Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026533

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 21st, 2020, 12:45   #2141
heckflosse
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Definitely an A35, Alan; the OE flashers are another giveaway. Inside, you will find a short remote gear lever - the A30 had a long wand that made changing gear resemble locating a sixpence in the bottom of a bucket of treacle with a stick of well-cooked rhubarb!

I had a rare factory pick-up version (would have been worth a bit today) which was a little belter with a reworked head, improved carburation and scavenging. Room for only one passenger, but I transported many an engine etc. in the back for folk.

While the 803cc of the A30, even when new, was never endowed with any great power, the 948 of the A35 represented, for the time, a considerable improvement. Performance, if desired, could be easily further improved, as 'L.S.' said earlier, by fitting a 1098 or even a later 1275cc engine, Fortuitously, brakes and handling could be equally easily improved to rein in that increased performance when required. I think that the wheels on your neighbour's car may be such an example?

Regards, John.
I learned to drive on an A30. the poor visibility, invisible trafficators, almost criminal lack of brakes and scarily modest performance are all fondly remembered. Mine had a 948 with the original gearbox.On crossplies. In true BMC fashion ratios were roughly three firsts and top. Compare it to a modern 1990s kids learner car and they are light years apart.
As for 240s, well, dead easy to drive in any weather.

Last edited by heckflosse; Dec 21st, 2020 at 12:48.
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 13:46   #2142
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Always sad to see dead rainbows laying under the car Alan!

More reasons to use a car are always good as well, as for the tickover don't forget the first half of the choke button travel only increases the idle speed, the second half actually enriches the mixture so you could always use that fcility to bring the idle speed a little if needs be without aadjusting anything.
Yes indeed Dave. I quite like that feature of the manual choke, that I can leave it on just a smidgeon knowing it is not affecting the mixture but also secure that it will not stall at a junction in the first mile or so of running. It is really simple but effective engineering that I quite admire :-)
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 18:01   #2143
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Yes indeed Dave. I quite like that feature of the manual choke, that I can leave it on just a smidgeon knowing it is not affecting the mixture but also secure that it will not stall at a junction in the first mile or so of running. It is really simple but effective engineering that I quite admire :-)
I totally agree on that Alan and quite often miss that facility on both of my fuel injected beasties. That said, on my Rover it not only has an EICV (Electronic Idle Control valve) but also a coolant temperature controlled idle valve so that despite being coolant heated, if the ambient air temperature is cold enough to cool it somewhat it raises the idle a little. It also provides extra air for cold starts in cases where the EICV doesn't have a large enough range of adjustment.

Simple meets complex engineering in unison and usually work well together - until it becomes low on coolant and then the idle quality goes to pot, hunting like a blind fly in a cowshed..........

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 12:45   #2144
Othen
Premier Member

Default Xmas came early...

:-)
I've just acquired this:

... and best of all free of charge!
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 14:20   #2145
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Perfect timing Alan! Just in time for you to strip it, clean it, check the seals etc, renew the fluid and paint it before reassembling!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 15:46   #2146
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Perfect timing Alan! Just in time for you to strip it, clean it, check the seals etc, renew the fluid and paint it before reassembling!
Wonderful. Do you mean the hoist or the B21a?
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 16:52   #2147
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Wonderful. Do you mean the hoist or the B21a?
The hoist/crane. Given you have no real idea of its history it would be wise to inspect all parts before putting it in to service, last thing you'd want when pulling the engine and box out to fit the AW70 is for the seals to die and drop the engine and box on the front of the car!

Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 16:53   #2148
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
I've just acquired this:.....

... and best of all free of charge!

Kushti.

Will you be loaning it out p&p paid ........

Comrade Stephen Edwin
Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 17:09   #2149
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The hoist/crane. Given you have no real idea of its history it would be wise to inspect all parts before putting it in to service, last thing you'd want when pulling the engine and box out to fit the AW70 is for the seals to die and drop the engine and box on the front of the car!
I knew you meant that Dave, I was just being a bit cute because I'm really pleased with the hoist. It has spent its life inside a factory and appears to be little used. It would not be a bad idea to check it over and tidy it up though. The factory is closed until after the holidays now, so I'll take my trailer down and collect it (with a load of other stuff that will otherwise be going to scrap) on 5 Jan. At the least it will be worth changing the fluid and lubricating all the joints.

... now I might have to look on eBay for a car that needs an engine change!

Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 17:18   #2150
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
... now I might have to look on eBay for a car that needs an engine change!

Oooooo-errrrrrrrrrr! We've created a monster!

Are you thinking of buying a car with a duff engine, sourcing a replacement and fitting it then selling it on?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: