Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

About low battery warning

Views : 4164

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 18th, 2014, 23:32   #1
x1a0

Unhappy About low battery warning

Hi,

I just bought a second-hand XC60 T6 R-design, 2012. So it has been used for more than 3 years, about 65000 km.

Because I am still working on my driving license (apparently it's not so easy in Sweden...) I will not be able to use the car right now, even in 1~2 months.

The car has been parked for about 4 days. During the 4 days I only tried some electronic devices in the car for about 15 min. This morning when I changed the parking position I noticed the dashboard said "low battery". I guess it might be because I didn't drive it for 4 days but used some battery?

My stupid question is how can I charge the battery? As I cannot drive it on road, can I charge it by only starting the engine and standby? If I don't use the car, how can I avoid battery draining? And how long can the battery live if I don't use car...

Sorry if my question is too dumb... completely new car owner

Thanks!
x1a0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 00:31   #2
Whiterdesign
Master Member

Common problem this my car does the same, just tend to ignore it. If I have my radio on for about 2 mins after turning engine off I get the warning. Never let me down yet, touch wood!!. Think the system is a bit sensitive.
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 05:28   #3
GMcL
0's and 1's

Sounds like the OP has been listening to the radio while getting acquainted with their new toy.

The only thing you can do to preserve the battery is either disconnect it, leaving 10 minutes between switching the ignition off and disconnecting to allow the car to shutdown, or buy a battery conditioner or trickle charger.

Depending on where the car is stored while not being driven I'd probably take the battery off and charge it in the house to stop it freezing before Christmas (assuming this is all happening in Sweden).

Starting the engine and leaving it idling is not good for the engine, petrol needs a rich mixture to start from cold, the exhaust will have a shortened life with condensation which will accumulate in there due to little heat from not being driven and it will take the alternator a very long time, if ever, to replace the current drawn to start the engine at idle speed.
You could increase the rpm while sitting going nowhere, that won't make your neighbours, if you have any, love you or your new car.
There may be a local law which forbids leaving the engine idling, pollution, you will have to check. You would not want an endorsement on your licence before you get it.

Lucky person having a T6 for a first car. In some countries the insurance for such a vehicle would cost more than the vehicle itself.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS

Last edited by GMcL; Oct 19th, 2014 at 05:43.
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 07:53   #4
Crockers
Premier Member

Do you have a friend or relative with a driving licence who could drive it for a few kms ?
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 15:38   #5
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1a0 View Post
Hi,

I just bought a second-hand XC60 T6 R-design, 2012. So it has been used for more than 3 years, about 65000 km.

Because I am still working on my driving license (apparently it's not so easy in Sweden...) I will not be able to use the car right now, even in 1~2 months.

The car has been parked for about 4 days. During the 4 days I only tried some electronic devices in the car for about 15 min. This morning when I changed the parking position I noticed the dashboard said "low battery". I guess it might be because I didn't drive it for 4 days but used some battery?

My stupid question is how can I charge the battery? As I cannot drive it on road, can I charge it by only starting the engine and standby? If I don't use the car, how can I avoid battery draining? And how long can the battery live if I don't use car...

Sorry if my question is too dumb... completely new car owner

Thanks!
Use a Cteck like everyone else does. I'm just posting the main site as they are made in Sweden and you can probably get them easier in Sweden. I have one for every car and the caravan. Had one on my XC90 for 8 years no problems. No low battery warnings. http://www.ctek.com/gb/en
Old Oct 19th, 2014, 16:14   #6
tem
Premier Member

I used one of these on an XC90 and XC60 when leaving the cars at an airport for up to three weeks.
The solar panel was placed on the dash and using an extension cable, plugged the panel into the 12v socket in the boot.
This socket is always live and the solar panel will keep the battery topped up.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Solar-Batter...m/B000R0UBT8/2

tem.

Tags
battery