Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reverse lights stuck on

Views : 4693

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 8th, 2010, 17:15   #1
keithrg

Default Reverse lights stuck on

Was hopeing bulbs was the issue when reverse lights where not working but found no bulbs fitted. I fitted bulbs and they lit straight up even with the car in 1st.
1 It could be crossed wire, Two the gearbox switch stuck, three, stuck relay.
Have taped them over for now and use hazards whilst reversing.
Any pointers as to where to start looking for fault appriciated.
Might chuck in a manaul switch tomorrow as a tempary measure.

thanks
keithrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 18:22   #2
4 forty
VOC Member

Default reverse switch

as you have given no indication as to the year and engine size of your car, there are two different gearboxes the m56 is the cable operated one and has the reverse light switch on the top, visable just under the air filter housing,the others have the switch on the bottom of the gearbox, check that the contact is not stuck in the on position due to dirt.
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 forty For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 8th, 2010, 23:27   #3
keithrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 forty View Post
as you have given no indication as to the year and engine size of your car, there are two different gearboxes the m56 is the cable operated one and has the reverse light switch on the top, visable just under the air filter housing,the others have the switch on the bottom of the gearbox, check that the contact is not stuck in the on position due to dirt.
Its a manaul 1996 13 engine 1.8i v40i
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 09:27   #4
4 forty
VOC Member

Default switch

your switch should be on the bottom of the gearbox, check the wiring to the switch has not been damaged causing it to stay on, detach the conectors on the switch, if the reverse light goes out, it is a faulty switch
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 forty For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 10:23   #5
keithrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 forty View Post
your switch should be on the bottom of the gearbox, check the wiring to the switch has not been damaged causing it to stay on, detach the conectors on the switch, if the reverse light goes out, it is a faulty switch
Just need it to stop raining and dry up know
Old Nov 9th, 2010, 17:48   #6
Thassos
GoldMember

Default My experience of the same

Hi Keith,

4 forty is right, its a switch on the gearbox on manual cars, i had to replace mine on my old S40 2.0T , as i recall the switch has a pip on the end that is moved by something in the gearbox selector area. Mine had worn down on the switch end so the reversing lights wouldnt come on. Good luck with that, as 4 forty says best to unplug, or perhaps test with a link across the switch terminals before un screwing the gearbox switch.
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thassos For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 06:58   #7
Volvon
Master Member

Rather than tape them up there is a fuse just for the reverse lights in the divers footwell fusebox. Simply remove this and it will disable the lights until you can fix the problem.

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvon For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 09:58   #8
keithrg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyvää View Post
Rather than tape them up there is a fuse just for the reverse lights in the divers footwell fusebox. Simply remove this and it will disable the lights until you can fix the problem.
Ive removed the bulbs. As if the lenses are shown and the lights dont work its a fixed penalty notice from plod, not to mention in an accident if it happened would complicate matters. cheers though Uk legislation.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 15:36   #9
keithrg

Its the switch unplugged it they went out. Wires all look good. Operated switch manaully and it moved but lights stayed on. Thanks all. It was a bugger to undo.
Old Nov 10th, 2010, 15:40   #10
Volvon
Master Member

The reverse lights aren't a part of the MOT so by rights you never need fix them. But of course it's an annoyance and slightly dangerous in supermarket car parks if they don't work.

Mine passed the MOT without Reverse Lights, I have the opposite problem as in they hardly work, for some reason the fuse keeps blowing although its only every few weeks which I can live with. Though in a few months when I convert the car from Uk to Finnish I have a feeling their version of MOT will be more stringent.

Volvon is offline   Reply With Quote