbo, clutch, AC & servo.
Check for oil leakage on turbo, engine camshaft & at the power steering.

Good luck!
Adi2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 12:27   #7
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up

Many thanks,

I'm going looking soon. The guy is looking for E650 for it, which is a joke anyway imho. There will be some red faces, some enthusiastic debate, and lots of staring at the ground ( by him! ). In other words, I'm going to bargain like my Granny, and people used to run when they saw her coming!

That's interesting about the leaks. The car which my father had ( destroyed ) was newer, with 80,000 miles, and leaked oil all over the place. I usually run from mileage like 150k., but having seen his last car, I think if it has been well looked after I will take a chance ( at a much lower price ).

Believe it or not, Diesel was dearer than petrol in Ireland the last time I checked. Crazy!

Regards,

Tony
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 15:19   #8
bvs
Blue TD

Hi Tony
If you do get it-very important to make sure fuel filter is changed ,best to do it yourself,'full service history' is only as good as the guy with the stamp.
Oil/filter change every 5000 miles,I only change my air filters at MOT time nowadays unless they are really bad when I buy the car.
You should be able to get it cheap,440's dont seem too sought after.

cheers baz
Old May 1st, 2009, 21:31   #9
ahal
Master Member

Wink

Thanks Baz,

Unfortunately it all turned out to be a bit of a damp squib! Faults were as follows: dashboard improperly refitted ( loose ), lots of blue smoke and the worst rattle I've ever heard in my life. Now I know some diesels make a bit of noise, but this was crazy!

It's a real pity, because the bodywork was perfect. It also didn't 'sit' right - the wheels were splayed. I guess deep down it's a car I was hunting for myself ( supposed to be for my father lol ). Someday I want either a 2.0 Turbo or 1.9 TD.

I've had long experience of the petrol 440 ( 1.8 ) and it really is a close to my idea of a perfect car as it gets. I'm thinking the bit of extra power would be perfect with a cherry on top! I love the way the 440 looks so ordinary too.

I think I'd be better off sniffing around the U.K. for one. There aren't that many of them here, and obviously I was looking at ex-taxi trash.

Thanks for all of your advice, it won't be wasted!!!

Regards,

Tony
Old May 2nd, 2009, 05:41   #10
bvs
Blue TD

Hi Tony
For future reference... Blue smoke on start up - if accompanied by rough idle and clears within approx 10 seconds could just be fecked glow plugs (or no power to them).
The 1870 renault engine is very noisy when cold and it is best to do about 10 miles then lift the bonnet and listen to the idle.On initial start up I almost didnt buy mine because of the racket,but luckily took it for a drive - by the time we got back - the engine sounded quite sweet .
Glow plugs are easy to change on 440.

cheers baz