Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 HU-850 back lighting failure.

Views : 505

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 14th, 2019, 21:45   #1
Duffus

Default V70 HU-850 back lighting failure.

Hi All

Sorry to raise this thorny issue yet again but I have gone through all the suggestions, remidies, failures and very few successes and remain at a loss for a resolution.

My HU-850 cd changer effectively self destructed, so I bought a used same model replacement unit from a same year V70. All works well, including steering wheel controls and central LCD display, with the exception of the back lighting.

I came across a thread from a guy in the States as follows

" i went into the front panel of the HU and removed all the OE bulbs. i then glued blue LED's in their places and wired all ten of them together in parallel. I took a feed out the radio to the back and assembled it all together again. For power, i tapped off of a bulb in the CCM and wired that out the back. i then put a connector on the wires and voila! i have lights again. i was a little worried about adding 10 more lights on the CCM, but these are LED's and current draw is lower than the incandescent's they replaced"

Has anybody over here tried this and if so are there pit falls ?

Since my old radio backlights worked am I better just trying a front panel change over.

Thanks for your time
Dave
Duffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 23:31   #2
oragex
Premier Member

I replaced my base HU-600 with a used 800. First unit same as you, no back light on the audio face. Got another one from donor car same year as mine - everything perfect. I understand it's all a matter of software year compatibility
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 07:13   #3
simonwedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
I replaced my base HU-600 with a used 800. First unit same as you, no back light on the audio face. Got another one from donor car same year as mine - everything perfect. I understand it's all a matter of software year compatibility
I wonder what leads you to think it is an issue of software year compatability rather than the first unit suffering from the well known backlight failure problem whereas the second unit didn't?
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 14:55   #4
Duffus

Thanks for your quick responses guys.

Just to clarify simonwedge's comment, the original HU-850 back lights worked and I assume they still will (thus I was considering using it's front panel). The cd stack just ate it's self.

I had read about the year compatibility software issue before buying the used replacement, thus a 2005 V70 same as mine was the donor car. My local Volvo dealer say yes they can remove the audio codes but there is no guarantee it will resolve the back light issue because the radio I have fitted still allows the steering wheel controls and all other features to work. They think I have bought a duff radio with the classic back lighting problem.

So as I see it there are two options 1) Try and carry out the project as described by the American or 2) swap the front panels.

Either of them sound not easy, more like open heart surgery !

Thanks for your continued interest.
Dave
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 15:10   #5
SteveP
300 Maniac

Sounds as though your replacement HU-850 has the usual failed backlight, mine has gone the same way unfortunately. I was considering sending it off to these guys who are able to repair: https://www.centralservicescaraudio....igation-repair
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 17:41   #6
Duffus

Hi SteveP

Thanks for info, I have seen this outfit mentioned a few times and my local Volvo dealership also provided their number. Tried to contact them numerous times before I purchased the used unit only to get a continues unanswered phone line, also came across something online suggesting they have ceased trading NOT CONFIRMED though.

Just wish I could make contact with an enthusiast who has actually carried out one of my options. I have really researched this radio lighting thing going back over threads ten years old, other than the American guy (think that was 2007) nobody appears to have had a satisfactory outcome.

Dave