Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Adblue

Views : 6386

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2020, 17:51   #21
Scotia64

Adblue warning came on today , adblue tank is half full , the warning was something like “file adblue in 1600 miles or the world stops” .
I’m going to Screwfix tomorrow to buy 10ltrs of adblue, how do you know how much to put in the adblue tank?
The manual says don’t overfill , do you leave the ignition on while filling so you can see the level rise on the screen?
Old Mar 7th, 2020, 09:03   #22
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotia64 View Post
Adblue warning came on today , adblue tank is half full , the warning was something like “file adblue in 1600 miles or the world stops” .
I’m going to Screwfix tomorrow to buy 10ltrs of adblue, how do you know how much to put in the adblue tank?
The manual says don’t overfill , do you leave the ignition on while filling so you can see the level rise on the screen?
When that happened to my nephew (in a Citroen, in the middle of France) it was a problem with the car rather than lack of Adblue.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 15:12   #23
DriverDen

Quote:
I’m going to Screwfix tomorrow to buy 10ltrs of adblue
try Aldi as well, maybe cheaper than screwfix.
Previous - XC60 D5, 2 x V70, Santa Fe, Mondeo, Primera, Metro
DriverDen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18th, 2020, 20:52   #24
Orwelian

Default AdBlue usage

We have xc60 D4 MY18, towing caravan 2500 miles on holiday, we use around half a tank of Adblue.
Orwelian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 00:12   #25
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyfox View Post
The 2.4 is the Ad blue tanks capacity in gallons. Curiosity just got the better of me, went and had a look at the cars screen. Think it's a bit strange using Imperial measurements. Do Volvo know something about Brexit....
I imagine that if you set the car up for metric units it would show litres.
Boatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2020, 10:18   #26
Fursty Ferret

Indeed it does.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 16:17   #27
MarkWilson

Default AdBlue filling advice

Quote:
Sorry I'm late to the party but a couple of observations:
  1. AdBlue is much cheaper on a pump (at major filling stations - you might have to use the HGV area) than in a 5 or 10 litre container.
  2. The sensor takes a while to recognise the fill so if you just top it up until full (like with the diesel) then you should be fine. I read elsewhere that overfilling is more likely to create a mess than it is to damage the car.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkWilson For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 1st, 2023, 17:32   #28
ukden

£1.70 a litre at my local BP station last time I looked. That seems cheaper than any of the 10 Litre bottles.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 17:17   #29
RG58

Default Confused with levels

On my 2018 XC60, the warning light for low level Adblue came on yesterday.

Car status showed about a quarter full and said something like "add no more than 1.9 galls".

I have just put in a little over 4 litres, and the display now says 2.4 gallons but still showing less than half full. However, I think the 2.4 possibly refers to the max as it is on the right hand side of the display. It was not showing yesterday.

The warning light has gone out, so at the weekend, I will add another 4 ltrs and see what it says then.

In conclusion, if the warning light comes on for low level, the car status display tells you the maximum amount to put in, but once the warning light goes out, the display reverts to a standard gauge - 0 on the left and 2.4 gals on the right and the number of blue segments shows the current level as a proportion.

Last edited by RG58; Mar 11th, 2024 at 17:52.
RG58 is offline   Reply With Quote