Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Guys help needed V70 will not start

Views : 2235

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 17th, 2004, 10:15   #1
monsterdark

Default Guys help needed V70 will not start

Guys can you help have a problem with my v70 T5 1999 model with ME7 . Problem is
A: Turn ignition on & try & start engine will turn over but that’s it.
B; No CEL light on but have battery light & the orange arrow as if low gear has been selected. ( Battery has been fully charged )
C; There appears to be a clicking sound like an indicator repeat switch but not this from somewhere behind the main instrument panel.
D: In the engine compartment their is a high pitch sound when the ignition is on.
E: When the ignition is turned off there is a sound as if there is something shorting somewhere in the main cabin.
Hope someone can help me cheers monsterdark
monsterdark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:21   #2
mraldonnelly

Default RE: Guys help needed V70 will not start

Hi monsterdark,

When you turn your ignition on can you hear the fuel pump whirring away? If not then it could be a problem with the pump or relay.

If you just turn ignition to position 2 does the CEL light come on? All lights (although I'm unsure about the auto gb lights)should come on and stay on (with the exception of the ABS light which should go out after a second or two) when the ignition is in position 2. At least that's the way it is in the 850. Therefore, the battery light and CEL light will illuminate until the engine is ticking over.

Could the clicking sound be the seatbelt warning light?

Is the high pitch sound like a buzzing sound? Can you hear it with the bonnet closed? From inside the cabin? Or only with the bonnet open and stood near the engine bay?

Regards

Andy
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 11:52   #3
5lab

could it be an imobiliser has kicked in?
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:00   #4
monsterdark

cheers guys will investigate & get back to you
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:02   #5
mraldonnelly

I'm not sure it could be an imobiliser. If it was, the engine would not turn at all as most imobilisers prevent power getting to the starter rather than from the starter.

Regards

Andy
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 12:50   #6
monsterdark

Right fuel pump whirring have fuel & checked at fuel rail bleed valve all ok. all relays fine

Yep big Doh on this one clicking sound seat belt light :-)

car fired up & started but after turning off back to just turning over again, am heading towards imobiliser any more ideas guys
cheers
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 15:58   #7
Traduk

This probably of no value to you whatsoever but it might trigger some thoughts.

I have '99 V70 T5 which has three keys and two alarm\immobiliser fobs.

The third key is "black" and the other two "grey". The black key is programmed as a "valet key" and will start the car but only for a few seconds because it is partially immobilised and at a guess prevents fuel. I think it only runs the fuel in the system but no more which means one start and none thereafter.

I doubt that this helps at all but of the two calls I have received from my wife saying that my car wouldn't start the black key was one and leaving it in neutral was another.

Traduk
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2004, 17:21   #8
mraldonnelly

Monsterdark,

At a guess, I'd say you're flooding the engine. There's a thing with 850's (and probably later variants such as x70's too) whereby if the ECU detects any unburnt fuel in the system it will not supply any further fuel and will therefore not start. Starting the car and moving a small distance or not moving it at all and then subsequently switching the engine off within seconds of starting will inevitably lead to there being too much unburnt fuel in the chamber.

Next time you get her started take her for a blast and then try starting her again to see what happens.

regards

Andy
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 13:14   #9
monsterdark

Right guys
gave up & took it to my local independant, have been tolded that the injectors are not pulsing, something about earth not pulsing & this intern not opening the injectors. Due to volvo gestapo not releasing the ME7 module to independants will have to get it sent it main agent to get a reading then back to independant to see what the hell is going on.
just keeping you all informed :'(
Old Aug 18th, 2004, 20:00   #10
october37

I had the same problem with a 960 2.5 which was described to me by my Volvo dealer as being caused by "Petrol Wash".
Apparently an excessive petrol intake into the cylinders on cold start can cause the oil to be washed from the cylinder walls and thus a loss of compression which prevents ignition, especially if the spark plugs are a bit worn.
The cure is to remove the plugs and pour a little engine oil into each cylinder, then turn the engine over several times using the starter motor, and then replace the plugs with new ones if they are worn.
The engine should then start normally.

Keith
96 855 2.3 T5
VOC Member
october37 is offline   Reply With Quote