Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BBC Watchdog and Volvo ETM failures.

Views : 15396

Replies : 58

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2006, 21:16   #41
jimbray

Default Bye Bye Volvo

I have had enough, my volvo is nakered because a company who is so proud of having cars on the road that have covered 500000 is now saying you can only do 80000 in new ones.

I did love volvo's, I had them as cars at my wedding, i've had 240's,760, 850's and now S60 - and it is rubbish. I even had a volvo grill put onto my wedding cake! How sad is that.

My ETM is now making my car drive like my 1961 rover on a bad day. My door locks bounce up and down, my front end bushes had all split and turn on a sixpence is now turn on a runway wide enough for 3 boing 747's.

I will be selling it as soon as it is paid off, volvo service is now rubish and the cars are worse in my opinion.

I want a new ETM, where is the best place to get mine fixed?

Jim
jimbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 21:05   #42
PeteX

I have a V40 - I have had endless problems - had repaired & replaced the ETM at a cost of over £1200 - still - my 'safe' Volvo stalls on roundabouts, offramps etc - just about the most unsafe vehicle I have ever driven - and I have paid for that unsafety.

It is ironic that I bought the car for safety - I still sit with a car that cannot be properly operated despite the many visits to my Volvo dealer.

When I saw the report on the BBC - I thought this would be worth looking into....

PS - there are only about 80,000 miles on the clock.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 11:48   #43
moorman

Question S80 2002s also affected ?

I have a 2002 S80 2.4 170 Petrol

Volvo are saying that this problem only affects S80s up to 2001. However I called my dealer this morning to try to establish which part number is involved, and was told that the part for my car is the same for 2001 and 2002 - it's a 8644344.

Can anyone in the trade confirm this?

I had my ETM replaced at a cost of £675 last february at 73,000 miles after an incident in which my car stalled going round a 90degree corner. The power steering failed, and my car ended up on the opposite side of the road.

Had there been another car coming the other way I would have hit it head on.
moorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 11:52   #44
kevin1

Hi,
I didn't know anything about this problem until a few days ago. my car was Ok ( s80 2.4 auto 1999 ).
I phoned my local dealer and they said i had to contact Volvo for a reference number, this i did with a quick phone call, then back to the dealer who booked it in for the free upgrade.
I am more than pleased with the service.
The phone number for Volvo is 0845-7564636 you will need to have the chassis number.
Hope this helps.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:18   #45
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Got mine booked in for Monday at 1030, for the TB clean and software upgrade, I am taking it to Triangle Volvo in Stamford Hill,

Gary,

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 15:58   #46
cavvolvo

I've also booked my car in for the software upgrade at Stratstone, Reading, for next Tuesday.

But I looked at the Volvo Cars UK web site today to look at what Volvo themselves say about the recall, but I can't find it mentioned anywhere.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 19:12   #47
Andy_eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorman View Post
I have a 2002 S80 2.4 170 Petrol

Volvo are saying that this problem only affects S80s up to 2001. However I called my dealer this morning to try to establish which part number is involved, and was told that the part for my car is the same for 2001 and 2002 - it's a 8644344.

Can anyone in the trade confirm this?

I had my ETM replaced at a cost of £675 last february at 73,000 miles after an incident in which my car stalled going round a 90degree corner. The power steering failed, and my car ended up on the opposite side of the road.

Had there been another car coming the other way I would have hit it head on.
The part fitted to your car 8644344 is not the part fitted to the 1998-2002 V70's. As far as I am aware there have been 3 previous versions 9186793, 8644346 and 8644347. 8644347 is what is being fitted to replace the previous 2 (I have had one fitted to my 2000 V70 in August).

I am not sure what the difference is between 8644344 and 8644347, but I have just done a web search and the difference would appear to be that the 344 is fitted to non turbo and the 347 to the turbo model.

As far as not affected goes, what Volvo mean by this is that it is slightly more reliable than the older version!

Have a look here for a lot more info : http://home.comcast.net/~donwillson/index.html

Hope this helps.
Andy_eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 19:30   #48
lushman

Default Re: Software Upgrade

After wathing watchdog last night I immediately rang my local Volvo dealer this morning who informed me that they would have to diognose the vehicle, clean out the throttle hosing before going near the ETM. I explained that my car had been serviced on Monday with no faults reported on the computer. I also had the throttle housing cleaned 8 months ago. But no, he insisted that this would have to be done and I would be liable for any labour costs. He told me that this must be done regardless but I thought if they typed the VRM of your vehicle into their pc they would be able to tell if my vehicle needed the upgrade. Still he would not budge so I terminated the call. I then phoned my only other dealer and once explained gave him my VRM I got a call back a few hours later and I was told that I could bring the vehicle in for the software without charge. He suggested that if I wanted I could have the throttle housing cleaned in about 30 mins. Most impressed with service and the manner it was dealt with. I have my car booked in for 15/12/06. I will be a lot happy once this is over. I just cant understand why one dealer agrees and the other disagrees. Typical dont you think!
Laser Blue
17" Satellites
Dual Exhaust
Strut Brace
3" Sports Cat and pipe
ECU remap
Mesh Grille
Projecter Headlights
6CD Multi changer
lushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 21:40   #49
SIAMBLUE
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lushman View Post
After wathing watchdog last night I immediately rang my local Volvo dealer this morning who informed me that they would have to diognose the vehicle, clean out the throttle hosing before going near the ETM. I explained that my car had been serviced on Monday with no faults reported on the computer. I also had the throttle housing cleaned 8 months ago. But no, he insisted that this would have to be done and I would be liable for any labour costs. He told me that this must be done regardless but I thought if they typed the VRM of your vehicle into their pc they would be able to tell if my vehicle needed the upgrade. Still he would not budge so I terminated the call. I then phoned my only other dealer and once explained gave him my VRM I got a call back a few hours later and I was told that I could bring the vehicle in for the software without charge. He suggested that if I wanted I could have the throttle housing cleaned in about 30 mins. Most impressed with service and the manner it was dealt with. I have my car booked in for 15/12/06. I will be a lot happy once this is over. I just cant understand why one dealer agrees and the other disagrees. Typical dont you think!
I had exactly the same problem with dealers, some of them just want to make a fast buck no matter how, at our expense,

Gary,

V70 P2 facelift D5 6sp manual E4 Sport SE Ocean Race Blue pearl (2005) 97k, standard.
SIAMBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 22:31   #50
Andy_eclipse

The software fix is a scam, coloured water, it will not stop the problem it just masks it, as does cleaning the throttle housing.

You cannot fix a mechanical problem with software, but what you can do is hope you make the problem go away for long enough for everyone to forget about it. And hope that when the ETM goes everyone just thinks "oh well I guess it had to go sometime" perhaps it has just worn out. That is what Volvo are counting on.

My V70 had the upgrade and housing clean 2 days before it needed a new ETM, a startlingly effective way to lose the use of your car twice in a week!
Andy_eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote