Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 subframe

Views : 479

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 22nd, 2022, 19:16   #1
v_forty

Default C30 subframe

Just completed an oil change on the C30 and there's a fair bit of surface corrosion on the subframe. Mine gets though a fair few miles all year round in all weather, its obviously only going to get worse over time.

What are peoples thoughts on...
a) leave it as is and hope for the best
b) a good clean and coating of waxoil or similar
c) have it removed and powder coated - I won't be able to do this myself as limited drive space, not sure if this would be massively expensive

Very fond of the car which is in good condition and extremely comfortable to drive, wouldn't like to see this come up on a future MOT.
v_forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 09:42   #2
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile options

Hello..

I guess option (c) is the best but could be pretty costly if someone else is
removing / reinstalling the subframe, sand blasting and then powder coating would give you a nice result that would outlast the car most likely, although rust on subframes i suspect is not a common MOT fail on volvos, wishbone rubber bushes are much more likely to fail (had that on a C30 and at least they are fairly easy to replace). Or if your likely to be doing other major work
like clutch or suspension stuff then maybe have the subframe out then?

Other options would be use a wirebrush in a cordless drill to get rid of most of the rust then use something like kurust, and then hammerite metal paint (have used both recently on suspension parts, but only time will tell how long this holds out if rust is well developed.. is the top side of the subframe rusting? or just the underside from road debris?

Waxoyl and ACF50 spray on type inhibitors probably another quick ish to apply but best to avoid spraying the exhaust and other parts that dont need it ! im not sure how well these cope when rust is already underway but suspect someone on here has some knowledge of that..

well thats my 2 penneths !

Last edited by Thassos; Feb 6th, 2022 at 09:52.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post: