Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

is this etm fault

Views : 8281

Replies : 49

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 21:34   #11
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

Mines done it for almost a year now. Its as if it's suddenly gonna cut out, but dosn't. Obviously a very common thing with them.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 22:11   #12
richard s

cheers guys i will see if i can get the codes read and i will keep an eye on it and see if it starts doing it more
the aircon was off when it has been happening
and cleaning the carbon off what am i cleaning it from i havnt had a look at the engine properly to see where things are (i take it ecm is throttle body as thats what it looks like on the link but why is it on the front of the engine instead of on the inlet manifold)
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 22:18   #13
mikealder
VOC Member

On a turbo engine the ETM is tucked away directly under the inlet manifold, it is possible to see it when you look between the gap aft of the radiator, not too easy to remove on these models to be honest due to restricted access - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 01:04   #14
richard s

cheers mike
if its a pain i think i will see how it behaves for a few more weeks before i think about removing it to clean it
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 08:51   #15
Rossi-fan
Premier Member

It probably won't get any worse, mine does it a couple of times a week maybe, it hasn't got any worse in the year i've had it, and its never actually cut out. If you do need to find out what it is for your own peace of mind Richard, let us know what it is.
Rossi-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 20:25   #16
richard s

if it gets on my nerves and i give it a clean i will you all know the results
Old Apr 19th, 2011, 11:42   #17
Ianfromnotts

sounds very similar to what i was experiencing the other day, I carefully removed the MAF sensor and sprayed no residue contact cleaner on it then let it dry, repeated the spray dry cycle twice more and put it back. worked wonders for me.

Cleaner was about £3 from maplins and it took about 20 mins all in - drying time being the major time issuse. Need to take care though as the wires in the MAF are very thin and its a £150 part if they get damaged.

For the time and effort involved I would think it is worth a try
Ianfromnotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2011, 21:39   #18
richard s

the long weekend that is coming up i am taking the etm off for a clean as it is still doing it quite regularly and the other day i had a reduced engine performance message when i started the car.
as for getting codes read i dont think i will have time to find anywhere to get it done due to work so does anyone know if the cheap generic readers that are on ebay work with this car. i have seen only certain expensive readers will clear the codes but if i could get a reader that tells me what codes i have it could be quite usefull.
cheers
Old Apr 26th, 2011, 21:59   #19
richard s

im now thinking i may have a bosch etm on my car as i was trying to find a sticker and couldnt see one.today i have seen pictures on another forum of both etms together and i think mine is like the bosch one as i remember mine having a rounded shaped plastic cover if looking under the manifold from the airbox end
Old May 2nd, 2011, 00:55   #20
richard s

i have had a look at the etm with a torch and it is definately a bosch unit so i havn't removed it for a clean but i have cleaned the afm as per ianfromnotts recomendation. i havn't driven the car much yet but will report back the results