Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking suspension noise

Views : 888

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 21st, 2019, 22:45   #1
DeanH

Default Knocking suspension noise

My car failed it's MOT test last week on play in the track rod end ball joint. I bought a new genuine Volvo part and fitted it before getting my tracking done again. Doing this seems to have unearthed a number of other suspension knocks...

When I reach under the car I am able to twist the track rod to the point that I can make the track rod end hit the underside of the hub. Part of me is thinking this can't be right, another part is thinking that there is meant to be flex as there is a ball joint in the rod end.

I know that my roll bar bushes are past their best and the drop links are a common fault. Having said that neither made a noise prior to the MOT? The noise(s) have appeared since I had the test and replaced the joint.

Any ideas?
DeanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 02:06   #2
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

do the drop links too then report back
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 02:16   #3
oragex
Premier Member

You have replaced only the outer track rod end ? Was it done at a garage ? Usually problems happen when the inner track rod is replaced - forcing too much on the rack without a counter hold may cause a rack spacer to fail.

The outer track rod has a rotation of about 30 degrees but its body should not touch the hub. is it the correct part for your model year ? 01-03 are different than 04-09

It is easy to test the drop links, with the wheel at full turn, grab the link and try shaking it with force. May as well pry a little on the ball joint between the hub and the wishbone - without touching the rubber boot, see if there play to it (wheel off ground)

Last edited by oragex; Oct 22nd, 2019 at 02:18.
oragex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oragex For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 09:23   #4
DeanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
do the drop links too then report back
Haven't got time unfortunately, re-test is on Friday and I'm away in London until Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
You have replaced only the outer track rod end ? Was it done at a garage ? Usually problems happen when the inner track rod is replaced - forcing too much on the rack without a counter hold may cause a rack spacer to fail.

The outer track rod has a rotation of about 30 degrees but its body should not touch the hub. is it the correct part for your model year ? 01-03 are different than 04-09

It is easy to test the drop links, with the wheel at full turn, grab the link and try shaking it with force. May as well pry a little on the ball joint between the hub and the wishbone - without touching the rubber boot, see if there play to it (wheel off ground)
Only the outer yes, done myself.

Couldn't get the locknut undone so refitted new rod to same position and took it to a garage for them to do the tracking and loosen the locknut.

Didn't force on the rack, track rod end came off rather easily which was a surprise.

Essentially I just need to make sure that the track rod end is fitted properly so I pass the re-test. Happy to sort any other issues afterwards!

Edit: gave dealer my reg and the new part looked identical to old.
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 16:21   #5
vtwinpilot

Have you looked at the control arms? At 175k miles, my car's front has been clunking for a while.

I thought it was the struts, so I replaced those, but that wasn't it. It's the control arms. They're so knackered, that with the front end jacked up and tire off, bc the control arm goes down to its lowermost position, I can see bare metal at the one bushing. I took it to a shop to have them verify it was the control arms, and they indeed confirmed it. I'll do the work myself, just wanted their point of view.

When I did the struts, I also replaced the sway bar links since they're so cheap and easy to do.

How many miles/kms on your clock?

As an aside, only a handful of states here in the U.S. (15 of 50, to be exact) require a mandatory safety inspection. In Georgia where I live there's no requirement, and I routinely see rolling jalopies, cars one step away from the junkyard, that have no business being on the road. But beyond those extreme examples, certainly there are plenty of owners who are derelict about important things like suspension and brakes. I wish all states required inspections. You know Americans: we love our freedom so much, we want to be free to kill ourselves from our own stupidity.

<hopping down from soapbox>
vtwinpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 17:01   #6
DeanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinpilot View Post
Have you looked at the control arms? At 175k miles, my car's front has been clunking for a while.

I thought it was the struts, so I replaced those, but that wasn't it. It's the control arms. They're so knackered, that with the front end jacked up and tire off, bc the control arm goes down to its lowermost position, I can see bare metal at the one bushing. I took it to a shop to have them verify it was the control arms, and they indeed confirmed it. I'll do the work myself, just wanted their point of view.

When I did the struts, I also replaced the sway bar links since they're so cheap and easy to do.

As an aside, only a handful of states here in the U.S. (15 of 50, to be exact) require a mandatory safety inspection. In Georgia where I live there's no requirement, and I routinely see rolling jalopies, cars one step away from the junkyard, that have no business being on the road. But beyond those extreme examples, certainly there are plenty of owners who are derelict about important things like suspension and brakes. I wish all states required inspections. You know Americans: we love our freedom so much, we want to be free to kill ourselves from our own stupidity.

200k miles on mine. Cycling home from work now to have a last look at it and see what I can do. Yes the control arm bushes look to be in poor condition and in reality the whole front end needs an overhaul. Just need it to pass it's test for the time being though!
Old Oct 24th, 2019, 18:47   #7
DeanH

For completeness all I was able to find was loose wheel bolts - school boy error! The ball joint appears to move as it should, it twists until a certain point which I presume is the limit of the joints own range. The rod end doesn't touch the hub like I originally thought.

After a quick test drive around the block it seems much better, hopefully it passes tomorrow!
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanH For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 16:26   #8
FIBAMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinpilot View Post

Despite all the regulation here, we still see junk on the road and other vehicles belching smoke, so people will always find ways around the rules.
Just last week I walked past a fairly recent X5 with fancy wheels and thought it looked good, until I saw the tyres were bald with fabric showing through.
Could result in someone else being killed.
FIBAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FIBAMAN For This Useful Post: