Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crank Shaft Nut Removal D5 Auto

Views : 4696

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2015, 17:00   #1
m8kwr

Default Crank Shaft Nut Removal D5 Auto

Hi

I am trying to change my cam/timing belt on a D5 Auto

Due to issues with the car I want to check the position of the markings etc to make sure it is setup correctly before putting a new belt on.

The nut that holds the pulley on, is pretty much stuck, and without the correct tools I feel is going to impossible to remove.

How would people attempt to remove this.

I am willing on spend money on tools (any excuse), but nothing to excessive!

I have been looking at impact wrench's, but confused about which one would be the best to do the job.

I would think air tools would be better, but would rather not go down that route, as I will end up spending too much on getting the whole garage wired up - and there is the space to house the air compressor.

Any help would be appreciated.
m8kwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 17:14   #2
cheshired5
Premier Member

You need an impact wrench over 400Nm to overcome the nut or the tool to counterhold the pulley whilst you turn the nut with a big breaker bar.
I used this wrench for mine. Literally a 2 second job.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tyr6AMMjvs8
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 18:40   #3
Dancake
Premier Member

I have on a couple of occasions set the ring end of a spanner on a crankshaft nut and jammed the other end of the spanner on the ground, then flicked the key in the ignition to crank (but not start) the engine. I wouldn't recommend doing this too often, but it has saved me a few quid and hassle in the past.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 18:43   #4
RM955I
Premier Member

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-CEW10.../dp/B0039BQRUO

Wouldn't be without mine
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 19:08   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8kwr View Post
Hi

I am trying to change my cam/timing belt on a D5 Auto

Due to issues with the car I want to check the position of the markings etc to make sure it is setup correctly before putting a new belt on.

The nut that holds the pulley on, is pretty much stuck, and without the correct tools I feel is going to impossible to remove.

How would people attempt to remove this.

I am willing on spend money on tools (any excuse), but nothing to excessive!

I have been looking at impact wrench's, but confused about which one would be the best to do the job.

I would think air tools would be better, but would rather not go down that route, as I will end up spending too much on getting the whole garage wired up - and there is the space to house the air compressor.

Any help would be appreciated.
you need to arm yourself with the correct crank pulley holding tool , you will need it when doing the nut up to 300 nm too .
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 22:01   #6
keithC70

I've undone a few of these without a gun - I just use a tube over my ratchet. Sometimes I pour a kettle of boiling water over the nut - you'll be surprised at the effect.

I have two flat bars in a y shape so use 2 of the 14 mm bolts to counter hold the crankshaft.

Nor do I use a torque wrench as mine only goes to 100Nm. Just remember your schoolboy science ...... Divide the newtons by g to get the force in kg, so 300 /9.81 is equal to 30kg at the end of a 1m long bar. Easy enough to judge!

Recently though I discovered how easy it is to change the belt without undoing the nut - so why bother? Just undo the two 10mm bolts holding the curved bottom cambelt cover and remove it. Cut off the old belt and the new belt just slips up into place with no force or wiggling required - just finger pressure!

I struggled for years doing it the hard way and I always wondered why the Volvo garage didn't change the bolts - now I know why - it's because they don't take off the old ones!
Old Aug 29th, 2015, 22:16   #7
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithC70 View Post
Divide the newtons by g to get the force in kg, so 300 /9.81 is equal to 30kg at the end of a 1m long bar. Easy enough to judge!
Is it?
How do you judge 30kg of pressure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithC70 View Post
Recently though I discovered how easy it is to change the belt without undoing the nut - so why bother? Just undo the two 10mm bolts holding the curved bottom cambelt cover and remove it. Cut off the old belt and the new belt just slips up into place with no force or wiggling required - just finger pressure!
We only ever hear about this.
It's a shame no one who's done this method has shown it being done so easily.
Just a few minutes of their time to enlighten us all......
The Following User Says Thank You to cheshired5 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 07:49   #8
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshired5 View Post
Is it?
How do you judge 30kg of pressure?
By shearing off the end of the crank and seeing it lying on the driveway after you try.

Get the proper tools. The nut could be tight enough to shear 1/2 drive tools. I use 3/4 drive stuff for doing it.

DDN.
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DieselDoNicely For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 08:43   #9
owyn
Premier Member

I've got mine to do soon, the crank pulley needs changing as mine is wobbly as hell, I've got a Clarke plug in impact wrench so hope that will do the job. I don't have a 300nm torque wrench either so will be going for ttt (two taps tight).
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30th, 2015, 09:10   #10
keithC70

How do you judge 30kg?

Well if you've got weights, you're ok, or a container with 30 litres of water, or even your wife's bathroom scales! ( whatever you do though, don't tell her - I find they get so upset about little things like using the dishwasher to clean parts!) and of course make sure the lever arm is 1 m long.

You know, I couldn't believe it either - I also to my shame commented in disbelief at others who said it could be done but now I know.

So bring your car and video here Chesh and you do the filming and voice over whilst I change the belt. I don't want any credit because I was tempted to do it by others posting before me.

Also I recall years ago whilst in the Volvo dealer buying a cambelt kit, I asked how many they sold every week, and they replied, "many". I then asked how many bolts they sold, and their reply, "none"!

I always wondered why and now I suspect I know the answer as in my experience a garage won't turn down the chance to sell a part and make money.
The Following User Says Thank You to keithC70 For This Useful Post: