Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo UK & the ETM

Views : 2299

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 9th, 2007, 23:23   #11
Agostino

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisoftheday View Post
Agostino,

I have already had the clean and software upgrade Free of Charge BUT it has not cleared the problem and the unit needs to be replaced - the car is undrivable (the dealer's words!).

Volvo UK are sticking to their offer of a 20% contribution to the £600-£700 cost of replacing the unit which is in my mind NOT GOOD ENOUGH - especially if a British Judge in the recent successful Court case by Andrew Worthington has already said that the unit is 'not fit for purpose' (it should last for the life of the car).

I am currently awaiting a telephone response from Volvo UK whom I have told the offer is unacceptable. I assume I'll have to call them again and write in the last instance - the car needs the part replaced and everyday that goes by is a cost that I am determined will be paid for by Volvo UK when I finally take them to court on the same basis as the recent case - IF necessary!

Hi Chrisoftheday.

The only way here is for all of us to get together and form an action group. What do you think.

Agostino
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 15:14   #12
addyman

Is it possible to do what is done in the states and form a class action suit, where one lawyer works for multiple people on the same case...surely all we need is a suitable lawyer who is prepared to do this for us all....

Adrian
Old Jan 10th, 2007, 16:33   #13
Agostino

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyman View Post
Is it possible to do what is done in the states and form a class action suit, where one lawyer works for multiple people on the same case...surely all we need is a suitable lawyer who is prepared to do this for us all....

Adrian

Idea's where we can sort this out Any one?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 13:29   #14
Agostino

Default Update

Hi all.

Just to let you know that I have now had the clean and upgrade done by Bells of Bedford, they were very good and helpful.

On speaking with the service and parts departments, they both told me that this problem is due to "carbon deposits" and a "faulty gasket housing" causing eroneous signals to be sent back to the ECM.

When I asked them what the software update did, they told me that the update stopped the car going into "limp home mode" so as not to cause sudden deceleration. Make what you will of that.

Anyway, the car seems to be fine, but time will tell.

Regards to all,
Agostino
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 16:22   #15
Ben O Brien

Default ETM Also an issue here in Ireland.

Hello there,

I collected my 00 V70 Classic from Volvo yesterday having had the ETM upgrade and 900euro worth of minor parts fitted.

I was told the ETm was gone and needed replacement, yet again. This would be its third. At a cost of 820 euro plus VAT plus Fitting.

I am furious, its ridiculous for a FVSH car to be on its third component in 6 years!!

I just sent the following message to Volvo Ireland through their online contact system. I am eagerly awaiting a reply. Oh you mentioned Volvo were giving 20%? Ive never been offered anything here.

Hello There.

I am a member of the Volvo Owners Club in the uk and have a large collection of older and modern Volvos. There has been a lot of talk lately and publicity in the UK regarding the ETM Issues on ME7 engined V70's, My 00 V70 Classic is now in need of its third ETM after diagnosis by Volvo Dealer Elm Motors here in Limerick. I have owned Volvos for years and would like to continue, however an issue that undermines Volvos safety and reliability which i have seen to be a key element to the marque is forcing me to look at other options. I am wondering what Volvo Irelands take is on this situation? If you could contact me please either by phone or email on 087 233**** and benjaminobrien20**@hotmail.com respectively that would be great.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,
Ben O Brien.

*WTD: Rare 240/242 Parts, please pm if you have anything*
Ben O Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 13:27   #16
Agostino

Default ETM Update

Hi.
Well hare we are again.

I have now had the upgrade and clean out done by my local dealer
(Bells of Bedford) who were very helpful and quite open about this issue.

It has been two weeks since the work was carried out, I have been using the car every day up & down the M1/M25/M4, and covered aprox 2,000 miles.
So far the car has been 100% perfect, it seems to me that the car runs slightly better but that might be my imagination.

I will still keep my fingers crossed for the future.

Regards,
Agostino