Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Full wheel alignment

Views : 1132

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 14th, 2014, 13:54   #1
DannyG

Default Full wheel alignment

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a really good wheel alignment place in the Manchester area? Looking for ones that have good rep (from personal experience) and are good at diagnosing niggly issues with steering, uneven tyre wear etc?!

Any info appreciated!

Danny
DannyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 14:58   #2
msh

Hi Danny

Cant help with wheel alignment but what's the problem we might be able to help
Maqrk
msh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 16:26   #3
DannyG

I've posted about this issue previously... but basically I'm getting uneven tyre wear on the near side front and back, the inside edge of the tyre wears more than the outer. It also pulls to the left, has alot of wandering on the front end, so I'm making small corrections to the steering alot.

The front tracking has been checked but only at a local tyre place, they also checked for movement in the bushes, drop links etc and couldn't find anything glaringly obvious, so thought i'd get a full, professional, 4 wheel alignment done.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 17:21   #4
cheshired5
Premier Member

Parked up with your steering wheel 100% dead straight, can you see any toe in or out misalignment when viewing the car from the front?
Anything that causes a pull can often be spotted with the naked eye.
Inside tyre wear can suggest the camber hasn't been set right after a shock/strut change or even straddling those square speed humps.
Does the bottom of the tyre stick out more than the top?
It's easy to tell with a piece of string with a weight on the end.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 20:37   #5
jeffmasson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyG View Post
I've posted about this issue previously... but basically I'm getting uneven tyre wear on the near side front and back, the inside edge of the tyre wears more than the outer. It also pulls to the left, has alot of wandering on the front end, so I'm making small corrections to the steering alot.

The front tracking has been checked but only at a local tyre place, they also checked for movement in the bushes, drop links etc and couldn't find anything glaringly obvious, so thought i'd get a full, professional, 4 wheel alignment done.
Mine has wear on both rear tyres on the inside edges I read on a few forum post that it's due to the large tolerance for camber allowed by the factory and it can't be adjusted without aftermarket parts. As for pulling to the left dose it still pull to the left if you drive on the wrong side of the road? As all roads have a curve to make rain water run to the sides so all cars will pull to the left but the v50 dose seem to show this more than other cars I have driven not sure why.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 09:32   #6
DannyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Parked up with your steering wheel 100% dead straight, can you see any toe in or out misalignment when viewing the car from the front?
Anything that causes a pull can often be spotted with the naked eye.
Inside tyre wear can suggest the camber hasn't been set right after a shock/strut change or even straddling those square speed humps.
Does the bottom of the tyre stick out more than the top?
It's easy to tell with a piece of string with a weight on the end.
I haven't checked for that yet, good suggestion though and I'll give it a try when the missus comes home!
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 09:38   #7
DannyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmasson View Post
Mine has wear on both rear tyres on the inside edges I read on a few forum post that it's due to the large tolerance for camber allowed by the factory and it can't be adjusted without aftermarket parts. As for pulling to the left dose it still pull to the left if you drive on the wrong side of the road? As all roads have a curve to make rain water run to the sides so all cars will pull to the left but the v50 dose seem to show this more than other cars I have driven not sure why.
I notice that when I do get to a part of the road with the natural camber, the steering wheel pulls drastically to the left, I notice this say when coming to a roundabout on a normal road, in the left hand lane.

If I'm on the motorway, in the middle lane, then it still pulls to the left.

I've had 2 tyres fitted to the front recently to pass it's MOT and due to spending over £600 on a new clutch and fly wheel a couple of week ago, I've had to put some temporary good part worns on, and this seems to have stopped the pulling to the left.

Only thing I can think is they're both different makes on the front, whereas I've always had ContiSports on the front previously, ie 2 of the same.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 10:15   #8
theRsole

I've just had bushes/wishbones/shock absorbers replaced and it's pulling to the left - I'm getting four wheel alignment done today, will report back once it's done...
theRsole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to theRsole For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 11:33   #9
Welton
Premier Member

I can only recommend you find a place with a Hunters alignment machine, it uses cameras and the operator can set the suspension accurately.

These cars are *very* sensitive to wheel alignment and once corrected they are a joy to drive on the motorways.

Expect to pay £50.00 for a hunters 4-wheel service.

More reading: http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=144655
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2014, 11:21   #10
theRsole

Quote:
Originally Posted by theRsole View Post
I've just had bushes/wishbones/shock absorbers replaced and it's pulling to the left - I'm getting four wheel alignment done today, will report back once it's done...
annoyingly didn't happen as I discovered something slightly bent under there so need to get that replaced first! but booked in again for next week!
theRsole is offline   Reply With Quote