Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nasty experience at LPG station

Views : 1740

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2014, 08:25   #1
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default Nasty experience at LPG station

Last night when I tried to fill up at my usual station I connected the nozzle to the filler and there was a spray of liquid LPG everywhere which didn't stop. I uncoupled quickly, but the nozzle continued to gush fuel for several seconds At that moment the attendant rushed up and said that the pump was out of order, they were waiting for someone to come and fix it.

Fortunately none of liquid went in my face, but my hand took the brunt. It felt frozen for some minutes, but quickly recovered. Now it is red and a little swollen, and has a slight pins and needles feel. One finger is still a bit numb.

There was no warning notice on the pump display or the nozzle, but the lights were not on. I had not noticed that in the dark, pouring rain, and dazzle of other lights.

What was going on there? There seemed to be two faults:
1) the nozzle was not sealing on the filler, but sprayed liquid even when clamped on
2) liquid was able to flow through the pump and filler hose despite the machine being turned off.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 09:28   #2
migrator
Aye - him again

Does the station have an 'incident book'? If so make sure that there is an entry for this event.

If there really was no sign indicating that the LPG pump should not be used how about an approach to Health and Safety with claim for your pain?

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 12:36   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

I'm not so concerned about the pain - it's eased now.

I'm more interested in knowing how this can happen. I thought LPG systems were pretty much fail-safe. How can LPG pass from the storage tank through the pump and metring systems even though the unit was switched off? It's like walking into a closed petrol station and picking up a pump nozzle and just spraying a burst of petrol around.
Doesn't the cashier have to activate a pump? And what would cause the seal on the nozzle to fail at the same time?
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 12:56   #4
Grumpywurzel
Gert Navy Bouy

Surely it wasn't turned off, obviously they had a fault with the pump. The Attendant MUST of activated the pump out of habbit forgetting there was a fault. You cannot just walk up to the pump and use it anyway.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 22:00   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The diaphragm in the pump is what seals the gas flow off to the gun as well as pumping when running. If the diaphragm had failed then that would explain the continual flow.

You can get nasty burns, make sure you do something to treat the burn
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 22:40   #6
volvoid
Monster Raving Loony

this could have been be very nasty, liquid propane is very cold and can give serious burns (heat flowing out of body gives a cold burn). You need to tell HSE and local council - one of them will have to investigate. I'd have called the police too.
volvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 00:45   #7
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Just out of interest, was it the garage between Aberystwyth and Aberaeron? I can't remember the precise location... If it is, I had issues with them, the nozzle was faulty and didn't vent pressure on release, spraying lpg into my face and causing a burn to my hand, also propelling the nozzle off into my shin. After reporting it, they did nothing TWICE!

'09 XC70 SE - 2" lift, D5 225bhp, poverty spec
'18 V60 Twin Engine R Design - 290bhp

monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 08:24   #8
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeh View Post
Just out of interest, was it the garage between Aberystwyth and Aberaeron?

Yes, that's the one. I use it twice a week, as it's the only LPG place on my daily commute to Aberystwyth. I didn't realise they had a "previous" - I might report it knowing that.
On the other hand if I fall out with them I'll have nowhere else to go conveniently.

It was definitely off - the lights were not on, so I don't think the attendant can have activated it.

It was fixed the next day - I refilled yesterday evening in some trepidation, but all was well. It had a brand new nozzle, I don't know what else. Presumably the diaphragm, as Classicswede explains.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 12:30   #9
monkeh
Pain in the backside

Well I'm glad to see they finally did something, I thought something was amiss when releasing the lever and it didn't vent pressure, when it happened the second time I kicked the filler off the car, and pretty much read the riot act voting never to return.
it's a shame that Tanygroes isn't getting lpg back, nearest in t'other direction is just out of range of a full tank!
Yes, I would report it, I had a blue V70, the first time with a gassy face and a burnt hand, the second time the poor cashier had both barrels, and this was with a 2 week window, so they had plenty of time to repair it.

'09 XC70 SE - 2" lift, D5 225bhp, poverty spec
'18 V60 Twin Engine R Design - 290bhp

Last edited by monkeh; Jan 15th, 2014 at 12:33.
monkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 21:43   #10
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Firstly go see your doc and get the cold burn dressed to prevent infection. Then ask the doc for a letter describing the burn before you go visit the fuel station.
It would help if you had a witness or pics of the pump taken at the time, but I would try a claim anyway. The local small claims courts work fairly well in the UK, BUT remember a judge want facts not opinions, so letters and pics work better than verbal accounts.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote