Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 SOS vida dice members Salisbury?

Views : 865

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 17th, 2019, 13:07   #1
MG68

Default XC90 SOS vida dice members Salisbury?

It had to happen..

After 3K miles of uneventful motoring, went out to start the car this morning and..

First crank didn't want to go. 2nd crank started and then a lot of rattling for a min or two (from what sounded like under the black engine cover), before settling down-ish with some ticking still present.

Took it for a quick spin literally only 100 yds as it was 10mph tops and in limp mode, engine service required message up and not wanting to rev past 2-2.5K.

The RAC are on the way to plug it in with the their generic code reader I assume so may know more a little later.

Just wondered if any friendly VIDA DICE owners in the Salisbury area?

Many thanks in advance. Mark.
MG68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 17:24   #2
MG68

2004 XC90 D5 163

RAC guy finally arrived..

Started the car and thought it sounded like an injector. Then plugged his snooper OBD in, cleared the codes and camshaft sensor error came back.

Does that sound plausible?

Car will turn over OK, idles smoothly, but sounds rough when given the gas peddle, and won't easily rev past 1.5 - 2K? Together with engine service required.

The car will need flat bedding somewhere at this rate to get the sensor replaced.

Any thoughts / advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by MG68; Oct 17th, 2019 at 17:34.
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 20:35   #3
john langrick
Master Member

Hi mark, I hope a helpful suggestion...

Christmas is coming, why not treat yourself to a copy of vida on a configured laptop plus dice. It should be very useful and cost effective as you will save £50 a thow to get someone to diagnose your codes.

Someone, hopefully, will help you short term, but you will find it well worth while in future.

When you get those codes and publish them, you will find a wealth of members coming to your assistance.

Speak to cheshired5 on this forum.

Cheers John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 20:59   #4
MG68

Many thanks John,

Out of interest is VIDA smart enough to diagnose things like cambelts jumping teeth?

I will certainly look at acquiring a copy of it.

Many thanks, Mark
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 21:10   #5
MG68

Having a chat off line to someone it sounds like a check of the cambelt would be wise first.

Apparently camshaft sensors aren't common for problems.

Crikey I hope it's not the belt has jumped..

Will update when I can.
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 21:34   #6
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, I believe camshaft sync is relatively easy though i relied on the experts to do mine. I guess sensor can certainly fail, the crank position sensor on my old V70 basically disintegrated (fell into the flyweel) and I believe they are similar.

I suggest a peek at a Haynes manual or you tube tutorial should indicate how to align the camshaft, which has a tensioner so perhaps the potential to slip? If it has then it might again be wise so sort immediately or you will cause lots of damage.

I am no expert, but any competent garage should be able to check belt timing and at little cost.

good luck, John l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 22:33   #7
MG68

I've just been out again with the car & warmed it up. It will rev to around 2.7K foot on the floor no hint of turbo whistle at all but no other noise.

If this has jumped a tooth on the cambelt would that still be possible? Without a lot of noise?

It still ticks over at 700rpm steady?

I'm sorry to hassle people.

The car has been perfect for the last 3 months. I suppose a camshaft sensor could just die overnight?

I'm hoping for a miracle amount of advice..
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 23:46   #8
richgj

I’ve got Vida and am in Southampton I’m no expert but can pull back the codes for you.
richgj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2019, 23:55   #9
MG68

That's so kind of you Rich & thank you, but I can't drive the car at all, it will only do 10mph on the road.

Have heard from another member who I met 2 years ago, so will hopefully get something wired up shortly.

Very many thanks again.

Mark.
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 16:52   #10
MG68

Default XC90 update

Had the codes read very kindly last night via vida:

Camshaft sensor and MAF sensor faulty codes were the standouts. Nothing about injector faults etc.

The car is running lumpy on turnover, like it is running on 4 cylinders. Won't rev much past 2K and lots of black smoke out the exhaust.

Before I put it on flatbed to a garage, I read another owner with similar codes who replaced the fuel filter & the car errors disappeared.

Is that worth doing at this point before it gets transported? It's the canister / paper fuel filter type and was last replaced 30K miles / 2 years ago. That's about all I can do - the car won't move much more than about 10mph.

Any advice much appreciated. Many thanks.