Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024230

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2020, 15:25   #2071
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Edwin View Post
Hello. I guess you have 15" wheele. I have four new never used Continental directional 15" winter tyres, and a non-directional one to be a spare. I've given up getting them fitted due to my age and health &c.

I am going to sell them. Very reluctantly. The problems for a buyer would be distance I'm in Thurrock, cost of fitting a forum member told me over £30 per tyre, and, I can't be very quick to deal with things.

Luke if interested please contact me. And I will of course check the tyres' profile.

I don't want to hijack this thread Royal Czar. I'll open a sale thread in time.

95 65R 15
91T
Continental TS860

Quality winter tyres. Slipped down the reviews a little now but still recommended. Replaced by TS870 and so forth.

I will take these tyres in to their own thread. As is right and proper.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 06:25   #2072
Othen
Premier Member

Default AW71 Drive Plate

Many thanks for doing that research in the 700 section regarding the B21a/AW71 interface, I've cut and pasted it here so when I'm trying to find it next spring I stand a good chance of doing so:

Researched as promised Alan :

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/p...4/6842013.html

Scroll down and click the "What this fits" tab - you will get a long list of 240, 740, 760, 940 & 960 models that it fits. Anything up to ~1986 will be B2xX, after will be B2x0X where x is the second digit of the engine size in dl (eg 21 is 2.1L, 23 is 2.3L) and X is the suffix A, E, F etc.

Short version is your existing driveplate/flexplate will be fine to bolt the TC onto.

Alan
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 08:49   #2073
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

A little bit cheeky i know Alan but i know Loki the GLT follows this thread and i promised him some time ago i'd keep an eye out for a Slant Four for him. During my late night stumbling around ebay last night as discussed in another thread, i found this one he may be interested in :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...O/254783292103

Probably one of the best and certainly the nicest colour scheme for that model, i'd question the originality though as i'm sure the GLS had the twin-carb set-up and that one is a single carb. Possibly converted to get rid of the auto-choke that some of them had and/or economy reasons although the one i had (basic VX 2300) actually improved the economy when i fitted twin-carbs to it as well as unleashing an extra 30bhp.

That said, if i win the lottery tonight, i'll be throwing a stupid bid in!

Apologies for being cheeky and posting this in your RB thread but i hope you understand!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 09:57   #2074
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A little bit cheeky i know Alan but i know Loki the GLT follows this thread and i promised him some time ago i'd keep an eye out for a Slant Four for him. During my late night stumbling around ebay last night as discussed in another thread, i found this one he may be interested in :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAUXHALL-...O/254783292103

Probably one of the best and certainly the nicest colour scheme for that model, i'd question the originality though as i'm sure the GLS had the twin-carb set-up and that one is a single carb. Possibly converted to get rid of the auto-choke that some of them had and/or economy reasons although the one i had (basic VX 2300) actually improved the economy when i fitted twin-carbs to it as well as unleashing an extra 30bhp.

That said, if i win the lottery tonight, i'll be throwing a stupid bid in!

Apologies for being cheeky and posting this in your RB thread but i hope you understand!
... not at all, that is a very tasteful motor car (fantastic vinyl roof).

Last edited by Othen; Nov 25th, 2020 at 10:01.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 11:02   #2075
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The vinyl roof was standard on the GLS as were a number of other features including the twin square headlamps, front fog lamps below the bumper combined with the indicators, PAS, nicer trim and so on.

I believe it also had a unique range of paint colours for the GLS only but might be wrong on that.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 15:47   #2076
Othen
Premier Member

Default Pholus Wheels (continued)

The final page of the Pholus wheels chapter.

I collected the wheels with their winter tyres fitted this afternoon. I was happy to see they are serious, directional treads, two left and two right of course:

I took the opportunity to check everything over whilst each wheel was off; a PO has spent good money fitting these 20mm track extenders to the rear:

There were no fitting or clearance problems:

I'm pleased to say the Pholus wheels look (in my humble opinion) absolutely fantastic on the car:

... and from the other side:

I took the RB for a short test drive, it is a miserable old day here, probably about 6C and drizzly rain has left the roads quite greasy. It was no significant test but I'm pleased to say the winter tyres are no noisier than the summer ones, grip seems to be very good and there are no wobbles or shakes, so the wheels are fine.

I took half an hour to give the Virgo wheels a thorough scrub up with degreaser and the pressure washer - I think that is an additional bonus of swapping between winter and summer tyres: everything gets a good clean and inspection twice per year. The Virgos came up really well (they are powder coated) and are safely chained up in storage in my dry but well ventilated motorbike shed.

I'm really happy with this chapter of the RB saga. The Pholus wheels were only £30, plus another £30 for primer, paint and putty and £180 for the tyres - so £240 total. A bargain I think for a set of smart winter wheels that will be safer in the poor weather and will double the life of my Virgo wheels and summer tyres.

I think the Pholus wheels really suit the RB, a bit bling but entirely in keeping with the saloon car image. Which do I prefer, the Pholus or Virgo wheels? That is a difficult question, they I think they both look really good on the RB, but fortunately I don't have to choose because they have summer and winter boots, so I'll use both sets every year.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Nov 25th, 2020 at 15:51. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 16:07   #2077
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The final page of the Pholus wheels chapter.

I collected the wheels with their winter tyres fitted this afternoon. I was happy to see they are serious, directional treads, two left and two right of course:

I took the opportunity to check everything over whilst each wheel was off; a PO has spent good money fitting these 20mm track extenders to the rear:

There were no fitting or clearance problems:

I'm pleased to say the Pholus wheels look (in my humble opinion) absolutely fantastic on the car:

... and from the other side:

I took the RB for a short test drive, it is a miserable old day here, probably about 6C and drizzly rain has left the roads quite greasy. It was no significant test but I'm pleased to say the winter tyres are no noisier than the summer ones, grip seems to be very good and there are no wobbles or shakes, so the wheels are fine.

I took half an hour to give the Virgo wheels a thorough scrub up with degreaser and the pressure washer - I think that is an additional bonus of swapping between winter and summer tyres: everything gets a good clean and inspection twice per year. The Virgos came up really well (they are powder coated) and are safely chained up in storage in my dry but well ventilated motorbike shed.

I'm really happy with this chapter of the RB saga. The Pholus wheels were only £30, plus another £30 for primer, paint and putty and £180 for the tyres - so £240 total. A bargain I think for a set of smart winter wheels that will be safer in the poor weather and will double the life of my Virgo wheels and summer tyres.

I think the Pholus wheels really suit the RB, a bit bling but entirely in keeping with the saloon car image. Which do I prefer, the Pholus or Virgo wheels? That is a difficult question, they I think they both look really good on the RB, but fortunately I don't have to choose because they have summer and winter boots, so I'll use both sets every year.

:-)
They look even better than i thought they would Alan!

I'd go for "Option e" that i suggested further up the thread and use the Pholus in summer as i think they look really nice on the car.

The Virgos have enough bling with a slightly sober note for winter but the Pholus' say "drive me" which is more of a summer thing.

Old Nov 25th, 2020, 16:16   #2078
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
They look even better than i thought they would Alan!

I'd go for "Option e" that i suggested further up the thread and use the Pholus in summer as i think they look really nice on the car.

The Virgos have enough bling with a slightly sober note for winter but the Pholus' say "drive me" which is more of a summer thing.
Thank you for that vote of confidence Dave; I'm over the moon with the Pholus wheels, they did indeed come up better than I had expected. I also enjoyed the work and have learned a few small skills.

You may well be right about 'option e', I sort of agree the Pholus wheels would look very smart in the summer, and perhaps the powder coated, anthracite coloured Virgos would look better in the winter. I'm going to have a season of each and may well have them swapped over this time next year. Having developed a good relationship with F1 Autocentre here in Corby I suspect they might swap the tyres they supplied over for the price of a drink or two.

As you may have guessed, I am absolutely delighted with this chapter of the RB saga. I'm very grateful to Luke for the wheels and to yourself for the advice Dave.
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 17:02   #2079
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The vinyl roof was standard on the GLS as were a number of other features including the twin square headlamps, front fog lamps below the bumper combined with the indicators, PAS, nicer trim and so on.

I believe it also had a unique range of paint colours for the GLS only but might be wrong on that.
That vinyl roof really has taken my fancy Dave, maybe in black - I think it was John that suggested it some time ago and it had slipped my mind to follow it up. A good job for the spring I think.

Alan
Old Nov 25th, 2020, 18:14   #2080
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you for that vote of confidence Dave; I'm over the moon with the Pholus wheels, they did indeed come up better than I had expected. I also enjoyed the work and have learned a few small skills.

You may well be right about 'option e', I sort of agree the Pholus wheels would look very smart in the summer, and perhaps the powder coated, anthracite coloured Virgos would look better in the winter. I'm going to have a season of each and may well have them swapped over this time next year. Having developed a good relationship with F1 Autocentre here in Corby I suspect they might swap the tyres they supplied over for the price of a drink or two.

As you may have guessed, I am absolutely delighted with this chapter of the RB saga. I'm very grateful to Luke for the wheels and to yourself for the advice Dave.

I had a feeling you'd like them more once they were on with tyres Alan, they grew on me from when i first saw them. For me that was on a 940 in a photo (here, ebay - somewhere!) but the ones i really like for my 760 are the Aries wheel. I think they'd look too "fussy" on a 240 and i think the Pholus look a little plain on the 7/9xx cars but look absolutely spot on on the RB.

It's all about aesthetic balance for me, sometimes that can be matching a plain sort of body with a plain but nice wheel, more often than not for my taste it's a contrast, a plain but nice body with a "fussy" wheel, the razor-edge styling of the 240 matched to something a bit curvy (Pholus) or something similarly razor-edged like the Virgos - you get the general idea.

As for the advice, you're very welcome and glad it helped!

Quote:
That vinyl roof really has taken my fancy Dave, maybe in black - I think it was John that suggested it some time ago and it had slipped my mind to follow it up. A good job for the spring I think.

Alan
I have a feeling both John and I suggested a vinyl roof, i'm fairly sure i suggested a black vinyl roof and from memory (which might be wrong) i think John suggested the same. I expect he'll be along soon to tell us we've both lost our marbles and he suggested nothing of the sort!