Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 324591

Replies : 3020

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 29th, 2019, 18:15   #2121
Dancake
Premier Member

Woke up this morning to find my drivers side wing mirror smashed to pieces. Well and truly beyond repair. Behind my car I found the wing mirror cover of the car that had struck my S60. I wouldn't mind that much if I just had to replace the wing mirror, but the force of the impact has actually bent the metal behind the mirror on the door. Don't know if I need to replace just the mirror or the entire door.
Dancake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dancake For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 18:02   #2122
alanoconnor

Depends how bent the metal is - small dents I heat up with a hair dryer and spray liquid oxygen or whatever on them and they pop out. Wing mirror replacement housing is a doddle but be careful with the plastic bit that attach trim
alanoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2019, 18:08   #2123
alanoconnor

Hmmmm...got in Gloria today. I wasn't sure whether to drive her but had a parking ticket on the Audi in St Ives yesterday. So, got in Gloria - raining, windows steamed up - I have been terrified of driving her lest another costly message pops up...

No messages!!!!

However, the blower on the air con doesn't work...

I drove her with the windows down. First appointment finished and I got in and the air con sprung into Life....

Back into the Audi, threw my coat into the back seat then couldn't open either back doors...spent £700 a couple of years back sorting the same issue....

Thought long and hard today about whether I should sell all of my cars and start getting buses instead.

Then I saw a 64K V70 R AWD for £5K - automatic but I could get that ripped out from Gloria (her gearbox is fine), put all the other parts from Gloria in it and maybe it would work properly. I'm half Irish so that's the logic talking.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 11:54   #2124
Longhouse21
Master Member

Rebuilt the handbrake again after the cable on the off-side pulled through the expander stop. No damage to the cable but the expander had opened up to allow the cable to work through. I've managed to fix it for now but think I'll need to look at replacing both expanders (again) and take a closer look at the bullet ends on the replacement cables I fitted a few years back - it's possible that the bullet end, or the expander stop, is slightly rounded or tapered that results in the expander stop gradually opening up allowing the cable to eventually pull through.
Old Oct 4th, 2019, 13:32   #2125
cheshired5
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhouse21 View Post
Rebuilt the handbrake again after the cable on the off-side pulled through the expander stop..... the expander had opened up to allow the cable to work through..... look at replacing both expanders (again)..... it's possible that the bullet end, or the expander stop, is slightly rounded or tapered that results in the expander stop gradually opening up allowing the cable to eventually pull through.
The design of the cable attachment into the expander mechanism means that what you've experienced should be a physical impossibility as the cable ends would need to pass back through a (strong) spring clip which sits much lower than the cable end stops preventing backwards travel.
I only ever deal with genuine Volvo parts or ATE (who make the braking system) so it would be interesting to know what make of parts you're using.

Some photos showing the problem would help too.
Old Oct 9th, 2019, 21:26   #2126
camturbo

Rear droplinks replaced and front lower vac engine mount replaced,what a mare. Bolts on droplinks were well on there had to use heat in the end. Engine mount wasn't to bad,in fact it took longer to do droplinks than the engine mount. All good in the d5 hood so far.
Old Oct 12th, 2019, 00:09   #2127
oragex
Premier Member

Just uploaded a video showing a few ways to open a stuck bonnet that won't open https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwOv6AIqxHY
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 16:51   #2128
jim jordan

past the mot again with no issues clean sheet ,not bad for a 2002 xc70
jim jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jim jordan For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 25th, 2019, 17:45   #2129
alanoconnor

I don't know how but Gloria passed MOT but then the camshaft position sensor went so my engine was rocking backwards and forwards, Sorted that.

I have a low speed brake squeal so when the rain stops I need to take the wheels off (again).

Went to fill up with petrol and the petrol cap wouldn't open, took the solenoid out and my hands will soon be covered in vaseline...

...oh, whilst parked a scaffolding truck reversed into my passenger door at slow speed causing 2 dents and 2 scratches so ordered some paint and one of those dent repair kits.., for when it stops raining.

Changed reversing light bulbs as they decided to blow

Currently have noises/knocks - cannot be suspension components as all of these are new - hoping the bumpers haven't been put on properly when the parking sensors were replaced a couple of weeks ago.
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 12:47   #2130
EVOLVOLUTION
VAG 2.5 TDI

Default Again?

yet another top motor mount replaced today,two in the last seven years,good job the parts are cheap 12 quid incl shipping from parts monster.
Start to finish about .75hr.
two pics, one of the dead mount and another of the tool i made long ago(seven years infact lol)to aid pulling the new mount in , all done in situ.......it was made from an old transit crank damper center ,then ground away on one side to clear the EGR valve.

NEXT!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20191026_112529.jpg (224.4 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20191026_112751.jpg (244.8 KB, 33 views)